The definition of...

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:47 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:32 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:14 am

As far as I know, $30 total. IDK if tip was included. You made me second guess, so I just googled the average price for a 45 mile ride in my city, approximately 25 minutes, and it said $20.
45 miles in 25 minutes is traveling at 103 mph. Uber drivers in your city must be crazy!
I don't know how long it actually took them to get there. Google says it is approximately 45 miles or 25 minutes. I don't know what your point is. Do you think I'm lying about the cost of the uber? LOL That's not really the point here, is it?
No I don't think you're lying at all. I'm saying that the Uber charge of $30 was a gift as a 45 mile trip would normally cost between $50 - $100 excluding tip. Just re-emphasizing how little knowledge and preparation went into this planned birthday trip. What did your daughter think it was going to cost and has she ever taken an Uber before? When she booked the Uber there and got the price, why wasn't she clued in that there weren't enough funds for a return trip? I get that teens don't always plan well and get surprised at the cost of stuff that they've never had to pay for themselves but I would be more upset that they must have known that they didn't have enough money at the first leg of the Uber and certainly when seeing the menu prices and yet they continued to order and eat and just relied on a parent to "fix it". I would be furious!
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:48 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:35 am Oh my, well, it was certainly a learning experience for all involved.

Do you guys live fairly rural? Here in our area, they all have vehicles and definitely eat out a fair amount yo know the price of things…
No, we live in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. We eat out all the time but a restaurant like that, not so much. They could have looked at the menu online, though.
Not only looked at it online, but once they got there they should have considered how much they have before ordering. I definitely have gotten to restaurants before and saw that the cost was more than I was planning to spend, but that’s when they should have considered, I have $60, it’s $30 for the Uber back, so instead of the $50 entree I’m going to order something under $20 off the hors doeuvres menu. But it sounds like they learned a lesson and it’s better than they learn it now vs later.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:05 am

45 miles in 25 minutes is traveling at 103 mph. Uber drivers in your city must be crazy!
I don't know how long it actually took them to get there. Google says it is approximately 45 miles or 25 minutes. I don't know what your point is. Do you think I'm lying about the cost of the uber? LOL That's not really the point here, is it?
No I don't think you're lying at all. I'm saying that the Uber charge of $30 was a gift as a 45 mile trip would normally cost between $50 - $100 excluding tip. Just re-emphasizing how little knowledge and preparation went into this planned birthday trip. What did your daughter think it was going to cost and has she ever taken an Uber before? When she booked the Uber there and got the price, why wasn't she clued in that there weren't enough funds for a return trip? I get that teens don't always plan well and get surprised at the cost of stuff that they've never had to pay for themselves but I would be more upset that they must have known that they didn't have enough money at the first leg of the Uber and certainly when seeing the menu prices and yet they continued to order and eat and just relied on a parent to "fix it". I would be furious!
That’s honestly the biggest lesson that I would also want her to learn from it. Yes, planning ahead is important, but at some point they all saw that they weren’t going to have enough money and went ahead with their plan, ordering and eating anyway knowing that they had no way to pay for it or transportation home.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sounds like the girls should have had a parent oversee the plans before the evening commenced. Not do it for them, but once the girls decided 'yup, we've got it all figured out' then as a parent I would start asking questions about how much things were and how much they have and what about this or that. If they couldn't answer the questions then that would be their key that they actually don't have it all figured out.

We've made our teens plan things out on their own for the family, including mapping and timing and such. But as the parents we look at their plan when they are done and we show them as a learning experience where they perhaps missed something. This way they can learn without ruining someone's birthday experience.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:05 am

I once did a 14 mile uber trip and that cost me $50. It was from the Las Vegas airport and not booked ahead of time so I'm guessing that's part of why it cost so much. But yeah, 45 miles for $30 sounds like a steal of a deal.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I say its a learning experience. These are things they have to learn either by observing family or trial and error on their own.

Glad they were able to at least move forward with most of their plans. Sucks that it got tanked due to not planning the finances a little better.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic