Trashy Republicans have taken over the party

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:18 am
It is.

That amount of money means they know their children will be able to eat as much as they want every night…

It means they will never have to worry about whether or not the electric bill can be paid.

It means never having to worry that the water will get shut off,

It means knowing you can afford the gas you need to put into the car to get to work,

It means being lucky enough to have that car,

It means being able to go on vacation wherever you want, even if you have to save up to take the trip…

It means being able to afford to get to a family members funeral across the country if you suddenly need to…

It means being able to afford a loved ones funeral.

It means being able to go to whatever dance or event you want and look good showing up…

It means being able to get into any craft you want and afford all the materials whenever you want…

It means being able to afford that school tuition for your child so they will be three steps ahead of everyone else when the time comes for them to make a living on their own…

I think we’ve lost sight of what it means to be wealthy and privileged.
Most Americans, let alone people on earth can’t do that.

It doesn’t just mean Bentleys and mansions.
Do you think every person should have everything from this list?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Bob, for some reason I can't respond to you?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:02 am Bob, for some reason I can't respond to you?
Really? I don’t know why that would be?
My front page is really glitchy today though
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:06 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:02 am Bob, for some reason I can't respond to you?
Really? I don’t know why that would be?
My front page is really glitchy today though
It's allowing me to respond to this comment, but not the previous one, lol.

by BobCobbMagob » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:18 am

Thelma Harper wrote: ↑Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:14 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: ↑Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:44 am
Then you’ve lost sight when it comes to how most people live.

In this world… that is privileged wealth that opens up doors many people will never have:.
cgd5112 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:16 pm
$175K gross is not wealth.

It's not really that privileged depending on where and how an individual or family lives. It's nothing for a house to be $400K or $32K a year. And right off the top, the federal taxes alone will take $32K. Two or more vehicles, which is about standard now. Phones, School tuition/loans, food... it adds up to an easier living/surviving situation, but it's not what I think of when I think of privileged.
It is.

That amount of money means they know their children will be able to eat as much as they want every night…

It means they will never have to worry about whether or not the electric bill can be paid.

It means knowing you can afford the gas you need to put into the car to get to work,

It means being able to go on vacation wherever you want, even if you have to save up to take the trip…

It means being able to afford to get to a family members funeral across the country if you suddenly need to…

It means being able to go to whatever dance or event you want and look good showing up…

It means being able to get into any craft you want and afford all the materials whenever you want…

It means being able to afford that school tuition for your child so they will be three steps ahead of everyone else when the time comes for them to make a living on their own…

As I wrote earlier, it depends on where and how they live. For me and mine, it's a small fortune that I could partially use to build wealth.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:27 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:39 am There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right,” @AOC says in response to criticism that she’s made factual errors.

“It’s insanely expensive, there is no stipend or per diem for it, and you’re not allowed to write it off even though your job forces you to have it. This creates real class dynamics in the House,” - discussing why her $175,000 salary is t enough to keep her out of the working middle class.
The cost of maintaining two residences on a $175k salary is actually a pretty common bipartisan gripe among Congresspeople: https://nypost.com/2018/05/01/these-pol ... money/amp/

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/06/27/jas ... idies.htmL

The “class dynamics” aspect of her comments is referring to the fact that those entering Congress with established wealth aren’t worrying about the cost of living comfortably in their home state and DC, while others sleep in their offices because a home state mortgage or rent plus DC rent is a larger chunk of income spent on housing than most people who earn any salary spend.
I follow Maxwell Frost on twitter and he was describing how difficult it was to find housing in DC as an incoming freshman congressman with no savings, no real credit history, low reported income prior to being elected, and no paycheck until February. Funny enough it was Chef Andres who got him hooked up with temporary housing until he could save enough to obtain a lease.

$175k a year is a decent salary but IMO, not enough to set up a second residence in DC. When my husband was with State Department, he never accepted a DC post as we couldn't afford it though our household income was about that. In our experience, only tandem couples, singles with family in the DC area, or employees who owned property in the DC area were able to swing it.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There's no "then" or loss of any "sight". That income amount in NYC is a livable wage. It's not a rich earning much less wealth earning.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:44 am Then you’ve lost sight when it comes to how most people live.

In this world… that is privileged wealth that opens up doors many people will never have:.
cgd5112 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:16 pm $175K gross is not wealth.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:38 pm Through every stretch of the imagination, except maybe through the eyes of the privileged… it is wealth.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:59 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:18 am
It is.

I think it would be fantastic, but not feasible.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:57 am
Well, we could generalize a bit. It's not feasible for every person to have a car, but every person could have transportation adequate to their needs. Not everyone can be "three steps ahead of everyone else" but everyone could get excellent education. Not everyone can travel anywhere or pursue every interest, but everyone could have fun places to go and interesting things to do. Etc.

So if your list just represents a decent, fun, enriching human life without deprivation, should every person have this?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:58 pm
Well, we could generalize a bit. It's not feasible for every person to have a car, but every person could have transportation adequate to their needs. Not everyone can be "three steps ahead of everyone else" but everyone could get excellent education. Not everyone can travel anywhere or pursue every interest, but everyone could have fun places to go and interesting things to do. Etc.

So if your list just represents a decent, fun, enriching human life without deprivation, should every person have this?
Sure, everyone should have it… it just doesn’t really work out in reality for everyone to be able to afford it.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:58 pm

Sure, everyone should have it… it just doesn’t really work out in reality for everyone to be able to afford it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic