Why are people still stupid enough to wash chicken?

Anonymous 3

Unread post

I wash it. Don't care. Not dead yet.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:43 pm
newyearnewring wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:56 pm Yeah, I go back and forth, too. Depending on the recipe, I do feel like washed chicken, or chicken bathed in a salt bath, has a better texture. For sure, when I cook pork, it always turns out too dry unless I do a quick brine.

But it does seem like people are washing their chicken because they think it is somehow more sanitary which is just not true. And have you seen the people who use actual soap?

Now, unless you are making sticky rice...wash your rice! I never really liked rice until I started washing it.
I wonder if it's the type of rice you're buying. I don't wash my rice and don't have any issues but I never buy enriched rice either. I've seen videos where people wash rice to show how gross it is but when I try it the water is completely clear.
There's definitely a difference in types of rice. I bought some uncle Ben's brown rice the other day because I couldn't find the organic rice I usually buy and not only did it look like plastic it completely jammed my grain mill that I've put so much through. We had to completely disassemble the thing to get it working again.
Plastic rice is a thing. Look it up.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:39 pm
newyearnewring wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:56 pm Yeah, I go back and forth, too. Depending on the recipe, I do feel like washed chicken, or chicken bathed in a salt bath, has a better texture. For sure, when I cook pork, it always turns out too dry unless I do a quick brine.

But it does seem like people are washing their chicken because they think it is somehow more sanitary which is just not true. And have you seen the people who use actual soap?

Now, unless you are making sticky rice...wash your rice! I never really liked rice until I started washing it.
I wonder if it's the type of rice you're buying. I don't wash my rice and don't have any issues but I never buy enriched rice either. I've seen videos where people wash rice to show how gross it is but when I try it the water is completely clear.
There's definitely a difference in types of rice. I bought some uncle Ben's brown rice the other day because I couldn't find the organic rice I usually buy and not only did it look like plastic it completely jammed my grain mill that I've put so much through. We had to completely disassemble the thing to get it working again.
Plastic rice is a thing. Look it up.
I totally believe it look at the difference. I ended up throwing it away.
20230314_145047.jpg
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Hmm, maybe. I remember never really liking rice even as a kid. I figured it's because I'm Scottish and we don't really eat a lot of rice. I didn't eat plain white rice until I married my Venezuelan husband. I used to joke that he was my rice cooker because even though the concept of cooking rice is simple, I always f**k it up. And I'm a good cook, I just never could make it right. Then, I got a rice cooker and the instructions say to wash the rice so I started doing that and wow, it makes a huge difference. We buy the kind in a plastic bag but we've been using Basmati for almost a year since I accidentally bought 5 pounds of it through grocery delivery, lol.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

newyearnewring wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:43 am

Hmm, maybe. I remember never really liking rice even as a kid. I figured it's because I'm Scottish and we don't really eat a lot of rice. I didn't eat plain white rice until I married my Venezuelan husband. I used to joke that he was my rice cooker because even though the concept of cooking rice is simple, I always f**k it up. And I'm a good cook, I just never could make it right. Then, I got a rice cooker and the instructions say to wash the rice so I started doing that and wow, it makes a huge difference. We buy the kind in a plastic bag but we've been using Basmati for almost a year since I accidentally bought 5 pounds of it through grocery delivery, lol.
My family goes through so much rice. A 25 lb bag of brown rice lasts us maybe 4 months? And then we go through white rice too. There's definitely a difference in rice and most of it comes in a bag. On the bottom us the lumburg brown rice I usually buy and on top is the uncle Ben's brown rice I ended up throwing away.
20230314_145047.jpg
I'm not sure if it's because of the type of rice we buy or what but it has just never been an issue for me.
Actually I take that back. Cooking rice used to be an issue. It frustrated us and we could never get it right. But that was before we started eating a lot of organic stuff. I haven't has issues since then. I never thought about that connection until now I just thought we figured it out.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:02 am

My family goes through so much rice. A 25 lb bag of brown rice lasts us maybe 4 months? And then we go through white rice too. There's definitely a difference in rice and most of it comes in a bag. On the bottom us the lumburg brown rice I usually buy and on top is the uncle Ben's brown rice I ended up throwing away.
20230314_145047.jpg
I'm not sure if it's because of the type of rice we buy or what but it has just never been an issue for me.
Actually I take that back. Cooking rice used to be an issue. It frustrated us and we could never get it right. But that was before we started eating a lot of organic stuff. I haven't has issues since then. I never thought about that connection until now I just thought we figured it out.
I looked it up because I was so curious! Apparently, you don't ever need to wash brown rice or Uncle Ben's rice. Uncle Ben's has already been washed and enriched (if it's white rice). And brown rice never needs to be washed because the "shell" keeps the kernels separate inherently. You learn something new every day!
Anonymous 4

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:20 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:05 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:59 pm Because it used to be taught…

Younger people don’t because it’s not taught anymore…
It used to be taught that blood is blue in the body and that babies can't feel pain, that doesn't mean we should still believe just because it was taught 🙄
It’s like a quarter of adults over 45 that still think some blood is blue and that sugar makes it so infants can’t feel pain anymore…

It’s hard for people to realize some things they were taught as kids isn’t true… and other people just didn’t learn the new information.
There are people like professional doctors coming out of school now that think black people don't feel the same amount of pain as white people!!! the stupidity in this world is unbelievable.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

newyearnewring wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:37 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:02 am

20230314_145047.jpg
I looked it up because I was so curious! Apparently, you don't ever need to wash brown rice or Uncle Ben's rice. Uncle Ben's has already been washed and enriched (if it's white rice). And brown rice never needs to be washed because the "shell" keeps the kernels separate inherently. You learn something new every day!
That is very interesting!
Anonymous 5

Unread post

The instructions said to wash (or soak and rinse) the rice because it gets rid of any starch clinging to it so that the resulting rice isn't a soggy, sticky mass :)

I'm Scottish too and we ate quite a lot of rice growing up rice and chicken broth, rice pudding, etc. Maybe it's regional? I'm from the North East.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:49 am

The instructions said to wash (or soak and rinse) the rice because it gets rid of any starch clinging to it so that the resulting rice isn't a soggy, sticky mass :)

I'm Scottish too and we ate quite a lot of rice growing up rice and chicken broth, rice pudding, etc. Maybe it's regional? I'm from the North East.
Maybe! The only rice I was ever served was rice pudding. My family was from the highlands.
Locked Previous topicNext topic