When it rain it pours....

Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

This is the worst day ive had in a while.I tried to keep myself from crying this afternoon. For one I've helped ds16 study for his permit test for HOURS just to show up TWICE a couple weeks apart to the DMV and be turned away for one reason or another.Today the lady said oh he cant take the test because there is a CREASE in his birth certificate and it isnt photographing correctly...A CREASE B****H!!!? She said the crease messed with a number on the certificate.

So we leave the DMV AGAIN BTW a new b.c wont be here for atleast a MONTH .

Than we get into the car and lo and behold the email Ive been waiting on for WEEKS finally is here.Its my UNLV acceptance email.I look at my transfer credit report, what if report etc. UNLV only applies a max of 60 transfer credits so 20 credits they wont even apply towards my degree but the WORSE news is they didnt take my math credit .

In NYC social work majors have to take statistics to fulfill the ath requirement but UNLV wants College Algebra.I am HORRIBLE at algebra I couldn't even understand 7th grade algebra and I failed remedial algebra multiple times in college. I found statistics not hard at all go figure .Well in NYC I passed my Introduction to Statistics w/Algebra class FINALLY .I got a B in the class.I was so relieved to be done with math.

My degree audit says my statistics class doesnt fulfill the math requirement .So essentially I cannot go to UNLV and finish my degree.It's over.I refuse to struggle and fail over and over again.

I cried a little bit because Im so frustrated because I dont understand why they didnt take my credit .It was a 4 credit class FFS .I now have to reevaluate everything.

I can do an online college but they are super expensive and I'll be stuck in the house even more but just glued to a laptop.I wanted to go outside and interact with people .

Or I can move back to NYC where I know they will take all of my credits but I'm not ready emotionally. I really dont want to move back there. Im open to moving to any other state besides NJ/NY.

Or I can just give up completely say f**k it all and just go for a regular job somewhere. I feel really defeated. I now have to tell my therapist that I'm not going to UNLV and he was telling me how proud he was that i applied and followed through.

Im glad I didn't buy that Starbucks UNLV tumbler I saw last week😒
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Are you not able to take that credit while you’re there?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Can you not just take the math credit on line then reapply after your receive it. This would mean waiting a year to go back to university but give you the time to get the credit and only concentrate on it. Also if you do find a student to help you understand the math.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

It’s 20 additional credits, that’s not that big of a deal and really not uncommon when transferring. No reason to move back to NY for 20 credits. That’s not even logical.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

I don't understand how you can pass stats but not algebra. I think algebra is a prereq for stats in some colleges but whatever. They won't let you take college algebra while enrolled at the college? Can you do it in the summer at a local community college and get a tutor? i agree I wouldn't go back to NYC just over 20 credits. Talk to your guidance counselor to see what can be done. It's not the end of the world. As for the birth certificate I'd look up how to remove the crease. Sometimes paper can be gently ironed.
Anonymous 1

Don't be afraid of algebra. Take the pre-algebra prep class with a tutor first, they will walk you slowly through every step. I was terrible at math but I got through it with help. You can too!
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

All of these seem like minor inconveniences to me.

Waiting for a new birth certificate simply means more time for your son to study for the permit test.

Apply at the local community college for the necessary math credits needed before transferring to UNLV. Having to repeat a math course you have done simply means a better mastery of the material and an easier time in more advanced classes.

It's simply a set back, not the end of the F***ing world.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:36 am Are you not able to take that credit while you’re there?
I am able to but I mentally cant do the work. I have been horrible at algebra all of my life.I started getting F's in math in 6th grade and it continued into highschool where i subsequently dropped out and got my ged .
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:21 pm All of these seem like minor inconveniences to me.

Waiting for a new birth certificate simply means more time for your son to study for the permit test.

Apply at the local community college for the necessary math credits needed before transferring to UNLV. Having to repeat a math course you have done simply means a better mastery of the material and an easier time in more advanced classes.

It's simply a set back, not the end of the F***ing world.
Im already accepted into UNLV. I literally live down the street from the community college my daughter goes to.I started failing math in 6th grade when they introduced algebra and my mind just blanks out when it comes to formulas and the letters.I failed remedial Algebra so many times in NYC.

There are other universities that take my stats class but UNLV doesnt.I contemplated moving to Montana.They take up to 90 credits and they take my stats class.My kids yelled at me for suggesting it.They don't want to move .

If I can't pass remedial Algebra how will I pass College Algebra?

Im going to call unlv back on monday and ask them if I can take the course at the community college this summer. Im going to try one time before I completely give up.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:03 pm Don't be afraid of algebra. Take the pre-algebra prep class with a tutor first, they will walk you slowly through every step. I was terrible at math but I got through it with help. You can too!
Im TERRIFIED of Algebra. I have been stuck since 6th grade I really feel i have some undiagnosed math disability. There is no pre Algebra prep class at the schools here.Their remedial class is combined with the College Algebra my daughter is taking that class now and she's failing it.

Im going to sign up at her school to take it this summer. I'm going to suck it up and sign up.I cant really avoid it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic