Is it time to Elect Better Republicans?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm To those who point to the poisonous politics of the Trump era and ask how one can even consider voting for a Republican at this time, I’m sympathetic to that line of reasoning. I’d argue, however, that there’s a big difference between the federal and state levels, and that Hogan’s leadership style and ability to work across the aisle is actually a repudiation of the tribalism that has infected our political culture.

He exhibits civility. He works across the aisle with great success. And he has distanced himself from the president on many, many fronts.

Furthermore, here’s another way to think about it: if you’re disturbed, as I am, by the direction the Republican Party has taken in recent years, one very simple (if somewhat counterintuitive) antidote is to ELECT BETTER REPUBLICANS.

A byproduct of casting your ballot for Larry Hogan is that he’s exactly the type of reasonable, centrist leader you’d want to help try to steer an off-the-rails GOP back on track. As The Washington Post points out in its endorsement of his re-election, “In polarized times, [Hogan] has stuck to the political middle, from where he has fashioned agreements that will benefit millions of Marylanders.”

Better Republicans -

Right now everything that should be up - is up
Everything that should be down, is down.
That's with zero Democratic help and minimal Republican help.

I do think that - in the house and Senate(for example) - we are going to replace some RINO's with better Republicans.

(I don't think that is what he meant, though)
I agree. I don't think that's what he meant.
We do need to elect better candidates throughout Congress. I agree that is centrist people. This sentiment he described could be flipped and said about Democrats.

I agree with you that there has been little to no help in passing items and that's not helpful in the long run. Republicans pass things. Then Democrats will spend time undoing and passing things. And the circle continues. We need people who can bridge the differences, work together and pass long term meaningful legislation.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:29 pm
Billie.jeens wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm To those who point to the poisonous politics of the Trump era and ask how one can even consider voting for a Republican at this time, I’m sympathetic to that line of reasoning. I’d argue, however, that there’s a big difference between the federal and state levels, and that Hogan’s leadership style and ability to work across the aisle is actually a repudiation of the tribalism that has infected our political culture.

He exhibits civility. He works across the aisle with great success. And he has distanced himself from the president on many, many fronts.

Furthermore, here’s another way to think about it: if you’re disturbed, as I am, by the direction the Republican Party has taken in recent years, one very simple (if somewhat counterintuitive) antidote is to ELECT BETTER REPUBLICANS.

A byproduct of casting your ballot for Larry Hogan is that he’s exactly the type of reasonable, centrist leader you’d want to help try to steer an off-the-rails GOP back on track. As The Washington Post points out in its endorsement of his re-election, “In polarized times, [Hogan] has stuck to the political middle, from where he has fashioned agreements that will benefit millions of Marylanders.”

Better Republicans -

I do think that - in the house and Senate(for example) - we are going to replace some RINO's with better Republicans.

We do need to elect better candidates throughout Congress. I agree that is centrist people. This sentiment he described could be flipped and said about Democrats.

I agree with you that there has been little to no help in passing items and that's not helpful in the long run. Republicans pass things. Then Democrats will spend time undoing and passing things. And the circle continues. We need people who can bridge the differences, work together and pass long term meaningful legislation.
I have no interest in concensus or centrist, or anything else that means abandoning my values.

In 18 days it will be time to crush the resistance.

After the election look for sessions to come out of his hole and hold people from the last administration accountable.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This looks like a good, although not comprehensive, guide that compares where they stand on issues.

I saw a headline that Sutton's family was donating to Noem's campaign but didn't read it. I know if I ran for dog catcher as a democrat, my brother would sell his pickup truck and donate all the money to my opponent so I don't give that much weight. Lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.argusl ... 1409070002

Poietes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:16 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:49 pm May I ask what state?
Poietes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:52 pm

I agree. I may even be voting for a democratic governor but I’m not sure yet. I have to do more research. I don’t particularly want the republican candidate to win. We’ll see what the research says.
South Dakota
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would never abandon my values.
That whole resistance does need to be squashed out. But I don't believe they are the majority. They also need to be rooted out of government departments.

I'll believe it (Sessions) when I see it.
Billie.jeens wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:36 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Better Republicans -

I have no interest in concensus or centrist, or anything else that means abandoning my values.

In 18 days it will be time to crush the resistance.

After the election look for sessions to come out of his hole and hold people from the last administration accountable.
Locked Previous topicNext topic