Have you been in a rush?

mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This post reminded me of this song. That is all.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes I'm sure it is. I have been working on trauma for many years. I am hoping this is "the last thing" to let go of with feeling rushed all the time.
RIZZY wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:54 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:47 pm Thanks for your input! I feel like my life is just one big to do list. It makes me feel organized to write everything down but it also can stress me out to look at everything that needs done. I just always feel like I am in a rush to get things done and it drains me and overwhelms me. I would like to be more chill and just think eh, it will get done when it gets done. Instead I am always thinking, I need to get this done and then this, then this, etc. and I feel rushed.
RIZZY wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:39 pm Just being prepared and organized helps me immensely.

Decluttering helps a lot. Buy and own less stuff.

Wake up earlier than I really need to. I get my coffee and breakfast in before the kids wake up or need anything from me. I also take this time to figure out what is important for that day.

Making my bed. This doesn't give me more time during the day but it helps me feel calmer and think more clearly.

Say no to stuff. We don't do much during the week, there's no time.

Don't let things slide and wait around. My laundry was a big source of stress for me so now when I do my laundry, I wash it and put everything away on the same day. I also got rid of everything in my closet that I don't LOVE, or that I make excuses not to wear. Some things I wanted to keep in case they fit me again some day but I took them out of my closet. Now, when I go to get ready in the morning, I have a closet full of organized clothes and ONLY clothes I will actually wear.

I have started giving different times to people I invite over or to meet somewhere because they are always either late or early. My mom always comes over 20 minutes before the time I give her. She did this on Mother's Day and showed up when I was bringing her gifts in and still getting ready. So, now, I tell her 30 minutes later than I tell everyone else.

We also keep a huge, color-coded family calendar in our kitchen and I have both my work and personal calendars synced on my phone and laptop.

Also, when I am going somewhere like an appointment or to work, I tell myself I need to be there earlier than I really do. If I need to be there by 8, I show up by 7:40. There are some exceptions, like I wouldn't show up to a person's home 20 minutes early. But I like to be a little bit early to work and appointments, things like that.
Could that be a trauma response? I keep seeing therapist influencers saying that if you feel like you always have to be doing something, then it could be because your parents didn't allow you to rest as a kid unless all of your chores were done, etc. I would explore why you feel that way. You deserve to rest and relax. Mowing can wait.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Lol! :lol:
mater-three wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:16 pm This post reminded me of this song. That is all.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thank you! I think that could be beneficial to me. I think sometimes writing them down could help me just to see how much I do even when trying not to do anything. The other day I feel like I just crashed and burned from so many extra things going on in my life right now. I could say I truly didn't do anything, but really, that's not true. I did do some things and I stayed alive and was in survival mode for the day, but I also talked to my kids and DH and I helped my son with his laundry because he had 4 grad parties to go to and he was stressed about getting his laundry into the dryer and out so I did it for him. I did a few other small things as well and I survived the day. I know I don't have to be doing all these big things to have value. I think I am just over tired of life but I will remain on this earth for my kids and DH and sometimes for myself as well and take one moment at a time as that's all I can really do.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 pm If I'm feeling overwhelmed and like life is a big to do list I try to refocus my thinking especially at the end of the day from what has to be done to what have I accomplished today. I also make sure to list the little things (in my head I don't write it down) that I do daily as well as the things that I do for myself because I'm really trying to make myself more of a priority. So today would look like...
Made breakfast sandwiches on homemade bread with eggs fresh from my chickens (the little things remember)
Homeschooled my kids and celebrated with my youngest who has been struggling in math but got a 100 today without any help.
Took care of the chickens
Made sure the kids mowed the lawn
Did dishes
Did laundry
Refilled our berkey and the water in the fridge
Made a nice lunch using leftovers (yay me!)
Got my steps in for the day
Spent time engrossed in a book
Put the warm food away I bought at the grocery store yesterday
Wiped down the kitchen
Finished sewing recital costumes
Cleaned the roller on the roomba and ran it
Started packing food for camping this weekend

See so many little things but when I make a list I can see that I've accomplished a lot! I've really started asking myself Did I do my best today to make sure everyone (including myself) has their needs provided for? Is there anything that absolutely had to be done today that I didn't accomplish?
It really helps me to not be so hard on myself.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I really struggle with that too. I grew up in a house with a workaholic dad who expected everything spotless and perfect. Nothing was left half done or wasn't perfectly maintained. So I know the struggle. This has really helped me as has remembering how as a kid I just wished my mom would make time to do stuff with me but she was so busy trying to meet the demands of my perfectionist dad she didn't have time. I don't want that for my kids or myself I want to live not just clean.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:54 am Thank you! I think that could be beneficial to me. I think sometimes writing them down could help me just to see how much I do even when trying not to do anything. The other day I feel like I just crashed and burned from so many extra things going on in my life right now. I could say I truly didn't do anything, but really, that's not true. I did do some things and I stayed alive and was in survival mode for the day, but I also talked to my kids and DH and I helped my son with his laundry because he had 4 grad parties to go to and he was stressed about getting his laundry into the dryer and out so I did it for him. I did a few other small things as well and I survived the day. I know I don't have to be doing all these big things to have value. I think I am just over tired of life but I will remain on this earth for my kids and DH and sometimes for myself as well and take one moment at a time as that's all I can really do.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:31 pm If I'm feeling overwhelmed and like life is a big to do list I try to refocus my thinking especially at the end of the day from what has to be done to what have I accomplished today. I also make sure to list the little things (in my head I don't write it down) that I do daily as well as the things that I do for myself because I'm really trying to make myself more of a priority. So today would look like...
Made breakfast sandwiches on homemade bread with eggs fresh from my chickens (the little things remember)
Homeschooled my kids and celebrated with my youngest who has been struggling in math but got a 100 today without any help.
Took care of the chickens
Made sure the kids mowed the lawn
Did dishes
Did laundry
Refilled our berkey and the water in the fridge
Made a nice lunch using leftovers (yay me!)
Got my steps in for the day
Spent time engrossed in a book
Put the warm food away I bought at the grocery store yesterday
Wiped down the kitchen
Finished sewing recital costumes
Cleaned the roller on the roomba and ran it
Started packing food for camping this weekend

See so many little things but when I make a list I can see that I've accomplished a lot! I've really started asking myself Did I do my best today to make sure everyone (including myself) has their needs provided for? Is there anything that absolutely had to be done today that I didn't accomplish?
It really helps me to not be so hard on myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic