Woman says she was rejected as a job candidate for her tattoos. Fair enough, or totally unfair?

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 pm She doesn't look very different than a few police officers I've seen.
Not going to lie if I get pulled over by a cop that looks like her I’m going to speed off while dialing 911. I’d honestly think some guy or woman was impersonating a cop.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m thinking it’s more “neutral oriented”. Having a more neutral, natural appearance. Avoid uncomfortable moments with your customers. I can see many little kids being scared of watching a woman with horns and tattoos all over her face and how that could make for a very uncomfortable situation for the client. That’s what “family friendly” means.
But is there something wrong with “conservative oriented”?
Aletheia wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:38 am Unfortunately, TJMaxx is considered a more family oriented retail chain
Is "family oriented" a euphemism for "socially conservative" ?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Fair.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm I can see many little kids being scared of watching a woman with horns and tattoos all over her face
Kids are amazingly accepting.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm is there something wrong with “conservative oriented”?
No. It's a valid niche. If a chain can make a profit by serving that niche, more power too them.

I asked, because it would explain the hiring decision better than it being purely a matter of children being present.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:38 am I'm not opposed to tattoos and piercings. Both my husband and our two daughter's have tattoos and ODD's boyfriend is heavily tattooed.

The person in the photo is stunningly beautiful and has amazing facial bone structure.

Unfortunately, TJMaxx is considered a more family oriented retail chain and there are dress code conditions that include tats, piercings, etc.

It's not really fair but there it is.
The photo they use isn’t the actual woman. This is her. Not super important, but thought it was odd that they would show someone else.
1B517675-A50C-4644-A639-BE4A5B0D3E94.jpeg
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Two things I noticed,
She says that her “application was declined”, so she hadn’t gone in for an interview and they very likely never saw her unless she submitted the application in person directly to the hiring manager.
Second, when I looked at her tiktok, almost all of it is videos of her buying bags from various retailers such as Marshall’s and TJ Maxx and it looks like reselling them. Many companies have policies that employees can’t have active personal social media content directly relating to the company and its competitors.

Do I think someone shouldn’t be employed because of their tattoos? No. Unfortunately it does happen and is something people should be aware of when deciding to get multiple tattoos and piercings on their face. It doesn’t mean that they aren’t good workers, but nation wide corporations often want their employees to have a uniform look. It might not be “right”, but they are legally allowed to do that as long as they aren’t discriminating against a protected class, and tattoos are not a protected class.

Overall she also doesn’t seem to have an understanding of how corporations work. TJMaxx gets thousands of applications a day, they aren’t going to call to deny every application, you’re going to just get an HR email if that. And they have a huge turnover, so yes they always have hiring signs up, that doesn’t mean every person who applies will get a job. If you want a personalized job experience, go to an independent business, not a nation wide chain.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic