Christmas just for the kids ..

MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 am We draw names between me, Dh, MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL and my mother.. DH and I only do stockings for each other.
We did that as the adults on hubby's side of the family. Everyone drew a name. Somehow we ended up with each other. For years we'd not buy each other gifts. We always bought gifts for other family, and the kids.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 4

Unread post

We didn't really do Christmas with the rest of the family. Dh has & will always go all out for me on Christmas, it's the one time of year that he loves to "get" me. 1 yr, he drove around with a huge computer desk ( in its box) for a whole month ,trying to hide it from me. Lol

I have & will always make sure dh & our children, who are adults ,have a great Christmas.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yeah...we do it with his side and then add my mom since we are all together. Our rule is that you can't draw your spouse. If someone draws their spouse, we start over. We've had to do that many times over the years. LOL

MistressMonster wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 am
mcginnisc wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 am We draw names between me, Dh, MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL and my mother.. DH and I only do stockings for each other.
We did that as the adults on hubby's side of the family. Everyone drew a name. Somehow we ended up with each other. For years we'd not buy each other gifts. We always bought gifts for other family, and the kids.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We have a kids only rule for extended family, but DH and I both get gifts from one another and DS.

Our entire family has a kids only rule for gifts and it makes things SO much less stressful.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, Christmas is for everyone in our house(including my poodle).. if we guest spending the holiday with us I also buy something for them to open on Christmas Day.

**the kids usually get the most**
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My brother and I usually just buy for each other's kids. And my ex's family used to just buy for the kids.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

My side of the family does Secret Santa for anyone over 18 (my parents, two sisters, and older sisters family).

My parents and sister & Bil exchange gifts, but DH and I don’t. So we just buy gifts for our kids, my younger nephew and niece, and the two people we have for SS.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, we buy for everyone at every gathering. Usually just gift cards for adults. We have at least 5 different Christmas gatherings that I can think of at the moment. Yikes. It’s all family though.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Danesmommy1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:46 pm We have a kids only rule for extended family, but DH and I both get gifts from one another and DS.

Our entire family has a kids only rule for gifts and it makes things SO much less stressful.
Totally agree. We started the Secret Santa thing the year we all took a cruise together and wanted to control cost and it was remarkable how much more we all enjoyed both shopping and receiving, so we’ve done it ever since (5 years I think)! It’s not quite as great as kids only, but everyone share lists and we set a reasonable price limit, so you are getting people something you know they’ll like and they are getting something they actually want. And I wouldn’t get any gifts if we didn’t do it, so I’m not in a hurry to do away with it;)
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We did on DHs side of the family. Once all the kids came along it just got to be too much to buy for his brothers and SILs and all the kids and his parents. So we switched to buying for just the kids and his parents because his parents still wanted to buy for all of us.

But our oldest niece is 20 years old and we still buy for her even though she's not a "kid" anymore. We will continue to buy for her and her spouse if she marries until she has kids if she has them. Then we will just buy for her kids as Great-Aunt and Great-Uncle. So really it's about the youngest generation in each line and buying for them. Not so much about kids v adults.
Locked Previous topicNext topic