I only attend the charity thing if my son is performing.

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldn't go to that, no. Cant say I've encountered a similar situation.
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I did the same with the choir auction last year. The money goes towards the Disney Trip for the Chamber choir. My DD was a Sophomore and not eligible for Chamber. $200 a ticket and in the end there was no benefit to my child. However, I am paying for drama tickets this year and attending the auction next year (and co-chairing it) because she will be attending the trip next year. I spend a lot of money on choir and Robotics for youngest DD so I choose to only donate to events that benefit them. As it is I was $1800 in on school fees by the end of October. And then another $500 has gone to fundraisers since then. And yes this is a public school.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I would go to all of them even if my child isn't performing

However that isn't a lot of money to me so it wouldn't be a big deal
Anonymous 3

Unread post

You’re not being petty. You’d be petty if you expected to attend for free if your son were performing.
RedBottoms

Unread post

sheramom4 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:08 pm I did the same with the choir auction last year. The money goes towards the Disney Trip for the Chamber choir. My DD was a Sophomore and not eligible for Chamber. $200 a ticket and in the end there was no benefit to my child. However, I am paying for drama tickets this year and attending the auction next year (and co-chairing it) because she will be attending the trip next year. I spend a lot of money on choir and Robotics for youngest DD so I choose to only donate to events that benefit them. As it is I was $1800 in on school fees by the end of October. And then another $500 has gone to fundraisers since then. And yes this is a public school.
I feel you. My mom and I donated directly to my son's band at his public school $250. I told the director I would rather put the money directly into his hands than bother with selling wrapping paper and he was appreciative.

That money will in some way benefit my son directly. They might buy more sheet music or school instruments or something. And at least they let 6th grade band perform at all the concerts too. They don't get to perform at the football games till 7th grade but that is fine. I don't attend the football games though and won't till its my son performing in them. Kinda the same thing.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:00 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm It's okay that you don't go, everyone probably knows you can't afford it. I'm surprised your son isn't performing in everything since you say he's the best ever and he's being scouted by universities already.
Oh I can afford it. I actually went up to buy a whole table and that was when I found out that the middle school students are not allowed to perform. So then I was like "nevermind".

They don't let anyone perform but 10th though 12th graders. No matter how good they are. Which honestly is a shame because there are some damn good middle school dancers.
Lol, I'm sure that's all true.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:15 pm You’re not being petty. You’d be petty if you expected to attend for free if your son were performing.
oh I never get to see him for free. When he was in Moscow Ballet Nutcracker the tickets were like $60 a piece and I bought 5! I paid for my friend to come with her son too. His performances always cost something. And I happily pay it to watch him.
sheramom4
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:15 pm
sheramom4 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:08 pm I did the same with the choir auction last year. The money goes towards the Disney Trip for the Chamber choir. My DD was a Sophomore and not eligible for Chamber. $200 a ticket and in the end there was no benefit to my child. However, I am paying for drama tickets this year and attending the auction next year (and co-chairing it) because she will be attending the trip next year. I spend a lot of money on choir and Robotics for youngest DD so I choose to only donate to events that benefit them. As it is I was $1800 in on school fees by the end of October. And then another $500 has gone to fundraisers since then. And yes this is a public school.
I feel you. My mom and I donated directly to my son's band at his public school $250. I told the director I would rather put the money directly into his hands than bother with selling wrapping paper and he was appreciative.

That money will in some way benefit my son directly. They might buy more sheet music or school instruments or something. And at least they let 6th grade band perform at all the concerts too. They don't get to perform at the football games till 7th grade but that is fine. I don't attend the football games though and won't till its my son performing in them. Kinda the same thing.
With my middle daughter I typically just hand her a check for her program (choir) because she hates fundraising. Youngest DD actually loves fundraising so I let her do it. I donate anything I buy with the exception of our Christmas wreath and some of the cookie dough.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would probably go, assuming kids are allowed to attend. They would probably enjoy socializing with their friends, and it's nice to get to know the other parents in a more relaxed setting.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:17 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:00 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm It's okay that you don't go, everyone probably knows you can't afford it. I'm surprised your son isn't performing in everything since you say he's the best ever and he's being scouted by universities already.
Oh I can afford it. I actually went up to buy a whole table and that was when I found out that the middle school students are not allowed to perform. So then I was like "nevermind".

They don't let anyone perform but 10th though 12th graders. No matter how good they are. Which honestly is a shame because there are some damn good middle school dancers.
Lol, I'm sure that's all true.
yep.
Locked Previous topicNext topic