First Baptist Church members must now sign sexuality oath opposing LGBTQ freedoms

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:25 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:53 am
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:26 am "It's right that every member agree to such a statement before they join us to receive our care." oof
That’s my biggest sticking point. It’s putting terms and conditions on love and care which imo is not what Jesus did so neither should we. Definitely not a church I’d be interested in.
I'm only familiar with mainline protestant churches where the statement of faith is Nicene Creed so this seemed antithetical to the Christian faith I grew up in.
It does to me as well as a member of a SBC church. SBC churches are autonomous congregational churches, so each church is allowed to have their own rules basically, such as this. As a church, I believe you have to affirm the Baptist Faith and Message statement.

https://bfm.sbc.net/bfm2000/

https://theconversation.com/infighting- ... ars-163320

Here’s a link to why you shouldn’t sign a church membership covenant/contract.

https://www.wadeburleson.org/2015/05/fi ... hurch.html
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:42 pm

That’s my biggest sticking point. It’s putting terms and conditions on love and care which imo is not what Jesus did so neither should we. Definitely not a church I’d be interested in.
I'm only familiar with mainline protestant churches where the statement of faith is Nicene Creed so this seemed antithetical to the Christian faith I grew up in.
It does to me as well as a member of a SBC church. SBC churches are autonomous congregational churches, so each church is allowed to have their own rules basically, such as this. As a church, I believe you have to affirm the Baptist Faith and Message statement.

https://bfm.sbc.net/bfm2000/

https://theconversation.com/infighting- ... ars-163320

Thank you for posting.

I wrote a few months ago in a post that churches who want to survive need to be more inclusive than exclusive. This church must feel that exclusivity is a good working model and while they are allowed to set those rules for themselves as a church, I find it sad. IMO, everyone should feel welcome and ministered to in a church and those churches who are exclusive to certain demographics are destined to eventually fail. If you are only ministering to an elite few who completely follow your doctrine and beliefs, are you truly ministering?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:50 pm They aren’t the divine-they are an organization run by mere mortals. Mortals who interpret the teaching and word to fit what ever teaching they deem to be truth.

If every denomination under the branch of Christianity taught and believes the same thing there wouldn’t be the need for denominations.

The baptists are an extreme example. Don’t want to follow their teachings then don’t be a baptist within their congregation. Easy peasy.

Pjmm wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:23 pm
Heyteacher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:48 am Ok..:and? Religious entities have long made their own rules for their congregants…and the baptists have long been k own to be extreme…
Other than Jesus didn’t discriminate on who he spoke to. Samaritans, tax collectors (who were despised at the time) it was all one with him. Even healed the servant of a Roman as I recall. Besides say you’re a church and your mission is to bring sinners to God’s Grace. Then by your messiah’s example of accepting the outcasts you should welcome those you don’t agree with. Now I’m not saying I believe homosexuality is a sin. I don’t. I’m saying the Baptists can’t read a Bible. They are hypocrites and I’d say “How can you remove the splinter from your brothers eye and ignore the beam in your own?” I’m not always certain of Jesus’s nature or of heaven’s existence. but moments like this I truly hope he’s God so I can watch him say to these people “truly I do not know you.”

I also wonder how many of the members are divorced, something Jesus was very strongly against. or cheating on their wives. Another thing Jesus truly hated.
That church can do whatever it wants. Not going to stop me from saying what I think about it. I think more Christians should say these things. It’s churches such as those that give the religion the reputation of being close minded if not downright cruel. Sadly Christians don’t understand that just because you think your neighbor is sinful is no reason to turn away from them. Especially when S*x orientation is biologically determined. Which means God made them that way. One has to wonder about a deity that does that and then calls it a sin. But I digress. That church is a disgrace. They can do what they want though and I hope other Baptist branches complain.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:50 pm They aren’t the divine-they are an organization run by mere mortals. Mortals who interpret the teaching and word to fit what ever teaching they deem to be truth.

If every denomination under the branch of Christianity taught and believes the same thing there wouldn’t be the need for denominations.

The baptists are an extreme example. Don’t want to follow their teachings then don’t be a baptist within their congregation. Easy peasy.

Heyteacher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:48 am Ok..:and? Religious entities have long made their own rules for their congregants…and the baptists have long been k own to be extreme…
Other than Jesus didn’t discriminate on who he spoke to. Samaritans, tax collectors (who were despised at the time) it was all one with him. Even healed the servant of a Roman as I recall. Besides say you’re a church and your mission is to bring sinners to God’s Grace. Then by your messiah’s example of accepting the outcasts you should welcome those you don’t agree with. Now I’m not saying I believe homosexuality is a sin. I don’t. I’m saying the Baptists can’t read a Bible. They are hypocrites and I’d say “How can you remove the splinter from your brothers eye and ignore the beam in your own?” I’m not always certain of Jesus’s nature or of heaven’s existence. but moments like this I truly hope he’s God so I can watch him say to these people “truly I do not know you.”

I also wonder how many of the members are divorced, something Jesus was very strongly against. or cheating on their wives. Another thing Jesus truly hated.
How are Baptists an extreme example?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

This example stands out on a national front.

You have spin off branches such as that which the Duggar’s follow-dancing is sinful as is drinking alcohol-let’s not forget it was Jesus who turned water into
Wine at a wedding.

The Jehovahs Witnesses are another example of extremism in religion.

Then you have the Catholics who take a vow of poverty yet have amassed a fortune in property over the centuries.

Alas at the end of the day-regardless of your religious affiliation we shall all be dead. If you’re a Christian you believe there will be a day of reckoning…and guess what, it’s not coming from your priest, your pastor or a contract you signed condemning a fellow man…

There are extremes in every branch of life-religious, political, educationally—everywhere.

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:57 pm

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yeah, my husband signed one with the LDS church when he was 8....8...at the behest of his mother and the mormon missionaries still keep tabs on our family and stop by every couple of weeks. It's a nightmare to get them to stop. We tried getting his records expunged through the local church...they can't do it because he never attended church here....so he would have to go through the church he was baptized at.....that church has moved, so he can't do it there....so he has to go to Temple in Salt Lake to do it....etc.etc.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:12 pm This example stands out on a national front.

You have spin off branches such as that which the Duggar’s follow-dancing is sinful as is drinking alcohol-let’s not forget it was Jesus who turned water into
Wine at a wedding.

The Jehovahs Witnesses are another example of extremism in religion.

Then you have the Catholics who take a vow of poverty yet have amassed a fortune in property over the centuries.

Alas at the end of the day-regardless of your religious affiliation we shall all be dead. If you’re a Christian you believe there will be a day of reckoning…and guess what, it’s not coming from your priest, your pastor or a contract you signed condemning a fellow man…

There are extremes in every branch of life-religious, political, educationally—everywhere.

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:57 pm

Like these people? https://news.gallup.com/opinion/polling ... today.aspx
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:24 pm

Yeah, my husband signed one with the LDS church when he was 8....8...at the behest of his mother and the mormon missionaries still keep tabs on our family and stop by every couple of weeks. It's a nightmare to get them to stop. We tried getting his records expunged through the local church...they can't do it because we never attended church here....so he would have to go through the church he was baptized at.....that church has moved, so he can't do it there....so he has to go to Temple in Salt Lake to do it....etc.etc.
That does sound like a nightmare. I didn’t know some churches require these contracts until recently listening to an interview of Rachael Denhollander.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They should have to guarantee that what they are teaching is true.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:40 am people are "either male or female
Are angels not individual thinking beings, as much "people" as humans are?
Locked Previous topicNext topic