Would someone not having a credit score be a red flag?

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

So what about hotels, airline tickets, streaming services, car rentals, etc.? Has he never done these things?

I would be suspicious and also concerned about future plans to travel or make purchases if this becomes a long-term relationship.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:38 am I knew someone who had no credit. He was very stubborn and ignorant. He wasn’t stupid just had no education and flat out refused to learn. He was poor but i might see the no credit score as a red flag. Plus where is his cash coming from? Is he a mafia guy or just very wealthy?
He isn't mafia lol. Just a hard working guy who saved up money to pay everything in cash.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:50 am Have you actually seen the two homes and multiple cars or is this just something he claims to have?
Yes I have seen them. I have been to both houses multiple times and have seen the cars. I've also known him for a very long time but we didn't date until more recently.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:33 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:08 am This guy I have been dating told me he doesn't have a credit score. He has never used credit. Part of me thinks it is a massive red flag but on the other hand the fact that he owns two homes, multiple cars, and other fun things all with no debt doesn't actually seem like a bad thing.

Opinions?
What is his age?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:04 pm Nope..not at all. A lot of people have no credit score because they have no debt..they pay everything in cash. It's a Dave Ramsey thing for sure. He hates credit cards and will not have one. He is adamant that you can get by in life without a credit card which means no credit score. If someone follows DR to a T, then I expect no credit score...if you are like us and only follow certain principles of his, then well..you have one. LOL We refuse to give up our credit cards.
I know a lot of people don't like credit cards. I guess I'm more surprised about the houses and cars and other big purchases without using any type of credit or loans than just not using credit cards.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:48 pm So what about hotels, airline tickets, streaming services, car rentals, etc.? Has he never done these things?

I would be suspicious and also concerned about future plans to travel or make purchases if this becomes a long-term relationship.
You don't need a credit card for any of those things. I'm not really concerned because he makes really good money and so do I so IF there was going to be a big purchase we could afford it. Traveling isn't really impacted by not having a credit card.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:58 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:04 pm Nope..not at all. A lot of people have no credit score because they have no debt..they pay everything in cash. It's a Dave Ramsey thing for sure. He hates credit cards and will not have one. He is adamant that you can get by in life without a credit card which means no credit score. If someone follows DR to a T, then I expect no credit score...if you are like us and only follow certain principles of his, then well..you have one. LOL We refuse to give up our credit cards.
I know a lot of people don't like credit cards. I guess I'm more surprised about the houses and cars and other big purchases without using any type of credit or loans than just not using credit cards.
We use cash for vehicles.. we don't take out loans for cars. We did take one for our mortgage, but we only had to finance a small portion of it-$100K as we sold a house and used the proceeds for the "new" house. We pay cash for vacations as we have a vacation fund. We put it on the credit card and then use the vacation fund to pay the credit card immediately. We are taking our girls hiking out west in a few weeks. So far, we've spent about $5K between flights, rental car and hotels for those 12 days ( we did use hotel points for 4 hotels though)..all we have left to pay for is food while out there and gas. We paid for a two week trip to China for 5 people to the tune of $30K with cash back in 2016. We just refuse to use loans so we save. Our dd leaves for college in 2 months. We will be paying $11K per year for her dorm and meal plan.. tuition is covered by scholarships. We don't plan on taking out loans for that either.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:56 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:50 am Have you actually seen the two homes and multiple cars or is this just something he claims to have?
Yes I have seen them. I have been to both houses multiple times and have seen the cars. I've also known him for a very long time but we didn't date until more recently.
He could be paying in cash, checks, etc for his things.

I would think you'd need a good credit score for both the homes he has as well as the cars. Maybe someone else has paid/is currently paying for these things?
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, not a red flag. Bad credit would be a red flag.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:21 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:58 pm
We use cash for vehicles.. we don't take out loans for cars. We did take one for our mortgage, but we only had to finance a small portion of it-$100K as we sold a house and used the proceeds for the "new" house. We pay cash for vacations as we have a vacation fund. We put it on the credit card and then use the vacation fund to pay the credit card immediately. We are taking our girls hiking out west in a few weeks. So far, we've spent about $5K between flights, rental car and hotels for those 12 days ( we did use hotel points for 4 hotels though)..all we have left to pay for is food while out there and gas. We paid for a two week trip to China for 5 people to the tune of $30K with cash back in 2016. We just refuse to use loans so we save. Our dd leaves for college in 2 months. We will be paying $11K per year for her dorm and meal plan.. tuition is covered by scholarships. We don't plan on taking out loans for that either.
I handle finances much the same way. Cash for all car purchases, save up for vacations or big purchases. No loans, all CC bills paid off every month. But I still use a CC to book the car rentals, plane tickets, hotels, etc. I thought they require a CC to make these reservations, but maybe other people show up to the airport with cash?
Locked Previous topicNext topic