I just don't feel right putting him in that

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have a high functioning autistic 16 year old son. Someone I know who also says an autistic son was trying to get us to do special Olympics with then the other day and I found myself desperately trying to come up with an excuse. Special Olympics is an amazing program but I just don't find it fair to those who truly need the program for my ds to be there.
My ds has done crossfit 4 times a week for the past 4 years and is also on a mountain biking team. Not that he's the greatest at those but he's strong and capable of doing it and I just don't think special Olympics is for him. I'd much rather save it for people like her ds who cannot participate in those things for whatever reason.
Am I wrong? I don't know a ton about the program I'll admit that but it just seems wrong to put him in it.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think you have to do what is best for your son. The activities he currently does are great. Special Olympics is a competition event and some activities with support or adaptive.
Does he get to compete or is he interested in competing? Do the activities he currently is involved in offer a competitive event if he were to be interested in competitions?
Also, I don’t think your son would be displacing another teen or child if he joined Special Olympics. The program welcomes all levels of need and support. If anything, your son would be a great role model for the kids who have more adaptive needs.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

He does compete. He does the crossfit open every year and has the opportunity for more competitions but chooses not to do them. He also has 5 bike races a year he does but honestly he's not a competitive person and does it more because he loves it than to race.
I didn't think of the role model thing. He greatly struggles around other special needs people mostly because they don't do things exactly the way he thinks they should be done. Part of me says it would be good for him to be around that more and part of me isn't up for that frustration and challenge.
cgd5112 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:55 am I think you have to do what is best for your son. The activities he currently does are great. Special Olympics is a competition event and some activities with support or adaptive.
Does he get to compete or is he interested in competing? Do the activities he currently is involved in offer a competitive event if he were to be interested in competitions?
Also, I don’t think your son would be displacing another teen or child if he joined Special Olympics. The program welcomes all levels of need and support. If anything, your son would be a great role model for the kids who have more adaptive needs.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There are many very strong and skilled athletes who compete in the special Olympics. I get where you are coming from, but your sons athletic ability would be a problem and would not put other athletes at a disadvantage. Special Olympics is for athletes who are very skilled in their sport, but because of their differing abilities they are not able to compete in mainstream competitions. The 200m record for track and field in the Special Olympics is 23 seconds. That’s only four seconds behind Usain Bolt, who holds the world record. The average time for a neurotypical athlete is 27 seconds. So I think it’s more of, do you think he would benefit from this program at his level of ability. If his differing needs would make it hard for him to compete in mainstream competitions, Special Olympics would be a great program for him. If his needs do not inhibit him from competing in mainstream competition, there isn’t really a need for him to participate in the program.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There are many very strong and skilled athletes who compete in the special Olympics. I get where you are coming from, but your sons athletic ability would be a problem and would not put other athletes at a disadvantage. Special Olympics is for athletes who are very skilled in their sport, but because of their differing abilities they are not able to compete in mainstream competitions. The 200m record for track and field in the Special Olympics is 23 seconds. That’s only four seconds behind Usain Bolt, who holds the world record. The average time for a neurotypical athlete is 27 seconds. So I think it’s more of, do you think he would benefit from this program at his level of ability. If his differing needs would make it hard for him to compete in mainstream competitions, Special Olympics would be a great program for him. If his needs do not inhibit him from competing in mainstream competition, there isn’t really a need for him to participate in the program.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:14 am There are many very strong and skilled athletes who compete in the special Olympics. I get where you are coming from, but your sons athletic ability would be a problem and would not put other athletes at a disadvantage. Special Olympics is for athletes who are very skilled in their sport, but because of their differing abilities they are not able to compete in mainstream competitions. The 200m record for track and field in the Special Olympics is 23 seconds. That’s only four seconds behind Usain Bolt, who holds the world record. The average time for a neurotypical athlete is 27 seconds. So I think it’s more of, do you think he would benefit from this program at his level of ability. If his differing needs would make it hard for him to compete in mainstream competitions, Special Olympics would be a great program for him. If his needs do not inhibit him from competing in mainstream competition, there isn’t really a need for him to participate in the program.
Interesting I never knew that but I don't really follow sports of any kind so I don't know much about them. Maybe I'll look more into what they offer locally and see if it would be a good fit for him.
Locked Previous topicNext topic