Florida textbook altered to remove references to Rosa Parks’s race: report

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"In the current lesson by Studies Weekly, which is used in 45,000 elementary schools, the event is described: “The law said African Americans had to give up their seats on the bus if a white person wanted to sit down.”

But in an early version created for Florida’s review by Studies Weekly, the lesson changed to: “She was told to move to a different seat because of the color of her skin.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... ce-report/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Didn't the letter of the law specify African Americans?
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wow. DeSantis must think Floridians in schools are dumb. Any kid can go on social media and learn about Rosa Parks.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:23 pm Didn't the letter of the law specify African Americans?
I don't think the term existed during Rosa Parks era?

This is current FL law on the teaching of AA history:

(h) The history of African Americans, including the history of African peoples before the political conflicts that led to the development of slavery, the passage to America, the enslavement experience, abolition, and the history and contributions of Americans of the African diaspora to society. Students shall develop an understanding of the ramifications of prejudice, racism, and stereotyping on individual freedoms, and examine what it means to be a responsible and respectful person, for the purpose of encouraging tolerance of diversity in a pluralistic society and for nurturing and protecting democratic values and institutions. Instruction shall include the roles and contributions of individuals from all walks of life and their endeavors to learn and thrive throughout history as artists, scientists, educators, businesspeople, influential thinkers, members of the faith community, and political and governmental leaders and the courageous steps they took to fulfill the promise of democracy and unite the nation. Instructional materials shall include the vital contributions of African Americans to build and strengthen American society and celebrate the inspirational stories of African Americans who prospered, even in the most difficult circumstances. Instructional personnel may facilitate discussions and use curricula to address, in an age-appropriate manner, how the individual freedoms of persons have been infringed by slavery, racial oppression, racial segregation, and racial discrimination, as well as topics relating to the enactment and enforcement of laws resulting in racial oppression, racial segregation, and racial discrimination and how recognition of these freedoms has overturned these unjust laws. However, classroom instruction and curriculum may not be used to indoctrinate or persuade students to a particular point of view inconsistent with the principles enumerated in subsection (3) or the state academic standards. The department shall prepare and offer standards and curriculum for the instruction required by this paragraph and may seek input from the Commissioner of Education’s African American History Task Force.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... dependence.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The problem is that African-Americans can be Caucasian. I knew someone who was white and Jewish that was born in Africa. He has a British accent. Idk where in Africa he's from just that he was born on the continent. But the average child will most likely infer that Rosa Parks was black. DeSantis is also an idiot and I can't wait to see the back of him leaving office.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 am The problem is that African-Americans can be Caucasian. I knew someone who was white and Jewish that was born in Africa. He has a British accent. Idk where in Africa he's from just that he was born on the continent. But the average child will most likely infer that Rosa Parks was black. DeSantis is also an idiot and I can't wait to see the back of him leaving office.
Not if one uses the legal definition.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:18 am
Pjmm wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 am The problem is that African-Americans can be Caucasian. I knew someone who was white and Jewish that was born in Africa. He has a British accent. Idk where in Africa he's from just that he was born on the continent. But the average child will most likely infer that Rosa Parks was black. DeSantis is also an idiot and I can't wait to see the back of him leaving office.
So is Elon Musk an African American? He was born and raised in Africa…
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 am
Elon Musk retains citizenship in South Africa where he was born, Canada, and the United States. He is a US citizen through Immigration.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:55 am

Elon Musk retains citizenship in South Africa where he was born, Canada, and the United States. He is a US citizen through Immigration.
Right… but the question was, since he was born and raised in Africa and now lives in America, is he counted as an African American?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:58 am
Baconqueen13 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:55 am

Right… but the question was, since he was born and raised in Africa and now lives in America, is he counted as an African American?
No, because it is an ethnic group based on skin color and not a geographical location. But being the grifter he is, I'm sure he tried to claim some benefits using his "african" heritage" as an excuse.
Locked Previous topicNext topic