How much do you deal with

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am My DD's friend has a mom that is an alcoholic. She is with her grandma a lot. The grandma has 2 jobs. The grandma told me this at my DD's friend's bday party and the girl's mom was not even at the party. I feel bad for the girl. She is alone a lot at home and her dad is not in her life and she will cry at school sometimes my DD says. I can relate to what she is going through and it makes me want to help her although I can't always pick her up/drop her off all the time.
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 am To be honest, there are parents of my kids' friends where some are better than the others, but I don't deal with the really crappy parents or those with seriously noticeable alcohol or drug problems. Not that my life is perfect, and believe me it is far from it, but I guess what you are asking is just not prevalent in our circle.
That is so nice of you to get involved like that. Maybe that comfort and support you are providing will be what she needs to get through this. How old is this child?
Anonymous 1

She is 12. On some levels, it feels "nice" and other levels, it triggers me from my own childhood (although I have a great therapist!).
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am My DD's friend has a mom that is an alcoholic. She is with her grandma a lot. The grandma has 2 jobs. The grandma told me this at my DD's friend's bday party and the girl's mom was not even at the party. I feel bad for the girl. She is alone a lot at home and her dad is not in her life and she will cry at school sometimes my DD says. I can relate to what she is going through and it makes me want to help her although I can't always pick her up/drop her off all the time.
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 am To be honest, there are parents of my kids' friends where some are better than the others, but I don't deal with the really crappy parents or those with seriously noticeable alcohol or drug problems. Not that my life is perfect, and believe me it is far from it, but I guess what you are asking is just not prevalent in our circle.
That is so nice of you to get involved like that. Maybe that comfort and support you are providing will be what she needs to get through this. How old is this child?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

I only really deal with the parent of my 12yos best friend and she's not crappy at all. My 14yo is at the point that he arranges things directly with his friends so I don't even know the parents.
Anonymous 1

Same with my son. Did you ever think you would get to that point in life that you didn't know the parents of your kids' friends even as they got older? I always thought I would at least meet them before the kids spent the night with them, etc. But nope...he spends the night and does things with people I don't know. :oops:
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:04 am I only really deal with the parent of my 12yos best friend and she's not crappy at all. My 14yo is at the point that he arranges things directly with his friends so I don't even know the parents.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

I sometimes deal with one. She answers to invites at the last minute( literally like” On my way over!”). Sends super early group texts asking for dentist recs, or other random crap. Asks to have her daughter picked up by any available mom in our group from school and dropped off at another school for after school program when she’s running late. Again right when we’re driving off from picking up our kids at school.

I guess it’s not crappy so much as annoying. She has a special needs child w severe physical and cognitive disabilities, so we all cut her a lot of slack, but it gets old.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am She is 12. On some levels, it feels "nice" and other levels, it triggers me from my own childhood (although I have a great therapist!).
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am

12 year old's need their moms more than ever. Do you act in that role too?
Anonymous 3

None. I do not associate with people like that. I have self respect
Anonymous 4

I've been dealing with a flaky parent recently. She made plans to get several kids together for D&D. Both my girls have been pretty excited. We had 2 days this week planned for them to do it, and she's already cancelled both times. Yesterday, I didn't even get confirmation that it was cancelled until after we'd already left the house.
Anonymous 5

So far there has been 2 flaky moms that would cancel playdates at the last minute or just not show up. After the second time with flaky mom A, I simply told her it would be a shame if her ds and dd weren't invited to anymore activities because she was selfish and lazy.
She stopped being flaky with us .
Flaky mom B, would make plans and invite my kids to playdates or outtings then "forget" about it. We gave her several chances and she still continued without ever apologizing.
Finally I told her that my kids were not available for anymore playdates and not to contact us anymore. The kids said they didnt really like her son anyway because he cursed when adults weren't around and was a crybaby when he didnt get his way.
Fairymom
Marchioness
Marchioness

None. Both my boys best friends are being raised by a single father. Hes a really good dad. Hes become like a family member and his boys are too. I kimd of feel like my husband and I have joint custody lol. I do t mind the kids are respectful, thoughtful teens now but have been around for at least 10 yrs. There are 5 of them so when all are here its a full house.
Locked Previous topicNext topic