Pandemic Spinoff

Anonymous 1

Unread post

If we see another global pandemic (bird flu, for example) what should US do? What lessons did we learn from Covid? Does it depend on the rate of death from the illness? If so, what would be the threshold?
AZOldGal66
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

By threshold, you mean....?

Mistakes were made all around and we're still finding out more.

I think the best thing as humans we can do is to take it seriously. Many didn't.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:50 am By threshold, you mean....?

I think the best thing as humans we can do is to take it seriously. Many didn't.
Many complaints about Covid restrictions, especially mask wearing and remote learning, was that young population was not as severely impacted by Covid. Death rate of Covid was about 2%. I wonder if there was a higher death rate and if the young population were affected if there would be a different response. If there were a localized epidemic of a disease like smallpox, I would be locking the doors and windows only to emerge once a vaccine was offered.

I agree that all we can do is take it seriously.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:04 am

Many complaints about Covid restrictions, especially mask wearing and remote learning, was that young population was not as severely impacted by Covid. Death rate of Covid was about 2%. I wonder if there was a higher death rate and if the young population were affected if there would be a different response. If there were a localized epidemic of a disease like smallpox, I would be locking the doors and windows only to emerge once a vaccine was offered.

I agree that all we can do is take it seriously.
I never understood the logic of that position. Kids do not live by themselves, isolated from others. Even if they did not get as many serious cases of Covid, any exposure meant they could bring it back to their families who could have infants, elderly or vulnerable members. And the teachers would be exposed daily as well.

There was no perfect solution, but the concerns about concentrations of kids and other areas in the workplace with close contact was understandable.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

If you're asking about masks and restrictions, I'm willing to do that. I am lucky that I am in a position where if something like that happens again, I can work from home.

I will not do online school again. My kids don't want to, they find it miserable. I would homeschool and find a way for them to socialize like a co op or something.

That said, I look at this in broader terms. We are experiencing global warming and late stage capitalism. Our planet is dying, the ultra wealthy are in power, resources are already hard to come by for the average American. The way we live needs to change. My husband and I are focusing on getting healthy so that we can withstand disasters. My daughter is learning to sew. We are all gardening more and trying to grow food. We know of a meat co op where everyone signs up to purchase and slaughter a cow. The slaughterhouse is not far from us. We're also looking to move out of the city/suburbs soon.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We already have established precautionary measures, diagnostic tests, treatments, etc. for avian flu. That alone I believe would cut down significantly on the divisiveness of implementing them on a larger scale. What was so devastating and damaging about COVID is that all these precautions were immediately politicized and became debating points not things to keep everyone safe as possible.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I also want to add that we should treat it as a medical issue, not politicize it. Because that’s really what screwed everything up. People trying to use and abuse it for their own selfish political purposes.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m not quarantining for bird flu…

Luckily, people tend to live in places that think like them. Not always of course, but they tend to…

There would be plenty of places where martial law would be the norm, and plenty of places with people who just can’t be bothered… I live in one of the can’t believe bothered places lol, so I doubt much of anything would be happening as far as restrictions.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Like you said if the death rate was higher and if young people/children were affected people would take it seriously. But the majority of people will not quarantine, wear masks, get a quick vaccine + 9 boosters, close their small businesses, not push their child on an outdoor swing etc again in our lifetime. Not for something that most of the people just had a cough/fever for a few days. Even most of the COVID die hards won't participate again.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

I lost a lot of friends, family, and peers to Covid prior to the vaccine. I would do anything to protect the people around me, even if others found it silly.

Since Covid, I've been been more self-sufficient and rely minimally on 'supply chains" but rather what's locally produced or made. I thought I was well prepared before, but Covid let me know where my gaps were. I grow and can a lot but know that's not enough to sustain me and my kids so have made connections with those who grow, raise, make those things I think I may need.

In some ways I've become a prepper but I don't focus on a pandemic, rather any occurrence that might happen including natural disasters where my family needs to hole up for a period of time. Don't own guns, lol.

My kids are adults so I don't have to worry about school but I homeschooled for many years so would have no problem returning to that if I had to. For me personally, one of the hardest things about Covid initially was lack of socialization as I like to socialize! But I connected and reconnected with friends via zoom and have continued those relationships so I don't think it would be as much of a problem if there were a future shutdown.

During Covid I was an essential worker so had to deal daily with people who were scared and angry. Won't do that again. I think essential workers were SO under appreciated even though they shared the fright and anger but couldn't show it. I have a whole new appreciation for essential workers and will always treat them with the respect that they deserve. My kids better too!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic