San Francisco could pay $5 million to each of its Black residents in reparations

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:20 am
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:08 am

So a 22 year old with Nordic parents could be eligible as long as they say they’ve identified as Black since they were 11…
If they have at least 10 years of documentation and meet 2 of the other criteria.

The $5 million is just one of over 100 recommendations which will be voted on and approved, rejected, or changed. Personally I think that some of the other recommendations would be more transformative for individuals and the community at large rather than a single cash payout.
Those would be the 2 criteria… born in 1995 there and they have pictures of themselves in blackface at a high school party…

This is just a ridiculous moment in history…
Do you feel someone in blackface is "identifying" as black? Maybe, if you also feel someone could be 22 when born in 1995.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:27 am
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:54 am

If they have at least 10 years of documentation and meet 2 of the other criteria.

The $5 million is just one of over 100 recommendations which will be voted on and approved, rejected, or changed. Personally I think that some of the other recommendations would be more transformative for individuals and the community at large rather than a single cash payout.
Those would be the 2 criteria… born in 1995 there and they have pictures of themselves in blackface at a high school party…

Do you feel someone in blackface is "identifying" as black? Maybe, if you also feel someone could be 22 when born in 1995.
Lol well you’re right, I meant to type 32…

But yeah… I think this is so ridiculous that the powers that be wouldn’t be allowed to deny someone saying that they were identifying as Black… “Their truth” can’t be argued with.

I wonder if they’ll force the Native American families living there to pay the $600,000 per “other” family for their role in slavery… or the Chinese-Americans that got here in the 1970’s… or the White Quakers that fought against slavery for the entire time they’ve been in this country…

I guess bankrupting a bunch of innocent people is the suggested method of making things fair again…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:09 am

But yeah… I think this is so ridiculous that the powers that be wouldn’t be allowed to deny someone saying that they were identifying as Black… “Their truth” can’t be argued with.

I wonder if they’ll force the Native American families living there to pay the $600,000 per “other” family for their role in slavery… or the Chinese-Americans that got here in the 1970’s… or the White Quakers that fought against slavery for the entire time they’ve been in this country…

I guess bankrupting a bunch of innocent people is the suggested method of making things fair again…
Do you think Black people shouldn't get reparations at all?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 am

I don’t think people who had nothing to do with slavery should have to pay huge sums of money that could bankrupt them -in the spirit of fairness… or any money really.

I think there should be plenty of scholarships available, legal funds available for anyone who was a victim of racism by a company (like the couple who just won for their home valuation), I think there should be a quarter of the military budget taken and given to education so we make every single school in America top notch…there’s plenty of realistic solutions to offer everyone a great life.

But giving anyone who “identifies” as Black 5 million dollars is so unfeasible it’s making me think this is just a ruse anyway…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:36 pm Lmao… best part is, who is eligible?

Anyone who has “identified” as Black for ten years or more… so Rachael Dolezal is totally in the running for a payment.
Under San Francisco’s draft recommendation, a person must be at least 18 years old and have identified as “Black/African American” in public documents for at least 10 years. Eligible people must also meet two of eight other criteria, though the list may change.
This might be referring to mixed race Black Americans too. IDK why, but people make it a big deal what which race we "chose" on paperwork.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 am

I don’t think people who had nothing to do with slavery should have to pay huge sums of money that could bankrupt them -in the spirit of fairness… or any money really.

I think there should be plenty of scholarships available, legal funds available for anyone who was a victim of racism by a company (like the couple who just won for their home valuation), I think there should be a quarter of the military budget taken and given to education so we make every single school in America top notch…there’s plenty of realistic solutions to offer everyone a great life.

But giving anyone who “identifies” as Black 5 million dollars is so unfeasible it’s making me think this is just a ruse anyway…
Well, unfortunately the money has to come from somewhere, so that will likely be taxpayers paying America's debts unless they find a way to different way to do it.

I agree with you on the "identifies" thing for multiple reasons (I just named one). Obsessing over which race people list on paper has always been a pet peeve of mine as far as ignorance.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion...but this is another reason why we are going to have to find a middle ground when it comes to what people identify with and following science because its adding way too much gray in other areas. In Mississippi, Native American benefits were based off biological percentage if I'm not mistaken. So there shouldn't be a need to care about what race someone puts on a piece of paper and that logic has always been racist/problematic to me.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That is absurd (of course, it's California) and won't solve anything for those still "stuck" in a system that keeps them held down. Sure, it will make a difference for a few, but no where near the majority that actually needs the help to change the circumstances they were put in.

Also, what's on the books for paying the indigenous people? Pay one, need to pay all, yes?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I think cities/states pushing for reparations is a great way to push for a national solution, but it can get messy if it varies from city or state.

But this is still better than no conversation or movement at all, so kudos to San Francisco for that.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:04 am I think cities/states pushing for reparations is a great way to push for a national solution, but it can get messy if it varies from city or state.

But this is still better than no conversation or movement at all, so kudos to San Francisco for that.
You’ll hate this but the most damage done to Black Americans were Southern states. And they would have the easiest time going back in history not that long ago and see what land was stolen, who and what businesses used slaves and who has great+ grandparents who were slaves. Since the Southern states are currently trying to silence the violence and horrors of slavery in America it’s not going to happen.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:21 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:04 am I think cities/states pushing for reparations is a great way to push for a national solution, but it can get messy if it varies from city or state.

You’ll hate this but the most damage done to Black Americans were Southern states. And they would have the easiest time going back in history not that long ago and see what land was stolen, who and what businesses used slaves and who has great+ grandparents who were slaves. Since the Southern states are currently trying to silence the violence and horrors of slavery in America it’s not going to happen.
SMH
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic