Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That's the way DeSantis likes it-keeping people dumb so he can better manipulate them.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This makes me giggle..in not a good way.
One person that is NOT black is trying to educate some black women on segregation, desegregation, and the civil rights movement when they did not live it, but yet these women have first hand accounts from their own family. This is just as asinine as a non adoptive person trying to tell an adoptive person all about adoption. No.. just no. Shut your darn mouth and listen. Stop being so darn antagonizing about the south and everything else to do with it. This is a common theme in here..one poster that thinks the south is just a walking talking poster for racism because *some* white folks were and still are a-holes. Well, as a white woman in the south I can tell you that there are NOT confederate flags all over as the majority of us do find them offensive, and there are not people all over the place handing out KKK pamphlets. When you have people that are black, have experienced racism in their lifetime, have seen what it did to their family members that lived in the civil rights era..shut up. Listen..you might bloody well learn something. I would never presume to tell my daughter that what she has experienced as a Chinese woman living in a white family across the world from her birth country what to feel about HER life experiences. I would never presume to think I know more than she does about being Chinese. I'm white and have not had the same experiences as she has and will have in her life regarding racism/ bigotry. It would behoove you to shut your mouth for once and stop saying stupid, idiotic things about the south and being black because well, you are neither from the south, nor are you black. Holy balls..the gumption some folks have is bewildering.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:16 am This makes me giggle..in not a good way.
One person that is NOT black is trying to educate some black women on segregation, desegregation, and the civil rights movement when they did not live it, but yet these women have first hand accounts from their own family. This is just as asinine as a non adoptive person trying to tell an adoptive person all about adoption. No.. just no. Shut your darn mouth and listen. Stop being so darn antagonizing about the south and everything else to do with it. This is a common theme in here..one poster that thinks the south is just a walking talking poster for racism because *some* white folks were and still are a-holes. Well, as a white woman in the south I can tell you that there are NOT confederate flags all over as the majority of us do find them offensive, and there are not people all over the place handing out KKK pamphlets. When you have people that are black, have experienced racism in their lifetime, have seen what it did to their family members that lived in the civil rights era..shut up. Listen..you might bloody well learn something. I would never presume to tell my daughter that what she has experienced as a Chinese woman living in a white family across the world from her birth country what to feel about HER life experiences. I would never presume to think I know more than she does about being Chinese. I'm white and have not had the same experiences as she has and will have in her life regarding racism/ bigotry. It would behoove you to shut your mouth for once and stop saying stupid, idiotic things about the south and being black because well, you are neither from the south, nor are you black. Holy balls..the gumption some folks have is bewildering.
Why don’t you just write my name and read more carefully. I was speaking of the 1950’s and 1960’s not current day. Someone twisted it into current day.

Do we want the schools to honestly teach the civil rights movement or would you prefer it whitewashed and pretend it the South. And I’m talking about the White Southerners 70 years ago were violent and fought change. Northern Whites were not as violent that’s a fact. When did I talk about the Black experience? Please quote it.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:32 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:16 am This makes me giggle..in not a good way.
Why don’t you just write my name and read more carefully. I was speaking of the 1950’s and 1960’s not current day. Someone twisted it into current day.

Do we want the schools to honestly teach the civil rights movement or would you prefer it whitewashed and pretend it the South. And I’m talking about the White Southerners 70 years ago were violent and fought change. Northern Whites were not as violent that’s a fact. When did I talk about the Black experience? Please quote it.
No one twisted it Lemons and this is a long term habit of yours. Even if I did twist what you said, it does not excuse you over talking, disregarding and minimizing our experience as Black women and Jim Crow/Slave descendants.

I really think you need to humble yourself enough to take in the feedback because you let your bias throw all your intelligence down the toilet for ignorance that no one benefits from it, when you have so much more to offer.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

I've stayed out of this thread and I knew it would escalate and get ugly very quickly vs actual conversation occurring.

My prediction wasn't off.

It's like the game of telephone in this thread. 😑😶
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:53 pm I've stayed out of this thread and I knew it would escalate and get ugly very quickly vs actual conversation occurring.

I dread these threads about Black social issues because somebody is gonna try and take over the conversation with political bias and ignorance.

Heaven forbid anybody actually listens to learn.

Maybe I shouldn’t engage but not saying anything is almost condoning it and it’s hard not too when it affected your family.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:53 pm I've stayed out of this thread and I knew it would escalate and get ugly very quickly vs actual conversation occurring.

I had stayed out of it because I thought this was going to escalate into another CRT debate. At this point, I think we just all need to agree to disagree on the topic. Idk if it did, not reading through all the replies, lol.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:18 pm

I had stayed out of it because I thought this was going to escalate into another CRT debate. At this point, I think we just all need to agree to disagree on the topic. Idk if it did, not reading through all the replies, lol.
This isn’t a topic to agree to disagree on and I think that’s why this country can’t get anywhere.

CRT is a hot mess because everyone wants things their way based on political leaning instead of letting the particular minority group take the lead on how their history is represented instead of having to argue with people.

I think people who want to argue and dictate should just stay out of it because it is making it impossible for us to focus on teaching our history accurately.

Unless people want Black families to teach their children at home until the end of time, the tone and level of respect has to change and it won’t change if we (Black people) don’t speak up about it because it’s our community and children that ultimately suffers.

Not arguing with you or trying to drag you in it because I know you don’t fit in that category. I’m just explaining why I feel extremely strongly about this.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 pm

No one twisted it Lemons and this is a long term habit of yours. Even if I did twist what you said, it does not excuse you over talking, disregarding and minimizing our experience as Black women and Jim Crow/Slave descendants.

I really think you need to humble yourself enough to take in the feedback because you let your bias throw all your intelligence down the toilet for ignorance that no one benefits from it, when you have so much more to offer.
Don’t just say that’s racist, that bigot, state what exactly you’re talking about and I’ll understand not to use it. But no one ever does.

1. This is my version and you can tell me exactly what I said wrong. I made a comment on this thread regarding DeSantis trying to ban Rosa Park’s color from the teachings. I said that they have to teach the civil rights era honestly. You came in and said every state has to teach civil rights. I thought that was common knowledge that every state teaches it and I didn’t have write it.

Explain your issue with this please.

2. I said the South was the hot spot for the Civil Rights movement, not the North. The South had laws on the book regarding segregation that the North didn’t. The violence, murders, lynchings were Southern happenings.

How is that racist? We are talking about White Southerners.

3. Reconstruction - policies were made to integrate the confederate states back into the United States and plan for the integration of Black people. . But because of terrorist groups like the KKK and Southerners who wanted nothing to do with it, it failed. Also a weak president left too much to states rights and Southern states passed so many Jim. Row laws that it wasn’t all that different for Blacks in the South. Until the Civil Rights movement forced changes in the South.

please tell me what is racist about this

Please quote where I minimized Black women’s suffering under slavery.

And let me know how you think putting the blame on the South is racist. We’re talking about White Southerners trying to keep Black people under them. We’re talking about history not current day.

I’m serious. I believe you but I need specifics.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:09 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 pm

Don’t just say that’s racist, that bigot, state what exactly you’re talking about and I’ll understand not to use it. But no one ever does.

1. This is my version and you can tell me exactly what I said wrong. I made a comment on this thread regarding DeSantis trying to ban Rosa Park’s color from the teachings. I said that they have to teach the civil rights era honestly. You came in and said every state has to teach civil rights. I thought that was common knowledge that every state teaches it and I didn’t have write it.

Explain your issue with this please.

2. I said the South was the hot spot for the Civil Rights movement, not the North. The South had laws on the book regarding segregation that the North didn’t. The violence, murders, lynchings were Southern happenings.

How is that racist? We are talking about White Southerners.

3. Reconstruction - policies were made to integrate the confederate states back into the United States and plan for the integration of Black people. . But because of terrorist groups like the KKK and Southerners who wanted nothing to do with it, it failed. Also a weak president left too much to states rights and Southern states passed so many Jim. Row laws that it wasn’t all that different for Blacks in the South. Until the Civil Rights movement forced changes in the South.

please tell me what is racist about this

Please quote where I minimized Black women’s suffering under slavery.

And let me know how you think putting the blame on the South is racist. We’re talking about White Southerners trying to keep Black people under them. We’re talking about history not current day.

I’m serious. I believe you but I need specifics.
Its fine if you have been taught that racism down south was way worse than up north. It is a common misconception. My issue with you and extremists in general, is arguing with minorities about our history, culture and experience. Thats like when I comment on Jewish threads. You'll never catch me arguing with a Jew about how antisemitism affects their community because its not about me and my interpretation of what they have been through. Its my place to listen and learn so I don't say something ignorant, out of place or counterproductive.

With that said, this topic is not about you and the white liberal interpretation of what our families went through in the 50s and 60s. When multiple Black members explained to you that is a misconception, you should have respected that instead of doubling down as if we don't know what we're talking about. It's incredibly insulting and that know-it-all attitude does nothing but promote subconscious racism and white supremacy.

Our families have dealt with this since our ancestors got off the slave boat and the fall out has been a massive bitch to deal with. We are in this position now because our history was not accurately documented, so no matter what you have read, you'll never know more than someone in our shoes, so it is best to "shut up and listen". It's not that hard to do and I've learned a lot by doing that myself.

I hope that makes better sense.
Locked Previous topicNext topic