Do you keep cash in the house?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 am Guilty of embezzlement.

But sure, let’s take a poll to find out if it’s normal to keep 50Gs at home with no CTRs to confirm how it got there…
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:49 am
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:43 am Haha… there are the crickets huh?

We can talk about a racial stereotype being the reason she might be innocent, but the actual testimony under oath is going to be ignored if it makes her look guilty…
Guilty of what? This is an evidentiary hearing to determine if any conflict of interest might exist, not a crime. I did not watch the entire court proceeding so I can't speak to your quote. Nor am I an attorney.

I made a thread about the choice to keep cash in your home, which I was taught to do. If you want to discuss that I am all ears.
Willis supposedly reimbursed Wade $5000 in cash over the course of 2 years for two trips. I'm the one who mentioned the $50,000 figure.

There is nothing illegal with a government employee going on vacation or eating out 🤣 The legality is whether she accepted gifts (the vacation) and didn't disclose them which gifts over $100 must be disclosed. It is also illegal to accept gifts over $100 from someone with whom you don't have a relationship.

Wade testified that he was reimbursed in cash, Willis testified that she reimbursed in cash, and Willis's father testified that she was raised to keep and pay in cash because of his experience during Civil Rights era of credit cards being declined.

The question in the OP was was that something that others do or were taught. Some answered yes and some answered no. You OBVIOUSLY were a "no", lol. But leave it to good ol' Slim to bring the wild drama!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:32 am

But sure, let’s take a poll to find out if it’s normal to keep 50Gs at home with no CTRs to confirm how it got there…
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:49 am

Guilty of what? This is an evidentiary hearing to determine if any conflict of interest might exist, not a crime. I did not watch the entire court proceeding so I can't speak to your quote. Nor am I an attorney.

I made a thread about the choice to keep cash in your home, which I was taught to do. If you want to discuss that I am all ears.
Willis supposedly reimbursed Wade $5000 in cash over the course of 2 years for two trips. I'm the one who mentioned the $50,000 figure.

There is nothing illegal with a government employee going on vacation or eating out 🤣 The legality is whether she accepted gifts (the vacation) and didn't disclose them which gifts over $100 must be disclosed. It is also illegal to accept gifts over $100 from someone with whom you don't have a relationship.

Wade testified that he was reimbursed in cash, Willis testified that she reimbursed in cash, and Willis's father testified that she was raised to keep and pay in cash because of his experience during Civil Rights era of credit cards being declined.

The question in the OP was was that something that others do or were taught. Some answered yes and some answered no. You OBVIOUSLY were a "no", lol. But leave it to good ol' Slim to bring the wild drama!
Lol I didn’t bring any drama, I said I thought she way lying, then when everyone brought up reasonings why they though she was believable I still said, nope, I think that’s ridiculous, I still think she’s lying.

Your own reasonings are the drama lol.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:39 am

Lol I didn’t bring any drama, I said I thought she way lying, then when everyone brought up reasonings why they though she was believable I still said, nope, I think that’s ridiculous, I still think she’s lying.

Okay, just to clarify:
My dad kept cash - he's was not in the mob
I keep cash - I'm not in the mob
My son keeps cash - he's not in the mob
My daughter keeps cash - she's not in the mob
I assume about 1/5 of my customers keep cash 'cause they pay with $100 bills every time which is annoying. I doubt they're in the mob.

Many people keep cash at home for a variety of reasons, sometimes that is what they were taught.

😜
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:59 am

Okay, just to clarify:
I assume about 1/5 of my customers keep cash 'cause they pay with $100 bills every time which is annoying. I doubt they're in the mob.

Many people keep cash at home for a variety of reasons, sometimes that is what they were taught.

😜
I think plenty of people keep cash at home… but I don’t think many people ( including millionaires) keep huge amounts of cash at home 🤷‍♀️ It’s an unwise financial decision to say the least. Particularly if you’re someone who is supposed to abide by the ABA’s prosecution function.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:26 am

Okay, just to clarify:

😜
I think plenty of people keep cash at home… but I don’t think many people ( including millionaires) keep huge amounts of cash at home 🤷‍♀️ It’s an unwise financial decision to say the least. Particularly if you’re someone who is supposed to abide by the ABA’s prosecution function.
I think we have a different definition of "huge" in this context.

The amounts I heard mentioned as reimbursement were less than $3000 for a trip. I am booking a trip this weekend that is more than $5000 each for myself and DH.

A higher COL area like the DC Metro area has higher salaries and higher price tags. None of this sounds like "huge" money to me.

Also - just going to mention that where I live merchants give discounts if you pay in cash. Boat rentals, hotels, restaurants, excursions, etc. So keeping a few thousand cash on hand for shopping is quite common. People do this for all kinds of reasons.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:39 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:30 pm Just to clarify, I answered your question from a personal perspective and I realize that I'm a bit unusual due to living out of the country for most of my life. I think it's also important to remember that during Jim Crow, Blacks did not have the same access to banks as whites so John Floyd, as a Black man during Jim Crow, probably passed down lessons to his daughter that we are privileged to not have to think about.
This is a federal prosecutor with full access to bank accounts both checking and saving…

She’s hiding money.

I highly doubt there’s any Jim Crow laws that affected her decisions this year, it’s prosecution that is affecting her money hiding ways lol…
She’s not a federal prosecutor, she’s a District Attorney.

What are you basing your assertion that her “money hiding ways” were a “decision this year” on? Merchant and Sadow didn’t argue she never used or kept cash at home before the start of the Trump RICO case.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:26 am

Okay, just to clarify:

😜
I'm not a millionaire but I don't think $5000 is a huge amount of cash to have at home. Financially, it's the same as having it in your checking account just without the fees and not as secure.

Personally, I deal a lot with cash purchases and sales so rotate through A LOT of cash. When making business purchases (or FB marketplace purchases which I'm kind of an addict), I always get a paid invoice, even written on a scrap of paper. Fani Willis should have done the same when she reimbursed Wade but I wouldn't think of it when reimbursing, loaning, of gifting money to friends and family either.

It would have been super easy for Wade or Willis to prepare a receipt of payment post dated to the time of reimbursement. Super easy! The fact that she didn't present such a receipt, to me at least, lends to her credibility.

My mom and dad accumulated a lot of wealth and technically they were millionaires. They invested a lot, had considerable savings, and yup, had large amount of cash in the closet which my dad rotated through for work. That cash is now in my mom's checking account but boy-oh-boy was that a stressful car ride home for me with a gym bag of $50,000, all my mom's jewelry, and a couple priceless antiquities loaded in the back of my CRV!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:12 am I'm not a millionaire but I don't think $5000 is a huge amount of cash to have at home. Financially, it's the same as having it in your checking account just without the fees and not as secure.

Personally, I deal a lot with cash purchases and sales so rotate through A LOT of cash. When making business purchases (or FB marketplace purchases which I'm kind of an addict), I always get a paid invoice, even written on a scrap of paper. Fani Willis should have done the same when she reimbursed Wade but I wouldn't think of it when reimbursing, loaning, of gifting money to friends and family either.

It would have been super easy for Wade or Willis to prepare a receipt of payment post dated to the time of reimbursement. Super easy! The fact that she didn't present such a receipt, to me at least, lends to her credibility.

My mom and dad accumulated a lot of wealth and technically they were millionaires. They invested a lot, had considerable savings, and yup, had large amount of cash in the closet which my dad rotated through for work. That cash is now in my mom's checking account but boy-oh-boy was that a stressful car ride home for me with a gym bag of $50,000, all my mom's jewelry, and a couple priceless antiquities loaded in the back of my CRV!
Can totally relate - we had to evacuate our home during a weather event, which turned into a months-long displacement. Packed the car with not only emergency clothing but also financial records, insurance documents, passports, computers, valuables, jewelry, cash, etc. But then where do you park it all? We ended up getting multiple safe deposit boxes (our local bank branch was closed for months) but even that transfer was a bit nerve wracking. Also learned not to keep anything in the local bank you might need during an emergency!!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:31 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:12 am I'm not a millionaire but I don't think $5000 is a huge amount of cash to have at home. Financially, it's the same as having it in your checking account just without the fees and not as secure.

Can totally relate - we had to evacuate our home during a weather event, which turned into a months-long displacement. Packed the car with not only emergency clothing but also financial records, insurance documents, passports, computers, valuables, jewelry, cash, etc. But then where do you park it all? We ended up getting multiple safe deposit boxes (our local bank branch was closed for months) but even that transfer was a bit nerve wracking. Also learned not to keep anything in the local bank you might need during an emergency!!
Wow! That must have been stressful in so many ways. Not nearly the same thing but my kids and I were at the Outer Banks a couple of years ago and the entire island lost power and cell service! I have never felt so weirdly isolated. I've lived in cash only countries so used to that, used to limited power and spotty internet too. But to lose both for days here in the US really was scary and made me realize how unprepared most of our to deal with catastrophic weather events. You were smart to prepare for the longer haul and I bet a lot of people weren't.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:53 am
MonarchMom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:31 am
Wow! That must have been stressful in so many ways. Not nearly the same thing but my kids and I were at the Outer Banks a couple of years ago and the entire island lost power and cell service! I have never felt so weirdly isolated. I've lived in cash only countries so used to that, used to limited power and spotty internet too. But to lose both for days here in the US really was scary and made me realize how unprepared most of our to deal with catastrophic weather events. You were smart to prepare for the longer haul and I bet a lot of people weren't.
Yes - family members kidded us at first because we moved both cars inland to higher ground and lugged my desktop computer along in the car. But we were so glad we did. So many neighbors lost cars, boats, financial records, heirlooms and more. Learned a lot about what we value and what we can and can't replace.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic