Kenny G is asking court to stop making him pay $40,000 a month in alimony

Anonymous 2

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:56 am I know this is not always popular opinion, but I think alimony is outdated. I am fine with splitting all wealth at the time of the divorce, but after that…

I teach my kids, you need to always be ready to support yourself and any dependents, and should always consider this when making decisions about sacrificing your career & earning potential to support a spouse in their career.

Furthermore as the higher earner, I would be livid if I had to pay alimony to my husband. F that! I am totally on Team Kenny G even if he had the money, lol.
I don't think it's so cut and dry. When I divorced my husband, I was able to support myself but still got alimony which after 25 years of marriage, both of us thought of as fair. I always worked through our marriage as did he but he earned more.

Alimony is based on a formula in my state so this is what is looked like for me:

Husband income: $200,000 per year
My income: $80,000 per year

Which means I was entitled to $20,000 pre-tax from my husband in alimony. While perhaps to some, that seems unfair, but it did allow me to stay in our home and buy out my husband rather than having it sold and divided as it increased my verifiable income. It allowed me to continue with my career path which I was vested in. When my mother died and I inherited a sum of money, my income changed and we re-negotiated the alimony.

"We" don't know the terms of the divorce (i.e., was property evenly split or was alimony offered in lieu of some division), don't know the state of their finances, and don't know either of their financial earnings and obligations and yet it seems many are quick to jump on the wife. This is bolstered of course by the language used by KG's attorney but isn't that the point?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I think alimony is ridiculous. Child support yes but why are full grown adults getting money just because they used to be married to someone?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:48 pm If he can no longer afford that amount, an adjustment is fair. Regardless, of whether the ex wife is capable of working or is working and still receives alimony from him, is not an issue in my opinion. When they married and later divorced, this was the mutual understanding and agreement.
No one really agrees with alimony it's court ordered he can't refuse to pay without getting help in contempt.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:07 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:02 pm Oh cry me a river. Sell one of your houses and pay up Kenny.
Why should he have to pay for her to live if they are divorced and she's fully capable of working? I do not understand alimony after about 2 years if you're a stay-at-home wife or stay-at-home parent that gives you plenty of time to get off your ass and go find a F***ing job to take care of yourself a man should not be forced to take care of his ex-wife for the rest of her life to sit on her lazy ass just because they decided that they wanted to divorce.
Because that's not how alimony works. It's not an arbitrary payment given to a spouse until they find a job. It's part of a divorce settlement with the amount and duration determined by the court. Regardless of what Kenny's ex-spouse is current making or not making, he is required to honor that settlement agreement.

Now Kenny G can ask the court to change the alimony payments due to his change in income but he can't ask the court to reduce or stop alimony payments just because he's pissed that his ex wife isn't making more money. As the large holder of an investment and property portfolio and reported net worth of $100 million, he may have trouble convincing a court that he's destitute.
Actually that is how alimony works in most normal cases. Once the other person can take care of themselves or remarries the alimony stops. Sometimes it's on time clock and that's normally only 2-5 years not the rest of their lives. My brother just went through this alimony bull shit.

Just because he has a certain net worth doesn't mean shit either.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:23 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:07 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm

Why should he have to pay for her to live if they are divorced and she's fully capable of working? I do not understand alimony after about 2 years if you're a stay-at-home wife or stay-at-home parent that gives you plenty of time to get off your ass and go find a F***ing job to take care of yourself a man should not be forced to take care of his ex-wife for the rest of her life to sit on her lazy ass just because they decided that they wanted to divorce.
Because that's not how alimony works. It's not an arbitrary payment given to a spouse until they find a job. It's part of a divorce settlement with the amount and duration determined by the court. Regardless of what Kenny's ex-spouse is current making or not making, he is required to honor that settlement agreement.

Now Kenny G can ask the court to change the alimony payments due to his change in income but he can't ask the court to reduce or stop alimony payments just because he's pissed that his ex wife isn't making more money. As the large holder of an investment and property portfolio and reported net worth of $100 million, he may have trouble convincing a court that he's destitute.
Actually that is how alimony works in most normal cases. Once the other person can take care of themselves or remarries the alimony stops. Sometimes it's on time clock and that's normally only 2-5 years not the rest of their lives. My brother just went through this alimony bull shit.

Just because he has a certain net worth doesn't mean shit either.
"Alimony payments can be ordered to start while the divorce is still pending in court, which is known as interim or temporary alimony,2 and for a period of time after the divorce is finalized. The court will determine how long you or the other party will receive alimony. If you have been married for 20 years or longer, there is no limit to how long you can receive alimony. However, if you were married for less than 20 years, you cannot collect alimony for more than 50% of the length of the marriage.3 For example, if you were married for 10 years, you could only collect alimony for up to five years."

Kenny G and his ex wife were married for 21 years.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’m so far away from this kind of thing that I had to look and see who Kenny G is. I avoid real life custody battles, I don’t usually know who artists (other than country music) are, and I don’t watch the news. The majority of those thing’s aggravate my anxiety.

I wish I had that kind of money.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

$40,000 a month is a whole lot, but to me the statements from Kenny G's attorney seems mean spirited as that was the terms of the divorce settlement. I googled and while I know that "what are they worth" sites are pretty unreliable, Kenny G is worth $100 million and his ex is worth $1 million so I wonder if the alimony was in lieu of division of some of the assets or his ex is just super bad with money? I bet both of them were wishing they did a lump sum rather than monthly payments.

Just "fun stats" - alimony is awarded in only about 10% of divorces and the average award is 40% of the payee's salary.

It will be interesting to see if revised alimony is awarded. I'm sure TMZ will follow up, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

When you get married, you know you’re combining assets. It is no secret that you’re likely to pay alimony and/or child support when you divorce. Still, those things or understandings as a possibility do not deter many from getting married. So, it is an agreement that you are taking the chance of paying alimony and /or child support if you enter into marriage with another person and then divorce. The court sets the amounts based on whatever algorithm it uses.

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 am
cgd5112 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:48 pm If he can no longer afford that amount, an adjustment is fair. Regardless, of whether the ex wife is capable of working or is working and still receives alimony from him, is not an issue in my opinion. When they married and later divorced, this was the mutual understanding and agreement.
No one really agrees with alimony it's court ordered he can't refuse to pay without getting help in contempt.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:23 am When you get married, you know you’re combining assets. It is no secret that you’re likely to pay alimony and/or child support when you divorce. Still, those things or understandings as a possibility do not deter many from getting married. So, it is an agreement that you are taking the chance of paying alimony and /or child support if you enter into marriage with another person and then divorce. The court sets the amounts based on whatever algorithm it uses.

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 am
This is so true but I think many are not aware of what each spouse is entitled to upon divorce. I mean, you don't usually think about it until you're in it.

Last year I looked into getting a divorce from my husband and was hoping that we could just do a mediated divorce rather than hire attorney's. I presented a "plan" to my husband that I thought was fair and he refused. When I consulted with an attorney, I realized that I was due a hella lot more than what I was requesting. He was told the same from his attorney.

Couples should absolutely understand what each is entitled to when they divorce - with minor aged children, adult children, or no children. And when filing for divorce, each person should absolutely hire an attorney!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I think 10 years is plenty of time for her to get stable and increase her earnings potential. I'm guessing this is CA, geeze- what is the duration of alimony there?!?!?
Locked Previous topicNext topic