NEWSStudy: Half Of Americans Believe Media “Intend To Mislead, Misinform”

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

This study suggests that many Americans… feel distrust on an emotional level, believing news organizations intend to mislead them”

https://summit.news/2023/03/17/study-ha ... misinform/
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, it is a fact that most news outlets have an inclination, if not a downright bias for certain positions and do present and phrase the news to promote that position. Honestly, if you want reality, read both extremes, like let’s say Fox News and CNN and the truth is somewhere in the middle and on the facts they actually both report. Their interpretations of those facts and how they’re presented are BS.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Gee I can’t imagine why. can’t possibly have anything to do with Fox News’s being sued over the 2020 election. (Sarcasm) Michael Crichton had discussed the news manipulating a story in his book Airframe. It was written in 1996. He was indirectly implicating shows like Sixty Minutes and 20/20. Don Henley wrote Dirty Laundry which was about his own problems with the media. And how they reported the death of Natalie Wood and John Belushi. Then there’s people like Geraldo and Rush Limbaugh. I think this was a long time coming.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:23 am Well, it is a fact that most news outlets have an inclination, if not a downright bias for certain positions and do present and phrase the news to promote that position. Honestly, if you want reality, read both extremes, like let’s say Fox News and CNN and the truth is somewhere in the middle and on the facts they actually both report. Their interpretations of those facts and how they’re presented are BS.
I thought NPR at least attempted to be neutral. Sometimes I read BBC or other foreign news thinking at least they have no vested interest in what goes on over here.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah, NPR can lean towards the left for the most part, but very lightly. They are more centered.
The BBC, though has several accusations of bias. Most notably, the Balen report to investigate its bias in the Middle Eastern conflict, which when it was completed, the BBC refused to make it public and even spent hundreds of thousands of pounds when the case went to the court. They won and so they never released it. I wonder what they were trying to hide so badly…?
Pjmm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:02 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:23 am Well, it is a fact that most news outlets have an inclination, if not a downright bias for certain positions and do present and phrase the news to promote that position. Honestly, if you want reality, read both extremes, like let’s say Fox News and CNN and the truth is somewhere in the middle and on the facts they actually both report. Their interpretations of those facts and how they’re presented are BS.
I thought NPR at least attempted to be neutral. Sometimes I read BBC or other foreign news thinking at least they have no vested interest in what goes on over here.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

NPR is neutral. And with the exception of FOX "News" and Newsmax, most news networks are reasonably unbiased.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CNN is seriously biased. MSNBC and CBS are often accused of being left biased. Same with the Washington Post. And the New York Times may be even worst.
U.s News and World Report is probably the most center leaning. I don’t think there’s any source that can be considered fully centered, though. But there are degrees of inclination.
EarlGrayHot wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:43 pm NPR is neutral. And with the exception of FOX "News" and Newsmax, most news networks are reasonably unbiased.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://knightfoundation.org/reports/ne ... nterprise/

https://knightfoundation.org/reports/am ... 23-part-2/
To be sure, distrust of information or institutions is not necessarily bad. Some skepticism may be beneficial in today’s media environment, where the number of information sources available feels infinite, advanced technology often makes it difficult to identify reliable information and journalists inevitably make mistakes in their reporting. But this study suggests that many Americans are not solely skeptical of news today — they feel distrust on an emotional level, believing news organizations intend to mislead them and are indifferent to the social and political impact of their reporting. Our analysis demonstrates that these indicators of emotional trust in news are, in fact, distinct from the opinion that news organizations are capable of delivering accurate and fair reporting.

Emotional trust is more deeply rooted and is especially important to understand in the context of the news media. This study shows that emotional trust has a strong relationship to perceptions and behaviors that could harm the critical, mutually beneficial relationship between the health of the press and the health of U.S. democracy. The more emotional trust Americans have in news, the more likely they are to say news organizations balance staying in business and serving the public well. The more emotional trust in news, the more empowered Americans feel to navigate a complex information environment. The more emotional trust in news, the more willing Americans are to pay for it. And, emotional trust in news is linked to Americans’ overall assessment of U.S. democracy.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

For myself, there are very few news sites and telecasts I trust to be honest and stay bipartisan....just reporting the news and remaining neutral; not editorializing. This includes local news stations here in AZ.

I think that too many people out there rely a little too much on social media sites for their news, too, not realizing that they're often getting opinions only vs fact-based stories.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:26 pm Yeah, NPR can lean towards the left for the most part, but very lightly. They are more centered.
The BBC, though has several accusations of bias. Most notably, the Balen report to investigate its bias in the Middle Eastern conflict, which when it was completed, the BBC refused to make it public and even spent hundreds of thousands of pounds when the case went to the court. They won and so they never released it. I wonder what they were trying to hide so badly…?
Pjmm wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:02 pm
I haven’t heard that. I was thinking watch foreign news because they might not show bias towards America. They’d have no reason to. Idk
Locked Previous topicNext topic