You are supposed to pronounce the word “the” two different ways.

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say.
MrsDavidB wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:43 pm Yes after seeing you write that sentence I would say it that way also. You are correct.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:36 pm That is exactly how everyone here says it. West Coast. Like, we are going the thuh store after thē end of the show. Never hear "thuh" end.

MrsDavidB wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:26 pm Ok, but nobody does that. People don't go around in casual conversation saying "We are going to thee opera."
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Speech is rarely grammatically correct. Anyone who thinks it should be is probably not much fun to be around.

Knowing this won’t change anything for people. I’m from the south; my speech overflows with slang, mispronunciations, and grammar mistakes.

For the record, I did know this; I just don’t care.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No-I think a majority of people DO use most words appropriately, even in casual conversation, because they understand the rules and the exceptions of the English language. If you pay attention, it will become second nature and you won't have to stop and think about it. The rules exist so we can all communicate clearly.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The teaching method on how to read has shifted over time and as a result our speech has followed and adapted to the new method. I remember growing up it was very heavily phonics based where each letter made a particular sound (or two) and it was affected by the following words as well. Now it is all "Sight words" and they don't even teach phonics for reading, especially with words like "the" "and" "a" etc. So when talking to those who are younger you will notice that they tend to use one form of "the" as opposed to differentiating between them based on the preceding words.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm pretty sure for the most part I follow that in my speech without even thinking about it. "Thee" naturally flows out of the mouth easier when it's followed by a vowel. Am I perfect at it? I'm sure I'm not. But generally speaking, yes I do follow that rule in my speech.

Side note: I'm in a group on FB with English speakers from all over the world. In one discussion about different pronunciations, some people (pretty sure not American) were saying that the words "caught" and "court" sound exactly the same when spoken. I can understand different pronunciations from different accents, dialects, etc - but I absolutely don't understand how in any universe those two words sounds exactly the same. If anyone can attempt to explain it I will try to understand.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:29 am I'm pretty sure for the most part I follow that in my speech without even thinking about it. "Thee" naturally flows out of the mouth easier when it's followed by a vowel. Am I perfect at it? I'm sure I'm not. But generally speaking, yes I do follow that rule in my speech.

Side note: I'm in a group on FB with English speakers from all over the world. In one discussion about different pronunciations, some people (pretty sure not American) were saying that the words "caught" and "court" sound exactly the same when spoken. I can understand different pronunciations from different accents, dialects, etc - but I absolutely don't understand how in any universe those two words sounds exactly the same. If anyone can attempt to explain it I will try to understand.
With a New York accent, both are pronounced "kawt".
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:29 am I'm pretty sure for the most part I follow that in my speech without even thinking about it. "Thee" naturally flows out of the mouth easier when it's followed by a vowel. Am I perfect at it? I'm sure I'm not. But generally speaking, yes I do follow that rule in my speech.

I don't see how they are pronouncing the word court without the 'R' in it. And your post reminds me of when I lived in AZ for 3 years. A new neighbor moved in straight from Mexico and spoke no English. We connected immediately. I taught her English pretty quickly (she was so eager to learn) but I have a heavy NJ accent and it was hilarious to listen to her now speak English with my NJ accent.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:34 am

Saying "kawt" is definitely a Long Island thing! And the "au" in words does have a W sound in there. I am so guilty of that. You are spot on.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:34 am

That just sounds so wrong. There is an "r" in "court" for a reason.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic