Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:18 am
Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 am The problem is that African-Americans can be Caucasian. I knew someone who was white and Jewish that was born in Africa. He has a British accent. Idk where in Africa he's from just that he was born on the continent. But the average child will most likely infer that Rosa Parks was black. DeSantis is also an idiot and I can't wait to see the back of him leaving office.
Not if one uses the legal definition.
So is Elon Musk an African American? He was born and raised in Africa…
"Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa"

https://census.gov/
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 am The problem is that African-Americans can be Caucasian. I knew someone who was white and Jewish that was born in Africa. He has a British accent. Idk where in Africa he's from just that he was born on the continent. But the average child will most likely infer that Rosa Parks was black. DeSantis is also an idiot and I can't wait to see the back of him leaving office.
That’s fine with me. DeSantis however is still an idiot. He’s controlling, judgmental, and probably is scared he’s secretly gay. Or is and can’t handle it. I’m also positive he doesn’t care about Florida he just wants to make the conservative right happy. But as far as the language change I think it’s up to African Americans themselves to say what they think.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:54 pm
That’s fine with me. DeSantis however is still an idiot. He’s controlling, judgmental, and probably is scared he’s secretly gay. Or is and can’t handle it. I’m also positive he doesn’t care about Florida he just wants to make the conservative right happy. But as far as the language change I think it’s up to African Americans themselves to say what they think.
He's building a house of cards with some of these bills as they are liable to be stopped by an appeals court. I think the woke one already has.

Did you hear about FAMU?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This is the oddest part ….

“ the second version eliminated almost every direct mention of race. Instead, the lessons were changed to say it was illegal for “men of certain groups” to be unemployed and that “certain groups of people” were not allowed to serve on a jury.”

Just when you think Florida can’t get worse. There are still “certain groups of people” who can’t serve on juries. It teaches them nothing.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:07 pm

He's building a house of cards with some of these bills as they are liable to be stopped by an appeals court. I think the woke one already has.

Did you hear about FAMU?
Just that they banned TikTok. I’ll look further.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:21 am

"Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa"

https://census.gov/
The problem is, this definition is based on America’s flawed perception of diversity because PJ’s point is valid.
African - American doesn’t always mean the person’s race is Black and people born on Africa shouldn’t be told how to identity based on America’s standards IMHO.

Everyone self identifies differently but that’s why a lot of people prefer Black over African-American because there is some gray area there.

The issue with this story is DeSantis’ intent. He is being a racist and disrespectful sick bag by removing Rosa Park’s race. I don’t have a problem if she was referred to as African -American or Black…it’s the fact that her race wasn’t mentioned at all is the problem.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

He technically is. I don’t speak for everyone but I wouldn’t care if he called himself African American as long as he isn’t doing it to be a troll or insult Black people.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:07 pm

Did you hear about FAMU?
I heard DeSantis pissed off HBCUs and Black Greek but I haven’t had time to read about the controversy.

What the hell happened?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Me too. I have met people who weren’t Black but is from Africa too, especially in transplant cities in Dallas.

America does need to do a better job of understanding that everyone doesn’t fall in one category. Especially if we claim to be a melting pot.

Honestly, I think these southern governors really felt like the confederate controversy was erasing history and stuff like this is payback because this is unreasonably petty.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:22 am This is the oddest part ….

“ the second version eliminated almost every direct mention of race. Instead, the lessons were changed to say it was illegal for “men of certain groups” to be unemployed and that “certain groups of people” were not allowed to serve on a jury.”

Just when you think Florida can’t get worse. There are still “certain groups of people” who can’t serve on juries. It teaches them nothing.
What are the teachers supposed to say when the kids ask what those certain groups were?
Locked Previous topicNext topic