Pandemic Spinoff

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 am If we see another global pandemic (bird flu, for example) what should US do? What lessons did we learn from Covid? Does it depend on the rate of death from the illness? If so, what would be the threshold?
Nothing. Let it do what it's going to do. Covid was highly exagerrated.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Obviously, if it Ebola mutation or something as equally deadly, so a disease impacting across the lifespan with higher mortality and far more suffering — we hopefully learned to have the infrastructure in place to manufacture, PPE, testing kits, and treatments more quickly and efficiently, than what we had with COVID. I see some of the same policies on social distancing in place.

For more mild respiratory illnesses, that mainly target those with risk & elders, I think we learned first wave shorter quarantine can be effective until medical facilities are ready for the onslaught. But I hope we learned extended quarantine was harmful and I would hope that policy makers would allow those at lower risk, students, adults, to return to normal activities in a much more expedient fashion.

I also hope we learned to continue to provide grant funding to those studying immunizations and infectious disease, and public health — say what you will about the immunization and their lack of duration, if you look at the most vulnerable population — the vaccines saved a lot of my elder patients lives and more their quality of lives, keeping them out of the hospital. And although some in the media felt the immunizations were rushed, the science behind them was decades old. So I hope we continue to put funds into that so in 2120, they are just as ready…
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:22 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 am If we see another global pandemic (bird flu, for example) what should US do? What lessons did we learn from Covid? Does it depend on the rate of death from the illness? If so, what would be the threshold?
Okay how about a polio like illness where we're breaking out the iron lungs for children? Or they have to be ventilated?

I don't think we can ever let it do what it's going to do. I have friends who have lost loved ones to Covid. Who knows what the next virus will be like. I don't agree with extended quarantines though; they affect children the most. I think if there are to be quarantines they should be of short duration. Or reduce school activities, hold classes outside when possible, don't close beaches, etc. I think in return people shouldn't be stupid. For example, if Miami decides to keep beaches open don't show up en masse for spring damn break. Maybe try wearing a mask for the time it takes you to be in a store and don't get in a fight with the minimum wage worker who's probably anxious about being there. If you can't wear a mask, do curbside. Only thing I learned from this was how damn stubborn people could be and misinformation spreads faster than the virus.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:52 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:22 pm
Okay how about a polio like illness where we're breaking out the iron lungs for children? Or they have to be ventilated?

I don't think we can ever let it do what it's going to do. I have friends who have lost loved ones to Covid. Who knows what the next virus will be like. I don't agree with extended quarantines though; they affect children the most. I think if there are to be quarantines they should be of short duration. Or reduce school activities, hold classes outside when possible, don't close beaches, etc. I think in return people shouldn't be stupid. For example, if Miami decides to keep beaches open don't show up en masse for spring damn break. Maybe try wearing a mask for the time it takes you to be in a store and don't get in a fight with the minimum wage worker who's probably anxious about being there. If you can't wear a mask, do curbside. Only thing I learned from this was how damn stubborn people could be and misinformation spreads faster than the virus.
I totally agree.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic