Any ideas?

Momdiggity
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

My 14 year old daughter has autism and adhd so she’s a very concrete black and white thinker. Lately she’s been having a hard time because she thinks the world is sexist. Now I’m not saying it’s not, but she takes it a little far. For example, she feels it’s not fair that there was not an equal number of boys and girls in her class. She feels boys don’t take girls seriously, finds fault in boys wanting to hang out with boys, girls with girls.

Now she says I’m sexist because I suggested she shave her legs. I’m also sexist because of the children’s shows I let her watch. I maintain that Blues Clues is not sexist, it’s a female dog making a man do her bidding!

She’s alienated some classmates because she gets very heated about these issues. Any ideas how I can help her see it’s not as bad as she thinks and even though it’s maybe not fair things aren’t always equal?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Momdiggity wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:15 am My 14 year old daughter has autism and adhd so she’s a very concrete black and white thinker. Lately she’s been having a hard time because she thinks the world is sexist. Now I’m not saying it’s not, but she takes it a little far. For example, she feels it’s not fair that there was not an equal number of boys and girls in her class. She feels boys don’t take girls seriously, finds fault in boys wanting to hang out with boys, girls with girls.

Now she says I’m sexist because I suggested she shave her legs. I’m also sexist because of the children’s shows I let her watch. I maintain that Blues Clues is not sexist, it’s a female dog making a man do her bidding!

She’s alienated some classmates because she gets very heated about these issues. Any ideas how I can help her see it’s not as bad as she thinks and even though it’s maybe not fair things aren’t always equal?
Introduce her to the wave categorisation.

Teach her about feminists with different positions on things, and ask her which she identifies with the most.

Get her a couple of books to read on working towards greater equality.

Possibly introduce her to the idea of kyriarchy.
Momdiggity
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:26 am
Momdiggity wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:15 am My 14 year old daughter has autism and adhd so she’s a very concrete black and white thinker. Lately she’s been having a hard time because she thinks the world is sexist. Now I’m not saying it’s not, but she takes it a little far. For example, she feels it’s not fair that there was not an equal number of boys and girls in her class. She feels boys don’t take girls seriously, finds fault in boys wanting to hang out with boys, girls with girls.

Introduce her to the wave categorisation.

Teach her about feminists with different positions on things, and ask her which she identifies with the most.

Get her a couple of books to read on working towards greater equality.

Possibly introduce her to the idea of kyriarchy.
Thanks, I’ll look into those things!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It sounds like this is a pattern of thinking for your daughter where her frustration with existing situation overwhelms her.

Rather than focus on the specifics of this particular issue, you might want to look into the LEAP model of communication. It was developed to help people with loved ones who have social, emotional or mental health challenges to communicate and help them move forward.

It teaches how to Listen, Empathise, Agree, Partner to find a solution.

https://www.easacommunity.org/files/Eng ... 0Model.pdf
Momdiggity
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:30 am It sounds like this is a pattern of thinking for your daughter where her frustration with existing situation overwhelms her.

Rather than focus on the specifics of this particular issue, you might want to look into the LEAP model of communication. It was developed to help people with loved ones who have social, emotional or mental health challenges to communicate and help them move forward.

It teaches how to Listen, Empathise, Agree, Partner to find a solution.

https://www.easacommunity.org/files/Eng ... 0Model.pdf
I really appreciate this, thank you!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic