Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:01 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:09 pm

I did not disagree so I’m not sure why that’s necessary.

I remember being taught about sundown towns and laws against interracial marriages in the North. Sundown towns were in every state in the country.

The whole country was racist but let’s not try and change history like Florida is doing. It was worse in the South. Northern states created laws outlawing segregation in schools starting in the 1850’s. Over a hundred years later Southern states were forced to desegregate.
Virtually all lynching of Black people were done in Southern states.

Laws were created much quicker in the North to stop discrimination. Not everyone was compliant and there continued to be discrimination.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964, a major piece of legislator intended to end discrimination based on race, color, religion in the United States. 92% Southern legislators voted against it. 90% of Northern lawmakers voted for it. A divided country.

There is racism in the North, most aren’t. . Most people in the South are not racist, but the racists still have a lot of power. But teaching the history of segregation, voting rights, KKK, violence, lynching, this is a Southern history.
It's not a point system based contest, Lemons.
I don’t know what that means. Regarding North and Southern states? Where you just found out about sundown towns or where I don’t agree that the North was just as bad?
It means that this is not a pissing match between the north and south.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:05 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:09 pm

I did not disagree so I’m not sure why that’s necessary.

I remember being taught about sundown towns and laws against interracial marriages in the North. Sundown towns were in every state in the country.

The whole country was racist but let’s not try and change history like Florida is doing. It was worse in the South. Northern states created laws outlawing segregation in schools starting in the 1850’s. Over a hundred years later Southern states were forced to desegregate.
Virtually all lynching of Black people were done in Southern states.

Laws were created much quicker in the North to stop discrimination. Not everyone was compliant and there continued to be discrimination.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964, a major piece of legislator intended to end discrimination based on race, color, religion in the United States. 92% Southern legislators voted against it. 90% of Northern lawmakers voted for it. A divided country.

There is racism in the North, most aren’t. . Most people in the South are not racist, but the racists still have a lot of power. But teaching the history of segregation, voting rights, KKK, violence, lynching, this is a Southern history.
I guess Malcolm X, Black Panthers and other leaders outside of the south were just full of shit and complaining for nothing.

There is just as many racist people up north as down town. To minimize the racism that people go through in your area..is racist in itself.
Stop taking my words and twisting them to suit your agenda. When did I say people in the North did not suffer? When did I say there was no racism in the North?
I’m not twisting shit because this crap is a well established pattern for you.

I know what you said. I am calling you out on your perception that Black people down south has it so much worse and the north is somehow better.

That simply not true. The north is just as bad as the south when it comes to racism and racial ignorance.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:06 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 pm

It's not a point system based contest, Lemons.
I don’t know what that means. Regarding North and Southern states? Where you just found out about sundown towns or where I don’t agree that the North was just as bad?
No. It’s also not a time to change facts. There’s enough of that going around with Florida trying wipe out Black accomplishments by removing children’s books about them or refusing to name their race.
The South was a worse time for Black people down South than the North in the 50’s and 60’s. That is just a fact and you shouldn’t try to minimize what was happening in the Confederate states. The North aggressions should be another topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:16 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:05 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 pm

I guess Malcolm X, Black Panthers and other leaders outside of the south were just full of shit and complaining for nothing.

There is just as many racist people up north as down town. To minimize the racism that people go through in your area..is racist in itself.
Stop taking my words and twisting them to suit your agenda. When did I say people in the North did not suffer? When did I say there was no racism in the North?
I’m not twisting shit because this crap is a well established pattern for you.

I know what you said. I am calling you out on your perception that Black people down south has it so much worse and the north is somehow better.

That simply not true. The north is just as bad as the south when it comes to racism and racial ignorance.
I’m talking about the past right now. Why are you using present tense.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:24 pm

No. It’s also not a time to change facts. There’s enough of that going around with Florida trying wipe out Black accomplishments by removing children’s books about them or refusing to name their race.
The South was a worse time for Black people down South than the North in the 50’s and 60’s. That is just a fact and you shouldn’t try to minimize what was happening in the Confederate states. The North aggressions should be another topic.
No, it’s not another topic because racism is everywhere and you only comment on racism when it comes to the south.

You are not Black nor are you from the south. You are in no position to school me about what happened to Black people in the 50s and 60s.

Again, I guess Malcolm X, Panthers and other Black leaders outside of the south were just full of shit.

If we are gonna talk about racism, we talk about ALL of it..not just the parts that benefits your agenda.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You, my Yankee dear, are a bigot, lol. Yes, you may "hear" that in a southern female voice.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Dude… I think everyone needs some perspective here.

Lemons is saying that being beaten, raped, killed, tortured and held in slavery was worse than societal racism.

Let’s not act like it’s wrong to think that…

The consequences of racism for people of color in the north was horrible and should be taught… but one statement doesn’t cancel out another.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:35 pm

You, my Yankee dear, are a bigot, lol. Yes, you may "hear" that in a southern female voice.
When you disagree or don’t even understand an ignorant person starts name calling.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:48 pm

No, it’s not another topic because racism is everywhere and you only comment on racism when it comes to the south.

You are not Black nor are you from the south. You are in no position to school me about what happened to Black people in the 50s and 60s.

Again, I guess Malcolm X, Panthers and other Black leaders outside of the south were just full of shit.

If we are gonna talk about racism, we talk about ALL of it..not just the parts that benefits your agenda.
You are all over the place throwing in current history when the topic was Florida teaching civil rights movement. The Southern states were the problem in the 1950’s and 1960’s . Are you seriously trying to claim otherwise? Just because racism was everywhere doesn’t change that. No one is that F***ing stupid.

You are not White and did not live in the North. Where do you get your information that the civil rights movement was equally because of racism in the North?
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

There is so much literature on the racism in the North and it’s role in the Civil Rights Movement plus the impact societal racism had on black communities in the north. As well as how that is still impacting communities today.

But maybe that’s a little too “critical race theory” for people 🙄
Locked Previous topicNext topic