Nearly 2,000 Illinois Children Sexually Abused By Catholic Clergy Since 1950, Report Finds

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

This is in one State. The damage is so far reaching.

"More than 450 Catholic clergy members across six Illinois-based dioceses sexually abused nearly 2,000 children during a period spanning seven decades, according to a report from Attorney General Kwame Raoul, the latest investigation implicating the Catholic church in sexual abuse."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tylerroush ... ainTwitter
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Humans need judicial oversight, transparency and accountability. Any system with authority concentrated in a small group, or a lack of recourse for members to make their complaints public, is going to be plagued with abuse.

So sorry for all the children involved and their families. I sincerely hope there is good that can come from the exposure of these abuses.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:53 pm Humans need judicial oversight, transparency and accountability. Any system with authority concentrated in a small group, or a lack of recourse for members to make their complaints public, is going to be plagued with abuse.

So sorry for all the children involved and their families. I sincerely hope there is good that can come from the exposure of these abuses.
While exposure of these abuses has the potential for redemption, it also has the potential for dismissal which I imagine would be devastating for survivors.

I think the benefit for most survivors lies in voices heard and collective empathy. Hopefully this prevails. The abuse is not just prevalent among clergy, it's prevalent with sport coaches, community leaders, care-givers, and more. All generations have had their fair share of abuses because as a population, we don't care for our children the way we should, but this generation I believe is the first to understand that those abuses are fucked up. How "we" move forward will be interesting but I'm not sure productive. I guess we can hope?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic