Spin off- My kids are learning in school that stereotypes based on race are bad.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:57 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 pm
Della wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:38 pm

Ok, but you're the one who said that's not what it means.
Fair enough, being woke doesn’t mean “being nice to people “ to me.

What do you think about the post itself?
I think you are coming from an agenda driven perspective with this post. And I wonder if Arkansas law allows this to be discussed in classrooms.
I haven’t heard of any parent having an issue with it…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Long answer now that I'm home:

Stereotypes are a lazy way to sort through diversity and provide a mental short cut and they are learned bias. Yes, stereotypes are "bad" and not just ones based on race so I absolutely agree that it should be taught as "bad" however it has to come with context for it actually be effectively taught because if not, it just becomes something that kids don't say rather than actual understanding.

Take your example - "Asians are good at math". Of course this is damaging.
"Where did the stereotype come from?" Learners in Asian countries as well as Asian-American learners in the US routinely score better on math portion of standardized tests.
"Oh, so Asians are good in math?"
The reason they score higher is that the education system in some Asian countries is focused on end of primary testing and success and failure is based on how one does on these tests. Education therefore from early primary on is "teaching to the test". In 1965, US implemented basically a recruitment (particularly China and Korea) enabling thousands of skilled, middle class Asians to immigrate to the US. Along with their high techincal skills, they brought their culture of learning and SAT testing was internalized as being synonymous with end of primary testing. So much so that test prep companies specifically targeted Asian families, marketing their product as being able to help grant success, and a significantly higher percentage of Asian Americans employ the use of test prep services compared to other racial demographics.
Outcome - Asian-Americans, especially 2nd or 3rd generation American and especially with a Chinese/Korean/Indian heritage, score better on math portion of SATs and are therefore stereotyped as "Asians are good at math" which in reality, Asians who have had the advantage of test prep score no better or worse than those of other races who have had the benefit of test prep.
"Why is this bad?" First, it's creating a perception that all Asians come from a select few countries and that "math" is something that is genetically inherent which leads to diminishing personal success as well as not recognizing personal challenges. Also, when you believe that one race is superior in one aspect, then logically, it means that others are inferior which leads to racial categorizing, stigmatizing, and discrimination.
"Yeah, that sounds really bad."

Sorry for the novel, lol. But I think it's really important when teaching about stereotypes, especially the negative impact of stereotypes, that the history is addressed. If a teacher told my kid that "stereotypes were bad" without this context, I would be very disappointed and not see it as teaching at all.

And, I'm not an educator! So some of my statements above may be incorrect as I'm going on the fly, lol. I would hope that a teacher would research and provide information that was accurate but that the basic gist would be the above.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree when the stereotype is just based on race. As if Asians are innately good at math for genetic reasons. But it may well be that other factors contribute to certain “stereotypes” and there’s nothing wrong to acknowledge that- maybe their education is strongly based on math skills. Of course it won’t mean that every Asian will be good at math, but the tendency amongst Asians to be good at math is high.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not to me either. They’re just nice to the people they agree with- usually people they see as weak and “oppressed”- but they’re very hateful and even violent to the people they don’t like.
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:29 pm

What does it matter? This is a post about positive stereotypes and whether they’re ok or not.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:44 pm Not to me either. They’re just nice to the people they agree with- usually people they see as weak and “oppressed”- but they’re very hateful and even violent to the people they don’t like.

Yeah. Like after the Holocaust. Those people.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:39 am
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:44 pm Not to me either. They’re just nice to the people they agree with- usually people they see as weak and “oppressed”- but they’re very hateful and even violent to the people they don’t like.

Why do you keep trying to throw the holocaust at her?

What is wrong with sticking to the subject, why do you keep trying to catch people out instead?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If you read her posts, the answer to that question is pretty obvious. I also fail to see what the Holocaust has to do with my comment, that didn’t even cross my mind, but there you go. She always tries to bring up the Holocaust or Israel whenever remotely possible 🤷🏼‍♀️😂😂
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:16 am

What is wrong with sticking to the subject, why do you keep trying to catch people out instead?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:23 pm If you read her posts, the answer to that question is pretty obvious. I also fail to see what the Holocaust has to do with my comment, that didn’t even cross my mind, but there you go. She always tries to bring up the Holocaust or Israel whenever remotely possible 🤷🏼‍♀️😂😂
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:16 am

It's obvious your original comment was directed towards me. Your disdain and hatred for Arabs is quite well known.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic