Did you make your teen get a job?

EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. In fact, I didn't really want her to have a job during HS or college because I we both thought her studies were the most important thing. But she wanted to get a job so she worked part time at the county library.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Mine went out on her own and got a job at 15. She had a crazy school, cheer schedule but she wanted more independence and to save up for car expenses. She also contributed to her college expenses and lived out on her own. She's now a 3rd year first grade teacher and owns her own home.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I got my first "real" job at 16 and have been working ever since. We never made the kids get jobs as long as they were going to school and playing sports. DS figured out during his junior year that he wanted more money so he got a part-time job that worked with his sports schedule. He then had a few different jobs throughout the rest og HS.

DD is 16 and in her junior year. She has not yet felt the need to get a job and we are not forcing the issue as she is playing volleyball. We did tell her that after her senior season of vb she will be expected to get a part-time job since she is planning to have early release at school and her club practices are later in the evening.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I got a job summer before my Junior year of high school. Personally I preferred the job over high school but I still did school and graduated.

My 19yo got one right after he graduated HS. My 17yo, currently a Junior, doesn't have one. Both my boys struggle just to keep up with school so I'm fine with them focusing only on school and not being weighed down by a job as well. When the 17yo graduates HS, if he carries a full load at the local community college then we probably won't require him to get a job. If he's only going to do a couple classes at a time then he will need a job as well. Both my boys are too good at sitting around the house doing nothing so they need something to get them out and accomplishing something.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 pm I got a job summer before my Junior year of high school. Personally I preferred the job over high school but I still did school and graduated.

My 19yo got one right after he graduated HS. My 17yo, currently a Junior, doesn't have one. Both my boys struggle just to keep up with school so I'm fine with them focusing only on school and not being weighed down by a job as well. When the 17yo graduates HS, if he carries a full load at the local community college then we probably won't require him to get a job. If he's only going to do a couple classes at a time then he will need a job as well. Both my boys are too good at sitting around the house doing nothing so they need something to get them out and accomplishing something.
This reminds me of an episode I saw of Wheel of Fortune. They introduced a young lady and she said she was a stay at home daughter LOL.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:53 pm Make them? No.

Their "job" was school and whatever activities they were involved in.

However, if they had wanted to, they could have.
This^^^
Anonymous 3

Unread post

My oldest chose to work. When my middle decided the university he chose wasn’t for him, we made him get a job for a semester before going back to school. My youngest has a heavy courseload of her own choosing and a busy athletics schedule so maybe this summer.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

My son wanted to get a job right after quarantine as he turned 16 but I wouldn't let him because of what was going on in the world. But I ended up letting him at 16 1/2. He got his license so I didn't have to worry about transportation. My DD also wanted to get a job as soon as she turned 16 and she got her license right after her bday last summer and got a job that month. She works about 2 days a week and it's perfect for her as she also has dance and a social life and of course school. Both of my kids love working for money.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I didn't make him and I didn't stop him. At some point when he was 16 he was no longer comfortable taking my money for gas and dates and friends, so he went out and got a job.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My daughter has been wanting to get a job for a while but we were going through so much with her and also as a family, a job for her just wasn't in the works. But now we're doing much better and I want her to get a job. She's a very expensive child and it's high time she starts learning just how expensive (and uncessary) her skin care routine is. LOL
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic