In some states, an unpaid foster care bill could mean parents lose their kids forever

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:11 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:12 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:09 pm

I find that hard to believe. But I didn't ask you about it being due to debt.
Parents whose children were taken for neglect or finances should be able to get their kids back with assistance. Physical abuse on the other hand doesn’t just go away.

There was a case in Michigan where a child was in foster care for about 7 years. The foster couple wanted to adopt him because returning him failed before. The Judge returned the child to the parents because she wasn’t going to be the first Judge to give a Native American child to a White couple. The child was dead within weeks of horrific torture and abuse.

I don’t think parents owing money is a red flag.
It happens a lot and I know of that case. That's why my top priority is why the child was removed. CPS generally doesn't send those kids back. Judges do.
That may be but this SPECIFIC post is about parents not getting kids back due to an unpaid foster care bill to the state.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"And the investigation found that two federal laws basically contradict each other: One recent law directs child-welfare agencies to prioritize reuniting families. The other law, almost 40 years old, tells states to charge parents for the cost of child care, which makes it harder for families to reunite."

"The NPR investigation also found that:

The fees are charged almost exclusively to the poorest families;
When parents get billed, children spend added time in foster care and the extra debt follows families for years, making it hard for them to climb out of poverty; and
Government raises little money, or even loses money, when it tries to collect.
NPR analyzed federal and state data, collected published and unpublished research, and sent freedom of information requests to all 50 states and the District of Columbia for documents, demographic information and other data for state foster care and child support enforcement programs."

"In 2018, Congress reformed funding for child welfare when it passed the Family First Preservation Services Act. That law tells state child welfare agencies to make it their focus to preserve families and help struggling parents get their lives back on track so that they can be safely reunited with their children.

But a 1984 federal law still stands, as do additional state laws, that call for making many parents pay for some
of the cost of foster care. Among the costs the federal funding pays for: shelter, food and clothing; case planning; and the training of foster parents."

306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Being legal doesn't make it any less corrupt. CPS is basically selling the kid off to punish the parents for an unpaid bill. Any foster that adopts that child is guilty by association. I don't care if a court ruled it legal, still corrupt and bordering on child trafficking. The child was literally stolen and sold over an unpaid bill like they were a F***ing repossessed car.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:40 pm You can hate that law all you want, but that doesn’t make that adoption corrupt and unlawful because it is done according to the law.
And you’re assuming the adoptive parents are participants in a “corrupt” adoption when they simply adopted a boy that was put up for adoption according to the law. Don’t take it out on them because you disagree with this law. Do something to try to change it. You’re vilifying them without even knowing the facts, just because you hate this law, so obviously they are horrible people from benefiting from it, even if they don’t have all the facts themselves or are doing something good for this child, since they won’t change the law by refusing to adopt him.
And even if they knew all the facts, what do you expect them to do? Not give the boy a loving home because the law is unfair? Leave him hanging and hope he doesn’t end up in a bad situation because they got all higher than thou? If that’s the law, then the boy won’t be returned to his parents just because they get on a soapbox and refuse to adopt him. And that’s better for that child how, exactly?
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:41 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 am

Yikes.. fake? I mean.. I understand where you are coming from as children should stay with their bio families unless absolutely necessary and TPR due to lack of payment is not ok, but to call people fake is just cruel. The same people that have forced the TPR are the same ones giving information to the new parents. Do you really think that people that have been underhanded and forced TPR would be forthcoming with: this child is only available because the bio parents could not pay fees required by the state so we just took them away? The odds are slim that the new parents know this information so they are also being caught in this web of lies.

That said, I'm an adoptive parent to a little girl internationally adopted. She would have lived in an orphanage until 13 and then tossed into the street as by law they are not allowed to stay at the SWI after 13 years of age unless they have a medical disabililty. We have no information about her first family as she was found on the beach with no note or anything. We brought her home at 17 months old so we are all she has ever known. We have tried to find her first family, but have been unsuccessful over the years. She is now 17 and I can guarantee that if you ever called us "fake" in front of her, she would have some serious words for you. Adoptees do not deserve to be denigrated for being adopted, nor do their families.
I should have clarified. I do not think all are fake. Most are freakin' awesome. But in a situation like this, where they adopt a child because the parents were TPR'd over a bill - yes, they're fake. Their adoption is corrupt at best because they didn't help a child, they helped themselves to a child who should have gone back home. Those folks will be in for a rude awakening when the child finds out they were adopted out by the state over a damned bill.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:56 pm Being legal doesn't make it any less corrupt. CPS is basically selling the kid off to punish the parents for an unpaid bill. Any foster that adopts that child is guilty by association. I don't care if a court ruled it legal, still corrupt and bordering on child trafficking. The child was literally stolen and sold over an unpaid bill like they were a F***ing repossessed car.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:40 pm You can hate that law all you want, but that doesn’t make that adoption corrupt and unlawful because it is done according to the law.
And you’re assuming the adoptive parents are participants in a “corrupt” adoption when they simply adopted a boy that was put up for adoption according to the law. Don’t take it out on them because you disagree with this law. Do something to try to change it. You’re vilifying them without even knowing the facts, just because you hate this law, so obviously they are horrible people from benefiting from it, even if they don’t have all the facts themselves or are doing something good for this child, since they won’t change the law by refusing to adopt him.
And even if they knew all the facts, what do you expect them to do? Not give the boy a loving home because the law is unfair? Leave him hanging and hope he doesn’t end up in a bad situation because they got all higher than thou? If that’s the law, then the boy won’t be returned to his parents just because they get on a soapbox and refuse to adopt him. And that’s better for that child how, exactly?
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:41 pm

I should have clarified. I do not think all are fake. Most are freakin' awesome. But in a situation like this, where they adopt a child because the parents were TPR'd over a bill - yes, they're fake. Their adoption is corrupt at best because they didn't help a child, they helped themselves to a child who should have gone back home. Those folks will be in for a rude awakening when the child finds out they were adopted out by the state over a damned bill.
I wish there was a "how stupid can ya get" button along side the like button.
Locked Previous topicNext topic