Trashy Republicans have taken over the party

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

I can't quote anyone, lol.

Bob, your list was really interesting to me as that describes most middle class families of the 1970s so seeing it described as a list for the wealthy is surprising. As an example, my grandfather was a butcher in Michigan and obtained your measures of wealth but I would never say that he was wealthy (except in character, family, friendships, and ethics).

Just for giggles, a congressional salary in 1970 was $42,500 per annum. Utilizing the cost of living calculator, that translates to $320,500 per annum today.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:15 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:58 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:57 am
I think it would be fantastic, but not feasible.
Well, we could generalize a bit. It's not feasible for every person to have a car, but every person could have transportation adequate to their needs. Not everyone can be "three steps ahead of everyone else" but everyone could get excellent education. Not everyone can travel anywhere or pursue every interest, but everyone could have fun places to go and interesting things to do. Etc.

So if your list just represents a decent, fun, enriching human life without deprivation, should every person have this?
Sure, everyone should have it… it just doesn’t really work out in reality for everyone to be able to afford it.
We should be working hard to change this. It's not unfeasible to make it so that everyone can afford a basic good life. Every person who we allow to grow up hungry, uneducated and bored becomes a risk factor.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:16 pm $175K gross is not wealth.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:38 pm Through every stretch of the imagination, except maybe through the eyes of the privileged… it is wealth.
cgd5112 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:18 pm No it's not by any stretch wealth.

It could create wealth. If a family lives frugally, buys used cars, lives in a lower priced home they can have money left over to invest. Keep it up and wealth will follow.

But too many people push their spending to the extreme. Two new leased BMWs every two years, international vacations three time a year, a huge house where they can barely afford the huge mortgage they took out. Anything necessary to appear like they have it all I’ve seen people live like this and then bitch about how they’re going to pay for college.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:41 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:16 pm $175K gross is not wealth.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:38 pm Through every stretch of the imagination, except maybe through the eyes of the privileged… it is wealth.
It could create wealth. If a family lives frugally, buys used cars, lives in a lower priced home they can have money left over to invest. Keep it up and wealth will follow.

But too many people push their spending to the extreme. Two new leased BMWs every two years, international vacations three time a year, a huge house where they can barely afford the huge mortgage they took out. Anything necessary to appear like they have it all I’ve seen people live like this and then bitch about how they’re going to pay for college.
Agree, especially in areas who don’t have a high coat of living like NY or HI.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I think that is the way the American public has been going for a while. We can't even be bothered to put on real pants to go to the grocery store. We deny that basic public education is for the greater good and we take offense to simple facts. It has been quite some time that American tact and class has been going downhill and our politics are mirroring this.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:10 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:08 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:25 am

This is an example of why Democrats need to quit picking and choosing when to be “woke”.

No, being Black from Mississippi means oppression olympics is insulting my intelligence and to be deathly clear, I was raised by survivors not victims..so I was still held accountable for my behavior.

It doesn’t matter if AOC is Puerto Rican, using it for political showboating is still damaging to a movement and WAY too many died for me to condone her making a mockery out of it.
Every lawmaker who isn’t White talks about their race and background How many times do we hear “as a Black woman” from lawmakers and commentators? AOCs being Puerto Rican and talking about her stories does not make it a contest.

And it’s my ignorance, but I still don’t get the overuse of Woke or even what woke is. . I think it’s lost all meaning. How do you think Democrats use woke and who is your definition of using woke, lawmakers or people who vote for a democrat?
You’re gonna hear “as a Black woman” as long as you need and it would be nice if white liberal lawmakers can listen instead of undermining our point with the race card (AOC being Puerto Rican in this case) because our point makes their party look bad.

Yes, the term “woke” it did lose meaning because white liberals culturally appropriated the term instead of taking the time to understand what the movement means and that won’t happen over night. I can’t explain decades of a movement in one conversation but I’ll start trying to point out examples so explain it over time.

In this particular case, AOC being Puerto Rican doesn’t matter or change the fact that Democrats have a serious problem with pandering. It doesn’t matter if they found a minority thirsty enough to do it for them. I do not consider AOC a “sell out” (that is a very harsh term) but that is where the logic comes from.

And side note: No, you’re far from ignorant. We disagree but you’re very intelligent and I have learned a lot from you and Lex as far as northern culture. I actually enjoyed my last trip to NY because of my conversations with ya’ll. ❤️
I read about the origins of “stay woke” that started with random killings of Black men, Russell Ferguson, Zimmerman getting away with killing Trayvon, etc. Stay alert for subtle and blatant racism.

What I don’t understand is how liberals came into play. Can you explain what happened here? How they fucked it up?

All I know is the conservatives have taken the expression and applied it to any thing they are against. And it’s not even logical .

And thanks, it’s like we have three different countries. We all help explaining our little piece of the countries.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:34 pm

Every lawmaker who isn’t White talks about their race and background How many times do we hear “as a Black woman” from lawmakers and commentators? AOCs being Puerto Rican and talking about her stories does not make it a contest.

And it’s my ignorance, but I still don’t get the overuse of Woke or even what woke is. . I think it’s lost all meaning. How do you think Democrats use woke and who is your definition of using woke, lawmakers or people who vote for a democrat?
You’re gonna hear “as a Black woman” as long as you need and it would be nice if white liberal lawmakers can listen instead of undermining our point with the race card (AOC being Puerto Rican in this case) because our point makes their party look bad.

Yes, the term “woke” it did lose meaning because white liberals culturally appropriated the term instead of taking the time to understand what the movement means and that won’t happen over night. I can’t explain decades of a movement in one conversation but I’ll start trying to point out examples so explain it over time.

In this particular case, AOC being Puerto Rican doesn’t matter or change the fact that Democrats have a serious problem with pandering. It doesn’t matter if they found a minority thirsty enough to do it for them. I do not consider AOC a “sell out” (that is a very harsh term) but that is where the logic comes from.

And side note: No, you’re far from ignorant. We disagree but you’re very intelligent and I have learned a lot from you and Lex as far as northern culture. I actually enjoyed my last trip to NY because of my conversations with ya’ll. ❤️
I read about the origins of “stay woke” that started with random killings of Black men, Russell Ferguson, Zimmerman getting away with killing Trayvon, etc. Stay alert for subtle and blatant racism.

What I don’t understand is how liberals came into play. Can you explain what happened here? How they fucked it up?

All I know is the conservatives have taken the expression and applied it to any thing they are against. And it’s not even logical .

And thanks, it’s like we have three different countries. We all help explaining our little piece of the countries.
The question to ask is "what does the movement mean to Black people?" Liberals just jumped in an took over just as they've been doing since the sixties.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:10 pm

The question to ask is "what does the movement mean to Black people?" Liberals just jumped in an took over just as they've been doing since the sixties.

My question is how did the term Woke become a word for everything that conservatives hate.

The civil rights movement had White people join the protests. But every prominent figure that made the civil rights movement successful was Black. No one was taking this victory away from Black people or giving White people any credit. Some White college kids volunteering to help was not taking over.

Maybe that’s what Desantis is doing now, 60:years later, trying to erase Black history.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I am sure everyone has different opinions as far as what it means and it’s hard to explain..but it’s basically when you’re reached a level of enlightenment as far as racism/black social issues. It’s new term but its not a new concept or movement that recently started and it’s the same complaints people have had with liberals since the Civil Rights Movement. It’s white liberal extremists mainly and they exploit minorities/identity politics for political gain and they don’t have boundaries.

A few examples

- Far left extremists who claimed to protect Black and Brown people (who did not ask or need them) but it was just an excuse for violence towards Trump supporters over politics.

- The overzealous pandering and identity politics facilitates a “ the boy who cried wolf” environment which is also extremely counterproductive.

- Black community asked for police reform but the goal post was moved so we got the Dixie Chicks changing their name, people fighting over pancake syrup and harassing people with cancel culture.

And when you (general) bring this to their attention, they either nitpick what you’re saying to deny it’s a problem or start blaming conservatives instead of genuinely trying to understand.

That’s why a lot of times minorities (not just Black) just tell white peoples to stay out of stuff because a it’s draining and nothing gets accomplished because the chaos takes over everything.

I’m not saying that’s right and some of these kids go too far with the safe spaces but that is how they have been F***ing up for decades.

YW! Yes! I was saying that the other day. I went to NY, MS and Hawaii over the course of 4 months and it was like I was in different countries. It does help when we all talk about our little corners but I have personally gained a lot from it.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:20 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:15 pm
SallyMae wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:58 pm

Well, we could generalize a bit. It's not feasible for every person to have a car, but every person could have transportation adequate to their needs. Not everyone can be "three steps ahead of everyone else" but everyone could get excellent education. Not everyone can travel anywhere or pursue every interest, but everyone could have fun places to go and interesting things to do. Etc.

So if your list just represents a decent, fun, enriching human life without deprivation, should every person have this?
Sure, everyone should have it… it just doesn’t really work out in reality for everyone to be able to afford it.
We should be working hard to change this. It's not unfeasible to make it so that everyone can afford a basic good life. Every person who we allow to grow up hungry, uneducated and bored becomes a risk factor.
People also need to put forth the effort to create the circumstances that allow them to live a life that is fulfilling on their terms. There are many individuals that don't feel they need to make an effort, that they should just be afforded a good life simply existing. That's not right, when others have to work toward that good life. Those taking steps toward living their fulfilling life shouldn't have to carry that dead weight on their backs. We get out of life what we put into it.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic