Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

True. My Algebra professor in college was a Black man from Jamaica. He didn’t like when people told him he was African American. He said he was neither! He was right. He wasn’t African and he wasn’t American.
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:27 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:21 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 am

So is Elon Musk an African American? He was born and raised in Africa…
"Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa"

https://census.gov/
The problem is, this definition is based on America’s flawed perception of diversity because PJ’s point is valid.
African - American doesn’t always mean the person’s race is Black and people born on Africa shouldn’t be told how to identity based on America’s standards IMHO.

Everyone self identifies differently but that’s why a lot of people prefer Black over African-American because there is some gray area there.

The issue with this story is DeSantis’ intent. He is being a racist and disrespectful sick bag by removing Rosa Park’s race. I don’t have a problem if she was referred to as African -American or Black…it’s the fact that her race wasn’t mentioned at all is the problem.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:33 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:04 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:17 pm

They are supposed to be teaching facts so they can show the signs all over the South that said “No colored allowed”, or “No dogs, negroes or Mexicans”. I don’t even know how this is suddenly an issue
They should be teaching facts about the history of racism all over this country… not just the south.
Agree. I was just reading this morning an article about Sundown Towns. Admittedly, I was surprised to read that they were much more prevalent in the North than in the South because I had unintentionally fallen into the trap of thinking that somehow one side was better than the other when it came to racism.
It is true that it was dangerous for Black people to be out at night from what the elders use to tell us but it wasn’t limited to certain towns to my knowledge. You had to watch your back no matter where you were. Maybe it was more prevalent up north because they weren’t as out in the open with it like the south? Idk..

I do think schools could do a better job of focusing on historical racism all over the country because it’s not just the south and it’s more to it then just slavery.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:24 pm

They should be teaching facts about the history of racism all over this country… not just the south.
Agree. I was just reading this morning an article about Sundown Towns. Admittedly, I was surprised to read that they were much more prevalent in the North than in the South because I had unintentionally fallen into the trap of thinking that somehow one side was better than the other when it came to racism.
It is true that it was dangerous for Black people to be out at night from what the elders use to tell us but it wasn’t limited to certain towns to my knowledge. You had to watch your back no matter where you were. Maybe it was more prevalent up north because they weren’t as out in the open with it like the south? Idk..

I do think schools could do a better job of focusing on historical racism all over the country because it’s not just the south and it’s more to it then just slavery.
Here was the post I was reading:

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:17 pm

They are supposed to be teaching facts so they can show the signs all over the South that said “No colored allowed”, or “No dogs, negroes or Mexicans”. I don’t even know how this is suddenly an issue
I did not disagree so I’m not sure why that’s necessary.

I remember being taught about sundown towns and laws against interracial marriages in the North. Sundown towns were in every state in the country.

The whole country was racist but let’s not try and change history like Florida is doing. It was worse in the South. Northern states created laws outlawing segregation in schools starting in the 1850’s. Over a hundred years later Southern states were forced to desegregate.
Virtually all lynching of Black people were done in Southern states.

Laws were created much quicker in the North to stop discrimination. Not everyone was compliant and there continued to be discrimination.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964, a major piece of legislator intended to end discrimination based on race, color, religion in the United States. 92% Southern legislators voted against it. 90% of Northern lawmakers voted for it. A divided country.

There is racism in the North, most aren’t. . Most people in the South are not racist, but the racists still have a lot of power. But teaching the history of segregation, voting rights, KKK, violence, lynching, this is a Southern history.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How do you know they aren’t? Did your schools teach it? Teach redlined districts, teach Blacks weren’t able to get good jobs until in the 1970’s there were quotas. What else do you think should be taught.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:09 pm

I remember being taught about sundown towns and laws against interracial marriages in the North. Sundown towns were in every state in the country.

The whole country was racist but let’s not try and change history like Florida is doing. It was worse in the South. Northern states created laws outlawing segregation in schools starting in the 1850’s. Over a hundred years later Southern states were forced to desegregate.

Laws were created much quicker in the North to stop discrimination. Not everyone was compliant and there continued to be discrimination.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964, a major piece of legislator intended to end discrimination based on race, color, religion in the United States. 92% Southern legislators voted against it. 90% of Northern lawmakers voted for it. A divided country.

There is racism in the North, most aren’t. . Most people in the South are not racist, but the racists still have a lot of power. But teaching the history of segregation, voting rights, KKK, violence, lynching, this is a Southern history.
It's not a point system based contest, Lemons.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:12 pm

How do you know they aren’t? Did your schools teach it? Teach redlined districts, teach Blacks weren’t able to get good jobs until in the 1970’s there were quotas. What else do you think should be taught.
Hell, I can tell you haven’t been properly educated on Black history or culture past damning the south or pushing a liberal agenda.

I have also said several times that I wasn’t raised to depend on the school to teach me my history because of stuff like this.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I guess Malcolm X, Black Panthers and other leaders outside of the south were just full of shit and complaining for nothing.

There is just as many racist people up north as down town. To minimize the racism that people go through in your area..is racist in itself.

The most racist President in modern history is from NY and he was the same racist when he was a Democrat all those years.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 pm

It's not a point system based contest, Lemons.
I don’t know what that means. Regarding North and Southern states? Where you just found out about sundown towns or where I don’t agree that the North was just as bad?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:59 pm

I guess Malcolm X, Black Panthers and other leaders outside of the south were just full of shit and complaining for nothing.

There is just as many racist people up north as down town. To minimize the racism that people go through in your area..is racist in itself.
Stop taking my words and twisting them to suit your agenda. When did I say people in the North did not suffer? When did I say there was no racism in the North?
Locked Previous topicNext topic