Riley Gaines demands athletes BOYCOTT Adidas for having biological male model pose in new women's swimwear campaign that

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

On the subject of advertising for 'gendered' clothing...

This picture came up on my FB news feed as an ad for tights.
snag tights.jpg
Honestly I like the ad and it kind of makes me want to recreate the look for myself. I'm digging the shorts/tights/combat boots thing.

I've also seen on FB (not an ad) of a guy who likes to go to work dressed in button down shirt and suit coat on top but then pencil skirt and heels on bottom. And honestly he rocks it IMO. And for him it's not about being transgender or a cross dresser or anything - he just likes the look and finds it comfortable, so he wears it.

So is it really so out there to think that some men might want to wear a leotard-style swim suit? And what reason, REALLY, do women have to be upset about it? Are we getting possessive about clothing or what?
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:04 pm On the subject of advertising for 'gendered' clothing...

snag tights.jpg

Honestly I like the ad and it kind of makes me want to recreate the look for myself. I'm digging the shorts/tights/combat boots thing.

I've also seen on FB (not an ad) of a guy who likes to go to work dressed in button down shirt and suit coat on top but then pencil skirt and heels on bottom. And honestly he rocks it IMO. And for him it's not about being transgender or a cross dresser or anything - he just likes the look and finds it comfortable, so he wears it.

So is it really so out there to think that some men might want to wear a leotard-style swim suit? And what reason, REALLY, do women have to be upset about it? Are we getting possessive about clothing or what?
I don't get the outrage over a biological male wearing a women's bathing suit anymore than the outrage over Porter wearing the tuxedo skirt and Harry Stiles' shoot for Vogue. Frankly, have you seen male wrestling unitards?! But I see this as a completely separate issue from transgender women in sports.

I essence, I have no understanding of the former but empathy for the latter and find it a shame to conflate the two.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:24 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:04 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:01 pm

Sorry, I was confused. I can see all-gender inclusive leagues eventually but that would take some time to build not just at the high school level but at the collegiate, olympic, and professional level.

I don't know what a fair compromise would be, honestly. At the same time, I thought this was all worked out with Renee Richards over 50 years ago, lol.
It would be a huge investment but we have to do something because the fighting with no action is getting us no where.
We do have to do something, I agree. If I were in charge, I would allow K-6 students to play on the team of their identifying S*x as there is basically little physical difference between pre-pubescent girls and boys. At the 7-12 level, I would require that transgender students' hormones (rather than chromosomes) be tested to determine eligibility to play on the team that they identify (I find is really disturbing that some states are contemplating a genital test). At the collegiate level, students should have to have legally changed their gender and hormone levels tested. Same for Olympic and professional level.

That's all I've got and I realize that the above is filled with problems, i.e., what about states that don't allow minors to receive gender affirming care?

There are roughly 50 transgender men and women out of 200,000 NCAA athletes so I think we should be able to come up with something but we're never going to please everyone!
This is a complicated situation so any suggestion we make is gonna have problems but at least it encourages productive/respectful conversations about it. I think once we get to a better place scientifically, that isn’t a bad suggestion at all. I agree with you on the age groups. I’m not worried about small kids either but 7th and up is when it gets complicated.

As far as gender affirming care, I personally think it’s a parental decision between the family and their medical provider but in Bible Belt areas like the south, people are a lot across both political parties disagree with it.

We aren’t going to please everybody and that’s why compromise is important but we are too divided to even know where to start.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:16 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:04 pm On the subject of advertising for 'gendered' clothing...

snag tights.jpg

I don't get the outrage over a biological male wearing a women's bathing suit anymore than the outrage over Porter wearing the tuxedo skirt and Harry Stiles' shoot for Vogue. Frankly, have you seen male wrestling unitards?! But I see this as a completely separate issue from transgender women in sports.

I essence, I have no understanding of the former but empathy for the latter and find it a shame to conflate the two.
This is kind of the point I was making earlier - I think there are serious discussions that can and should be had, with consideration and compassion for all involved, about trans athletes and sports. I haven’t seen much of Riley Gaines discussing the issue, but I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt that she’s someone who generally engages respectfully and in good faith on it. Her getting upset about a male model in a one piece just makes it look like her gripe is with trans people being represented in general, and if that’s not the case, it makes her appear like someone those with the opposite views on trans athletes won’t feel like there’s a respectful common ground to engage on with in the future.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:04 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:01 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:55 pm

It wouldn’t be for just transgenders. It would be for any athlete who wants to compete regardless of biological gender. For example, I do know a few straight women who wanted to play football with men but weren’t allowed too.

