I'm Never Going To Be An Empty-Nester!

RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would like my kids to move out soon after they turn 18 but I just don't see how they will be able to afford it.

My step son has no idea what he wants to do with his life. My daughter is hard working but money just seems to burn a hole in her pocket. My other son wants to go to college and I'm not sure how much we will be able to contribute.

What I expect will happen is that my daughter will move in with some roommates but I think she will be asking to borrow money or might move back in for a while. My boys will just stay with us until they can afford to move out which hopefully won't be too long.

Our plan is to move anyway...
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

As far as how to get alone time, we go to our room and lock the door. Or, get a room for the weekend. ;)
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:25 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:14 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:57 am

If they were "super successful" they wouldn't be living at home 🤷🏼‍♀️.
I guess it's how you base success? Both have wonderful jobs, are active and well respected in our community, supportive of each other and me, manage their finances well, and are functionally independent except for their address so in my opinion, they are "super successful"🤷‍♀️
If they have wonderful jobs why are they not buying their own homes or at least renting something?

My kids do all of those things plus are living on their own and more.
Buying a home in my area for someone just starting out is kind of out of the question. Starter homes are approaching 1 million dollars, with a 10 percent down payment and a bidding war for these homes. Heck my dad just sold his house asking price was $1.5 million and it sold for $1.75 million, reason there is no inventory. Then you factor in rent for a one bedroom at $2,000 per month, it makes very hard for someone just starting out to get the down payment for a house.

I honestly like what my friend did, she made her downstairs a in-law setup for her oldest. He stays there pays a amount of rent, is responsible for his own food, internet, and such. She then is taking the rent and putting it into a savings account to help him save for a down payment of a house. He does not know of this account. When he is ready to move out he gets this toward his down payment.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Our daughter will ALWAYS be welcome in our home! She is educated and successful and while she now has her own apartment and a very good job I would never turn her away or demand rent. We always subscribed to the motto of: Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic