another day of not feeling unsafe because

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:13 am I used to live in "coal country" and feel as if the "common man" is offered an equitable alternative, they won't give a darn whether power comes from coal or coils or the sun. In my former county, the fact was that there was no more coal in the ground so the alternative appeared to be mountain top removal. A Christian Coalition (led by Evangelical Churches in the county) were able to make sure that the mountain top removal was a nope so the equitable alternative was training former coal workers for the solar power industry.

In my current county (also in Appalachia) the farming industry was tobacco which is a highly depletive crop. Tobacco farmers were encouraged to switch to cattle and now there is not a single tobacco farm but every farm has herd animals with many incorporating regenerative farming practices because it's better for the environment and better for farmer's pocket books. Another huge source of income for farm owners was/is logging. Currently there is an effective push for sustainable, selective logging which is better for the environment and for farmer's pocket books. These changes are being pushed by the extension office, not environmental groups, so I think that's one of the reasons that they are so accepted. You can't tell farmers they're hurting the environment so stop farming. You have to offer an alternative that is both good for the environment and profitable for the farmer.

Just to add, best selling pick-up truck in the US is the Ford F150. Best selling electric pick-up truck in the US is the Ford F150. Like I wrote, an equitable alternative must be provided. Conservatives by nature don't like change and prefer to keep things the way they are but give anyone a solution that doesn't take away their ability to support themselves, their family, or their community and you can generally sell them on change. Most people don't care what powers their energy as long as the lights turn on and their monthly bill is low but corporations which are driven by profit do so that is where the challenge lies. IMO, just like with individuals, you have to require changes while also allowing them to realize profit - solutions that are WAY above my pay grade!

So, if it works for him, the fact that his culture and his family history and his political party favors coal, Jesus wants him to sleep through it, etc., will mean nothing. I agree. And even those who are the most resistant to change can see by now that the status quo is failing. People want change that works better and will work for it, if they can see how.

That is EXACTLY what I mean when I say, the challenge of our time is building a vision for a better future. Part of that is clean, cheap energy, abundant technology, and shared prosperity, in a green landscape where people go earthing whenever they want. All of that is so possible, but only if we work together. We just need to move the Overton window so that people can see it.

That's not above my pay grade, or any of ours, I suspect. We can figure it out.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:58 pm Maybe from your understanding, but not everyone’s. Many see it as a reunification or recreation of Heaven and Earth…not an ending.
This is how I was raised. It’s more of a new beginning.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:05 am
SlimShady wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:14 pm In a single word… Tesla.
( The actual guy named Nikola Tesla, not the car)

His inventions on energy distribution and how to power homes and cities are more brilliant than any new ideas.

Well, no, but for the sake of argument, let's say maybe. The question is the same. Do you think the common man in Mansfield, Arkansas would accept a switch to Tesla coils, or whatever, if it means abandoning his coal way of life?
Sure…

It’s not that anyone particularly wants to be down a mine…

But it was a way that the town flourished, everyone had jobs and could afford daily life, and they didn’t have to rely on the rest of the country for survival.

They just don’t want to trade in one way of life for a way of life that will be ultimately worse than before.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:06 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:58 pm Maybe from your understanding, but not everyone’s. Many see it as a reunification or recreation of Heaven and Earth…not an ending.
If you’re reading a book, and a new chapter starts, the last chapter ended, right?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:54 am
If you’re reading a book, and a new chapter starts, the last chapter ended, right?
I’m not going down a rabbit hole over semantics. I can not stand that (general, not you).
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:17 am

I’m not going down a rabbit hole over semantics. I can not stand that (general, not you).
Lol that’s how this entire conversation thread has gone for me…I say something and inevitably someone will argue with me just for the sake of disagreeing over semantics…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:28 am

Lol that’s how this entire conversation thread has gone for me…I say something and inevitably someone will argue with me just for the sake of disagreeing over semantics…
So you do it to me because you feel like other people did it to you?
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:36 am

So you do it to me because you feel like other people did it to you?
Lol no…

People keep quoting me and the thread tree trying to argue the point I was making… so when that happens, I continue to explain my point.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You trying to argue semantics with Southern about her own personal faith and how she was taught is not the same thing as you being challenged about the semantics of Christianity in general. Don’t want to argue about the semantics of Christianity? Maybe don’t discuss Christianity. Semantics are important when it comes to discussing Christianity.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:58 am

You trying to argue semantics with Southern about her own personal faith and how she was taught is not the same thing as you being challenged about the semantics of Christianity in general. Don’t want to argue about the semantics of Christianity? Maybe don’t discuss Christianity. Semantics are important when it comes to discussing Christianity.
Kid.

I’m not the one who said I didn’t want to argue semantics.

I’ve quite obviously been arguing them this entire post…
Locked Previous topicNext topic