Prom Expectations

mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

I’m not sure if kids go to dinner before prom anymore. I’ve never thought to ask. I don’t see many or any limos, but it’s not unheard of. I know many salons have specials for prom season, but I couldn’t tell you how much they were.

When I went to prom, my mom and older sister did my hair and makeup. I think my dress was like $120 or so. I did have my nails done, but I honestly do not remember how much it was. We did go out to eat beforehand, but there was no limo.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:52 am
mcginnisc wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:26 pm My kiddo is homeschooled. Her dress was on sale for $67 at Dillard's in January. She and her friends got ready here at our house- they did their own makeup, hair, and used press on nails. None of them wanted to do the expensive things. They ate pizza and snacks here while they got ready, there was stuff at prom to eat, and I drove them and dropped them off ( the two 18 year olds don't drive and my youngest is 15 and doesn't drive yet.20230420004950_IMG_3527.JPG
20230420005821_IMG_3541.JPG
20230420004436_IMG_3517.JPG

My 15 year old is in the wine color dress, my oldest dd came home from college to do her hair and makeup and her ( the oldest kiddo) two besties are in the blue dresses. My oldest got into one picture to humor me.
I love that dress, and your daughters are so pretty.
Thanks. One of Lilly's besties ( the one with the blue dress and dark hair with all 4 of them in the picture) made her try it on when we went prom shopping and as soon as she came out of the dressing room, we knew that was the one. The one she originally wanted ( my favorite and her ex's favorite could not be sold as it had a rip in the back by the zipper) so this was the winner after that bummer.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:37 pm The prom doesn't seem to be as big of a thing where I live now (NC). I don't see any limos. Kids gather for pics by the waterfront then just go to prom. Seems boring. I grew up in NJ and prom was a huge deal. Fancy dresses, tanning, limos etc. My prom was on a NYC boat cruise and dinner was served on the boat. And then the best thing was right after prom we all went down the shore for the weekend and hung on the beach all day and drank at night. A few idiot parents actually booked us hotel rooms so we could party. It was a blast lol.
The boat sounds really fun!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:08 am For my childrens' proms they all had dinner at the venue. The girls dresses were about $150 each. They did their own hair and makeup. Only my son took a limo which his friends parents paid for. I did not have to buy anything (besides the tickets) for him as since he plays hockey he has 8 suits already hanging in his closet.
Yes, our school district provides food/snacks. Pizza, chips, cookies, soda. Nothing fancy. If it were a sit down dinner, that would be better. I know that by the time I was done getting ready and taking photos, I was starving!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Our school district is 30000 kids, so there is a wide spectrum of what is spent on prom here, as there are a diverse number of families with all ranges of household incomes.

But as a whole, like your daughter, dresses, hair, nails, etc. are quite pricey. But almost all of ours go to a somewhat fancy dinner before hand as well. The prom venue itself costs $45 a ticket. It is nothing to drop $400-500 just for homecoming here and 2 times (or more) on that for prom for many families. However, obviously, there are many kids thrifting, doing their own hair and nails, well under that budget too!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Idk what kids are doing. It's a title one school and most families I know aren't rich. So I imagine they aren't spending hundreds of dollars. Mine never went to prom. I can't remember if yds had prom it was in 2021. If they did it was subdued. He didn't go as I said. My dress was 120 but this was 1984 so I bet relatively speaking my mother paid a lot at the time. I had my hair done, no limo, no nails.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:21 am
highlandmum wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:08 am For my childrens' proms they all had dinner at the venue. The girls dresses were about $150 each. They did their own hair and makeup. Only my son took a limo which his friends parents paid for. I did not have to buy anything (besides the tickets) for him as since he plays hockey he has 8 suits already hanging in his closet.
Yes, our school district provides food/snacks. Pizza, chips, cookies, soda. Nothing fancy. If it were a sit down dinner, that would be better. I know that by the time I was done getting ready and taking photos, I was starving!
Theirs was a sit down dinner catered by the venue. DS was at a golf club, and both of DD's were at these amazing banquet halls. After dinner they had the dance.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:26 pm My kiddo is homeschooled. Her dress was on sale for $67 at Dillard's in January. She and her friends got ready here at our house- they did their own makeup, hair, and used press on nails. None of them wanted to do the expensive things. They ate pizza and snacks here while they got ready, there was stuff at prom to eat, and I drove them and dropped them off ( the two 18 year olds don't drive and my youngest is 15 and doesn't drive yet.20230420004950_IMG_3527.JPG
20230420005821_IMG_3541.JPG
20230420004436_IMG_3517.JPG

My 15 year old is in the wine color dress, my oldest dd came home from college to do her hair and makeup and her ( the oldest kiddo) two besties are in the blue dresses. My oldest got into one picture to humor me.
Your girls are gorgeous 🩷
Anonymous 4

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:37 pm The prom doesn't seem to be as big of a thing where I live now (NC). I don't see any limos. Kids gather for pics by the waterfront then just go to prom. Seems boring. I grew up in NJ and prom was a huge deal. Fancy dresses, tanning, limos etc. My prom was on a NYC boat cruise and dinner was served on the boat. And then the best thing was right after prom we all went down the shore for the weekend and hung on the beach all day and drank at night. A few idiot parents actually booked us hotel rooms so we could party. It was a blast lol.
I live in NJ and they still do this today. After the cruise they all head to Wildwood for the weekend.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:29 am
I live in NJ and they still do this today. After the cruise they all head to Wildwood for the weekend.
Yes I know! My sisters still live there. We just went To Seaside because it's much closer. Stayed in those shitty dive motels right off the boardwalk like the Aztec lol. I had such good times being a teenager in NJ.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic