Question!

Deleted User 670

Unread post

When they're grown-ups and have to start sending out their resumes, they'll use their full given name. When it all comes down to the fact that a piece of paper with your name and accomplishments have to represent you and get your foot in the door having an ordinary name will probably mean that your resume doesn't automatically end up in the trash bin as opposed to all those poor kids who parents decided to make up their name or spell it nonsensically.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

both of my kids' names, i have shortened over time. it just comes out of my mouth like that. it's still their name. i also call them nicknames a lot. i don't think it's a big deal.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I love my sons first name, but he goes by a nickname
My daughter corrects anyone who tries to give her a nickname but family.
I always wanted a nickname, so I wanted my kids to have the option
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LOL...you reminded me of my aunt. She's a prickly one at times. And she wouldn't consider any names for her daughter that could be nicknamed. "I want people to call her by her name and that's that!" So she named her daughter Sarah.

And then she spent Sarah's entire life calling her Sare-bear. (Gads...there's no good way to spell that.) I think Sarah must be 33 or so by now? Still gets called Sare-bear.

I get a lot of kids in my 3yo classes who don't know their first names...maybe 10-15%? For some of those kids, it's cultural. Many of the Hindu kids are named by the book and then called something else. And all the Muslim boys are named Mohammed, but go by their middle names. But there's plenty of kids who, for no reason other than nobody ever calls them by their names, don't know their real names. So I teach them...no big deal.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Midnight_Storm wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:12 am Maybe it’s a family name? I really don’t know, I didn’t pick names with the intent of using shortened or nicknames. If they choose to, that’s fine, I respect that, but wasn’t what I based picking their names on. Half my family call me by my first and middle name. You’d think it was hyphenated, lol. But that’s mostly because my aunt, purely coincidental, has the same first name and same middle initial.
With my children I didnt intend on their names being shortened. I think my family started it and then IDK I think it just caught on. I wasnt thinking about their names being shortened into nicknames when I chose them. I spent a lot of time on picking them, which I find funny now.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am both of my kids' names, i have shortened over time. it just comes out of my mouth like that. it's still their name. i also call them nicknames a lot. i don't think it's a big deal.
I dont think its a big deal either, I just think its silly. Like I said previously, I spent a lot of time and stress over my older kids names. They had to be perfect. Now I dont even use them. I didnt intend on shortening them. I think its because my family started to shorten their names first and I dont know why, it just caught on with me.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I chose Elijah Gabriel for my youngest because I wanted a religious name for him. For my oldest Patrick is his middle name after my late uncle Pat. He never had kids and I wanted to honor him. So sometimes middle names can be after a family member or for religious reasons. I didn't like Patrick enough to use it as a first name so using it as a second suited better.

DH's family and some of my family calls the baby Eli but I like Elijah better so aside from cute nicknames like sugar, honey, etc I call him Elijah.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Dh has a huge issue with naming children nicknames. Our oldest is named Lillian, but goes by Lilly with family/friends.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 4

Unread post

The names look good on formal things.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I've never really liked my name and it doesn't have any good nicknames either, so I'm sort of stuck with it. For my kids, I thought it would be nice for them to have options. They both prefer their nicknames, but if they ever decide they don't like them, they still have their given names or other nicknames they could choose from.

Also depending on what careers they choose, having a more formal sounding name to use professionally might be a good thing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic