My Mom sent me some pictures of UCLA a few minutes ago…

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They’re certainly doing that right now.
Lexy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:00 pm
Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:52 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm

I agree. I'm not even a supporter of the BDS movement (yet). Desmond Tutu supported BDS movement. ACLU supports BDS movement. NAACP supports BDS movement. BLM supports the BDS movement. Shit, Ben & Jerry's supports BDS movement - those militant ice cream makers. These groups, (except for B&J's, lol) have always been on the right side of history, IMO.

I also will ALWAYS support the legal right to peacefully protest and many of the hate speech and violence coming from some of these college encampments are outside instigators. If someone is violent or uses violet rhetoric, they should be removed or arrested, I don't care what side of the fence you are on. Advocating for counter protestors to violently attack is anti-American and, again IMO, really, really gross. We've seen what happens in the US when counter protesting groups become violent and it's very ugly.

My daughter went to the encampment at Virginia Tech over the weekend - totally peaceful. The church I attend sent a group of women to the encampment at UVa today. Again, totally peaceful - so far. Interestingly, the last time they went to a protest at UVa it was to counter protest the tiki torch bearers.

Considering how these protests have not expanded not only to universities worldwide but by workers unions worldwide, perhaps it will give pause of to at least some people about whether they should be supported or shunned?

Personally, I think protests will continue to escalate exponentially worldwide until there is a pause. If there is no pause, and word out of Israel today wasn't so good, I think you'll see anti-Netanyahu protests, pro-Palestinian protests, and BDS movement protests merging into one huge protest against Netanyahu and Israel's far right coalition.

As to why the far right in US loves these protests?

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/2024-05 ... 876df83cbe
I hope we see the end of Netanyahu and his coalition. He, Trump and Putin are like the scourge of the world.

Interesting excerpt:

"For over a decade, conservatives have burnished their critique of higher education, promoting book bans and campaigns against critical race theory and Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives – which they see as radical ideology that promotes a negative view of white people and perpetuates a sense of guilt among whites and victimhood among people of color.

Their current attack wasn't hastily conceived, but a premeditated campaign. On October 7, former RNC chair Ronna McDaniel claimed on Fox News that the Hamas slaughter, in which 1,200 Israelis were killed was "a great opportunity" for Republicans to make liberals look bad."

👺
Liberals do just fine making themselves look bad.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

😝😝😝😝😝

When all else fails, try changing the subject to Trump.

Because that’s only been tried 245,477,994,691,927 times…
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I guess those checkpoints are OK…🤷🏼‍♀️
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:21 pm Police had to arrest a bunch of people last night because the protesters started attacking Jewish students and using “wristbands” to signify who was Jewish and who wasn’t … they only let the non Jewish people in.

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:11 pm I noted that these pictures are similar to ones from my local university. Another similarity is that college administration at both UCLA and Virginia Tech (as well as some other universities) have decided to take a hand-off approach other than security surrounding the university. Hmm. Who would have thought? The groups protesting at the encampment at UCLA, Virginia Tech, George Washington, etc. are the same groups protesting at Columbia, Yale, University of Texas, etc. Perhaps allowing students to protest while protecting all students from outside agitators is a good idea?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It seems like they’re taking their moves right out of Hitler’s playbook…

“We’re just trying to stop a war, so we became Nazi-like to do it…”
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:34 pm I guess those checkpoints are OK…🤷🏼‍♀️
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:21 pm Police had to arrest a bunch of people last night because the protesters started attacking Jewish students and using “wristbands” to signify who was Jewish and who wasn’t … they only let the non Jewish people in.

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:11 pm I noted that these pictures are similar to ones from my local university. Another similarity is that college administration at both UCLA and Virginia Tech (as well as some other universities) have decided to take a hand-off approach other than security surrounding the university. Hmm. Who would have thought? The groups protesting at the encampment at UCLA, Virginia Tech, George Washington, etc. are the same groups protesting at Columbia, Yale, University of Texas, etc. Perhaps allowing students to protest while protecting all students from outside agitators is a good idea?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Another time, another election I would’ve replied against you.
I guess all this has made me know better and see that I was mistaken…November can’t come soon enough.

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:34 pm 😝😝😝😝😝

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah. And CEASEFIRE!!! But hey… INTIFADA!!! 🙄
It’s obvious these kids have no clue about their “cause”. They’re just the useful idiots that will pave the way for the Islamic Republic of America, Hod help us.
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:38 pm It seems like they’re taking their moves right out of Hitler’s playbook…

“We’re just trying to stop a war, so we became Nazi-like to do it…”
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:34 pm I guess those checkpoints are OK…🤷🏼‍♀️

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:38 pm Another time, another election I would’ve replied against you.
I guess all this has made me know better and see that I was mistaken…November can’t come soon enough.

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:34 pm 😝😝😝😝😝

Lol 8 years ago, I would have too! Times definitely change…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"The Bible claims that in the Early Iron Age, roughly at the time when the village at Tevet existed, Israel and Judah were a single United Monarchy under the throne of Jerusalem ruled by the likes of David and Solomon. The historicity of this great empire has never been conclusively proven and most scholars suspect it is a later aggrandizement created by the biblical authors."

(...)

"One key question is whether we could identify the farmers as early Israelites. How would they have identified themselves? Should we rather call them Canaanites?

Questions of identity are notoriously difficult when it comes to ancient peoples. Even the term "Canaanites" is problematic, in that it is largely a word used by other people, mainly the Egyptians and later the Bible, to describe the inhabitants of the Levant in the Bronze and Early Iron ages. While the Canaanites are credited with developing the alphabet, they left us few texts and we have no idea what they called themselves or if they saw themselves as a single people.

We do know however that while the Bible depicts the Israelites and Canaanites as two different people – with the former conquering the land from the latter after escaping Egypt – the historical reality was different. Scholars have long noted that the material culture, language and even genetics of the Israelites and Canaanites were linked, with the former clearly deriving from the latter."

(...)

Ultimately, we cant's be sure of whether the villagers of Horvat Tevet called themselves Israelites, Canaanites or perhaps Issacharites or something else entirely, Sergi concludes, but they were in the right time and place to be part of the key processes through which "Israel came out of Canaan and became something else."

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/202 ... c510fb0000
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:29 pm
Lexy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:00 pm
Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:52 pm

I hope we see the end of Netanyahu and his coalition. He, Trump and Putin are like the scourge of the world.

Interesting excerpt:

"For over a decade, conservatives have burnished their critique of higher education, promoting book bans and campaigns against critical race theory and Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives – which they see as radical ideology that promotes a negative view of white people and perpetuates a sense of guilt among whites and victimhood among people of color.

Their current attack wasn't hastily conceived, but a premeditated campaign. On October 7, former RNC chair Ronna McDaniel claimed on Fox News that the Hamas slaughter, in which 1,200 Israelis were killed was "a great opportunity" for Republicans to make liberals look bad."

👺
Liberals do just fine making themselves look bad.
How many charges are there against Trump?
Funny you remind me of someone on MSNBC!
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:16 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:54 am
Della wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 am

You don't moan and cry about a land that your own book says God kicked you out of 2000 years ago, like Herzl did.

You don't needle people like Balfour into promises to a land that has been home to others for 2000 years.

You don't lie about your intentions with the land you weren't given.

You don't steal land that wasn't mandated for you.

You don't claim that the majority of the protesters are terrorists bearing false witness against your neighbors.
Do you honestly believe that the current crop of protesters, many of which see protesting as their profession and occupied Hamilton Hall at Columbia and demanded food and water, are truly thinking about these suggestions you've made?

Since these recent protests have began on October 8th, many protesters have no clue which "river" and which "sea" they're repeatedly chanting about.

While I don't agree with some of what you wrote above (and will not engage in a pissing contest with you about it), the most recent batch of protesters are found to be from "outside agitators" (many of them) who love to create anarchy.

They're there to create conflict and chaos. THAT doesn't help the Palestinians whatsoever.
Do you honestly believe they are all idiots planted by some conspiracy?

https://racketmn.com/university-of-minn ... -own-words

I think the majority of these young adults are waking up to what has been going on in Palestine. I don't think they are ignorant or guided by propaganda. Don't you remember the Israel Palestine wars on CM? That was in 2008. They were around for the news and they have grown up learning about it.

There are some outside agitators, but not near as many as what right wing news has you believing.
I don't watch right wing or for that matter, left wing news. Not on purpose.

I didn't say all but I did say many.

I don't remember any Israel/Palestine wars on the original CM but I don't believe I was posting on that site in 2008.

What else?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic