Ummm.... he’s 10?!

MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

She should be happy it was a success and he learned something new. That said no my 10yo still doesn't cut his own meat. No real reason why. I just still do it when I am making up the plates.
Ladyiq
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

LOL
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Obviously the boy isn't in cub scouts. As I recall yds took awhile to learn to cut his meat but he's left handed with dexterity issues. By ten he could though. I do cut meat for an adult friend of mine but he has cerebral palsy.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

No its not normal.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I think she's a tad overprotective. At ten he should be using a knife to cut up his meat. But if he needs help navigating a bone, I don't see a problem. I wonder if she still wipes his bum when he poos.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My 6 year old uses a knife...so yea.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not normal. My 12yo is not the most coordinated with cutting his own meat, but I keep telling him the only way he's going to improve is to keep practicing. It's the same thing for him with spreading anything on bread with the butter knife. He's just not coordinated, but he'll never learn if he doesn't ever do it.

The neighbor mom sounds paranoid. "It's so dangerous"?? Worst case scenario the kid ends up with a band-aid on his finger. It's not like a steak knife is going to chop his whole finger off.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:30 am She should be happy it was a success and he learned something new. That said no my 10yo still doesn't cut his own meat. No real reason why. I just still do it when I am making up the plates.
Aw see now you are going to start up the whole who makes up plates at dinnertime debate again. LOL
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sadly, that doesn't really surprise me. I have a cousin who has a son who is an only child and he is super shy and awkward about doing things for himself because my cousin and her husband have always done everything for him. They visited us for Thanksgiving 7 years ago and he was 9 years old (almost 10) at the time and he wouldn't do anything for himself, like fixing his plate and he refused to go upstairs by himself to shower without my cousin upstairs too. He's almost 17 now and has no motivation to do anything, like get a job or a drivers license.
Lolabearlow
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm I think she's a tad overprotective. At ten he should be using a knife to cut up his meat. But if he needs help navigating a bone, I don't see a problem. I wonder if she still wipes his bum when he poos.
Lol, I thought that as well.
Locked Previous topicNext topic