Also, if the notion that kids under 30 don’t care is correct, there will be a good number of student participating.

What would you consider a fair compromise? That’s all I have been able to think of.
Sorry, I was confused. I can see all-gender inclusive leagues eventually but that would take some time to build not just at the high school level but at the collegiate, olympic, and professional level.

I don't know what a fair compromise would be, honestly. At the same time, I thought this was all worked out with Renee Richards over 50 years ago, lol.
It would be a huge investment but we have to do something because the fighting with no action is getting us no where.
So I've been thinking about this and the more I think about it, the more that mixed gender sports makes sense. Biological men have the advantage in a lot of sports but biological women have the advantage in others (long distance swimming, extreme long distance running, equestrian sports, gymnastics etc. and equal to men in some sports such as diving). Perhaps it's getting close to time to completely disregard S*x when it comes to sports or at the very least, take it on a sport-by-sport basis?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:16 pm

snag tights.jpg

Honestly I try to stay away from the 'transgender women in sports' debate because to be perfectly frank, I don't care. I have no vested interest and therefore have no desire to dive into that topic.

But this thread started about biological males modeling "female" swimsuits for advertising. That and how a bio-female athlete is not only boycotting the company herself but calling for all other athletes to boycott as well. I don't see the advertising piece as that big of a deal. If Ms. Gaines does, so be it, but it seems awfully arrogant of her to attempt to rally all those like her thinking they will believe just like she does. I think she needs to worry about her own spending and let others worry about their own.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

snag tights.jpg

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... s-29420863

I'm with is wife. I wish I had his legs.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:36 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:27 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:02 pm

You have a bad habit of doing that to members in this group and it overshadows valid points you have to contribute to the conversation.

You are free to discuss what you please but in order to make a difference you have to be heard and the name calling won’t get you there.
I have said absolutely nothing to shame a member in this thread or can anyone a name, all of my remarks were toward the subject of this article. I could say you have a bad habit of being a hypocrite considering how many names you’ve name called me and how many times you’ve attempted to shame me. I gave zero interest in continuing this conversation with you, it never goes anywhere.
I’m not the only one who has pointed this out to you. It is on you to continue to behave that way and people will continue to point it out to you whether you are interested in a conversation or not.

What you are interested in doesn’t matter and I meant every word I have ever said to you. We wouldn’t be having this conversation had you not called me a slut shamer.

So learn how to take the bullshit you dish out.
“ We wouldn’t be having this conversation had you not called me a slut shamer”, we’ll maybe you shouldn’t slut shame if you don’t want to be called a slut shame. so you admit that your issue is something I said to you in a different post that you need to drag over here. In your own advice, learn how to take the bullshit you dish out.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:32 pm
Pjmm wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:59 pm
Bobcobbagob wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:03 pm Does anyone remember when we used to just watch commercials on TV, not like them and then move on with our lives without a second thought about the stupid commercial we didn’t like…

Those were the days.
That’s how I feel. If you don’t like the Adidas commercial don’t buy their shoes. Don’t go destroying Bud Light bottles just switch to to fosters or whiskey. It’s really nbd.
Isn’t that Bud Light drama over an IG post?
I thought Bud light used a trans model in a commercial. Perhaps I’m wrong.
I looked and I am. They sponsored an IG post.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:09 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:36 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:27 pm

I have said absolutely nothing to shame a member in this thread or can anyone a name, all of my remarks were toward the subject of this article. I could say you have a bad habit of being a hypocrite considering how many names you’ve name called me and how many times you’ve attempted to shame me. I gave zero interest in continuing this conversation with you, it never goes anywhere.
I’m not the only one who has pointed this out to you. It is on you to continue to behave that way and people will continue to point it out to you whether you are interested in a conversation or not.

What you are interested in doesn’t matter and I meant every word I have ever said to you. We wouldn’t be having this conversation had you not called me a slut shamer.

So learn how to take the bullshit you dish out.
“ We wouldn’t be having this conversation had you not called me a slut shamer”, we’ll maybe you shouldn’t slut shame if you don’t want to be called a slut shame. so you admit that your issue is something I said to you in a different post that you need to drag over here. In your own advice, learn how to take the bullshit you dish out.
Moved the conversation to a more appropriate location.
Locked Previous topicNext topic