Debate this

QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:58 pm I don't have an answer but I want to know in what religion is it against their beliefs for a man to shake hands with a woman?
Muslim and Orthadox Jew
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:57 pm So long as the man treats me with the respect due to me and works with me as a colleague i really wouldn't care if he shook my hand or not. I assume he's Muslim or Jewish? Maybe a slight bow when greeting a woman like the Japanese do would be a good choice.
That is the issue. Female colleague feels disrespected,less than and discrimated against because he wont shake her hand
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:20 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:57 pm So long as the man treats me with the respect due to me and works with me as a colleague i really wouldn't care if he shook my hand or not. I assume he's Muslim or Jewish? Maybe a slight bow when greeting a woman like the Japanese do would be a good choice.
That is the issue. Female colleague feels disrespected,less than and discrimated against because he wont shake her hand
It's a religious thing. I personally wouldn't care but the answer is easy which someone else said. He shakes hands with no one. He can give them a slight Japanese bow instead. If he's middle eastern everyone will think it's a cultural thing. No one wears hats anymore or I'd suggest tipping it to a woman.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

He doesn't see women as equal. That is a problem. It's discrimination.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:39 pm He doesn't see women as equal. That is a problem. It's discrimination.
I was bored so I looked up the Jewish rules on touching a member of the opposite S*x. The rule is complicated and applies to Jewish women as well as men. In that case it isn't discrimination. They do argue if a handshake is allowed to prevent social awkwardness or not. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myjewi ... egiah/amp/
I don't know about Islam but I assume the rule is similar and applies to both sexes. The man should have explained himself. It's possible he does other things that are discriminatory and this is the final straw. But this belief, by itself in my mind isn't discrimination. I'd even argue he's wise, given the climate of the workplaces these days.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am no help, but I am glad I am not the manager or c-level that has to deal with that, lol. I see both sides, is that the only issue between them?!
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:53 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:39 pm He doesn't see women as equal. That is a problem. It's discrimination.
I was bored so I looked up the Jewish rules on touching a member of the opposite S*x. The rule is complicated and applies to Jewish women as well as men. In that case it isn't discrimination. They do argue if a handshake is allowed to prevent social awkwardness or not. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.myjewi ... egiah/amp/
I don't know about Islam but I assume the rule is similar and applies to both sexes. The man should have explained himself. It's possible he does other things that are discriminatory and this is the final straw. But this belief, by itself in my mind isn't discrimination. I'd even argue he's wise, given the climate of the workplaces these days.
It is sexism shrouded in religion.
QuantumNursing
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes he does. Explicitly. It's against his religous beliefs to shake hands
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:58 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:53 pm
It is sexism shrouded in religion.
Maybe. Like I said all the man has to do is shake hands with no one or realize there is an argument, in Judaism at least, to allow the social handshake. Some Islamic men shake hands also.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

QuantumNursing wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:03 pm
Yes he does. Explicitly. It's against his religous beliefs to shake hands
Then if that is the case then he wouldn't be shaking hands with men either.
Locked Previous topicNext topic