My Mom sent me some pictures of UCLA a few minutes ago…

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I was watching a video someone took in the crowd of people shouting “Intifada” asking what it meant… the guy in the video asked at least 20 people, none of them knew what it meant…
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:40 pm Yeah. And CEASEFIRE!!! But hey… INTIFADA!!! 🙄
It’s obvious these kids have no clue about their “cause”. They’re just the useful idiots that will pave the way for the Islamic Republic of America, Hod help us.
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:38 pm It seems like they’re taking their moves right out of Hitler’s playbook…

“We’re just trying to stop a war, so we became Nazi-like to do it…”
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:34 pm I guess those checkpoints are OK…🤷🏼‍♀️

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:41 pm I was watching a video someone took in the crowd of people shouting “Intifada” asking what it meant… the guy in the video asked at least 20 people, none of them knew what it meant…
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:40 pm Yeah. And CEASEFIRE!!! But hey… INTIFADA!!! 🙄
It’s obvious these kids have no clue about their “cause”. They’re just the useful idiots that will pave the way for the Islamic Republic of America, Hod help us.
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:38 pm It seems like they’re taking their moves right out of Hitler’s playbook…

“We’re just trying to stop a war, so we became Nazi-like to do it…”
What does it mean to you?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:47 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:41 pm I was watching a video someone took in the crowd of people shouting “Intifada” asking what it meant… the guy in the video asked at least 20 people, none of them knew what it meant…

I will totally admit, I had to look it up too when this all started…granted, I’m also not someone to be shouting words in other languages that I don’t speak… but to each their own.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/intifada
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:56 pm

I will totally admit, I had to look it up too when this all started…granted, I’m also not someone to be shouting words in other languages that I don’t speak… but to each their own.

That’s a good, albeit pretty clinical definition. It kinda means different things to different people and context is important, IMO.

https://forward.com/culture/573654/inti ... nguistics/

I think a lot of people in the US would have trouble giving a definition because the definition is personal.

Unfortunately, it has automatically taken on a negative connotation or even the connotation of violence. It’s kind of like the Arabic word “martyr” or even “jihad”. These negative connotations tend to be from non-Arabic speakers.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That’s BS. Open a history book and look what happened during the 2 intifadas. THAT’S what Intifada is. So let’s no start with the all lovey dovey “what does it mean to YOU?”
Intifada is a violent uprising. It means bombings, stabbing a, mass shootings. Intifada has never been “peaceful resistance”.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:13 pm

That’s a good, albeit pretty clinical definition. It kinda means different things to different people and context is important, IMO.

I think a lot of people in the US would have trouble giving a definition because the definition is personal.

Unfortunately, it has automatically taken on a negative connotation or even the connotation of violence. It’s kind of like the Arabic word “martyr” or even “jihad”. These negative connotations tend to be from non-Arabic speakers.
When has there ever been a martyr without violence?

I’m not sure it’s a “personal definition “ kind of thing… I think there’s just “the definition” and what historical realities have come from it…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:54 pm

I’m not sure it’s a “personal definition “ kind of thing… I think there’s just “the definition” and what historical realities have come from it…
It means someone who has died in a war, generally a holy war, but also means someone who has died via:
A person who is killed in an epidemic
A person who is drowned
A person who has bedsores, causing fever and cough resulting in his death
A person who dies of a stomach disease
A person who dies in fire
A person who dies under falling debris [in a disaster]
A woman who dies during childbirth.”
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:18 pm

It means someone who has died in a war, generally a holy war, but also means someone who has died via:
A person who is drowned
A martyr is someone who is killed for their religious beliefs…

It does not mean a woman who dies in childbirth…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:49 pm That’s BS. Open a history book and look what happened during the 2 intifadas. THAT’S what Intifada is. So let’s no start with the all lovey dovey “what does it mean to YOU?”
Intifada is a violent uprising. It means bombings, stabbing a, mass shootings. Intifada has never been “peaceful resistance”.

I included an article from “The Forward”.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:20 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:18 pm

A person who is drowned
A martyr is someone who is killed for their religious beliefs…

It does not mean a woman who dies in childbirth…
Not in Islam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic