Do you think being married for a long time is an achievement?

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Staying in an abusive relationship is never anything to be proud of.

Aside from that, yes, being married for a long time is an achievement. I've been married for 19 years and yes, there have been times it has not been all happy and it has not been all easy. My DH is not an easy man to live with. But he's a good man and a good father and my marriage to him is something worth working on and working through the bad points for.

Quitting and walking away is easy. Sticking with something and working through it is an achievement worth celebrating. Think about someone who doesn't pass the CPA exam or BAR exam the first time. Do you celebrate the person who walks away and gives up? Or do you celebrate the person who keeps trying harder and harder until they pass it? Or think about climbing a huge mountain. Do you celebrate the person who tries once and gives up? Or do you celebrate the person who tries over and over until they reach the peak? Marriage is a lot like those examples.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It depends on the couple.
Aislinn
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I think maintaining a happy marriage/ relationship is an achievement. However, I don't necessarily think one has to be married. I don't think the ring is the achievement, I think the work that goes into any relationship is the achievement, married or not.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Absolutely not. I find it sad when people try to impress others with anything, though. If you or your relatives are a household name, everyone would be aware of your accomplishments. If you aren't a household name, you must not be that good in your field.

Answering a question about your kids or yourself is normal, but constantly discussing how many home runs your kid hit, etc, is just unnecessary bragging. No one except close friends or family cares.
Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I think being happily married for a long time is an accomplishment. Just sticking around in an unhappy or abusive relationship is not.
RedBottoms

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:42 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm Oh hi!

Yes its an achievement-that is why they have big silver and golden anniversary parties for people. Because they are celebrating that they were married 25 and 50 years which is a big deal. Especially in this day and age where people have starter marriages and multiple divorces and kids out of wedlock etc.
LOL as soon as I saw this post I knew it was in reference to what you said.
Same. The trolls are so predictable. And so far it's not going in her favor as most people are saying it's an accomplishment
RedBottoms

Unread post

Spunky wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:44 pm I do. I think today marriage is a snap decision. It's no longer acceptable to believe in and hold true to the vows taken. Far too often people are quick to get divorced rather than facing the problem head on together as a married couple. The vows they took fall to the way side of selfishness and convenience because it's easier to just walk away. People have become lazy and unwilling to have compassion and understanding. I do believe being married for years is a big deal. It takes alot of love, understanding,hard work, forgiveness and compromise to make a marriage successful. I've been with my DH since 1991 and married for 16 yrs. I'm proud of that!
I love every bit of this!!
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Absolutely. I don't think it's great she's in an abusive relationship, but great lengths of time is an achievement.

2 more years and I'll get the "Achievement Unlocked - 30 years"

haahhaha
anon

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm Oh hi!

Yes its an achievement-that is why they have big silver and golden anniversary parties for people. Because they are celebrating that they were married 25 and 50 years which is a big deal. Especially in this day and age where people have starter marriages and multiple divorces and kids out of wedlock etc.
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:07 pm
Spunky wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:44 pm I do. I think today marriage is a snap decision. It's no longer acceptable to believe in and hold true to the vows taken. Far too often people are quick to get divorced rather than facing the problem head on together as a married couple. The vows they took fall to the way side of selfishness and convenience because it's easier to just walk away. People have become lazy and unwilling to have compassion and understanding. I do believe being married for years is a big deal. It takes alot of love, understanding,hard work, forgiveness and compromise to make a marriage successful. I've been with my DH since 1991 and married for 16 yrs. I'm proud of that!
I love every bit of this!!
I love your red Bottoms. I've always wanted a pair. I would kill myself if I tried to walk in them so they'd just be pretty on display in my China cabinet 😂
Locked Previous topicNext topic