Conroe brewery pulls out as venue for Kyle Rittenhouse rally against censorship

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:49 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:40 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:36 am

This was based on political beliefs, which encompass certain categories of people.

Granted… in no way am I saying this was illegal. I’m acknowledging that it is fully legal… but it’s a method of discrimination that America has deemed to be ok. As is gender discrimination, marriage discrimination, medical choice discrimination … they’re all allowed.
I suppose you'd have to show me that this was due to conservative beliefs in general and not just this specific repellant little twerp for me to agree with you.
It really seems to infuriate you when anyone has the nerve to protect themselves. LOL
Yes leaving your home to cross state lines to "defend" shit that's not even yours then get glorified as some sort of freedom fighter after murdering two people, only to whine whenever he doesn't get his own way kind of offends me.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Rittenhouse should have been convicted and forced to spend a long time in prison for murdering people. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:06 am
jessilin0113 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:40 am

I suppose you'd have to show me that this was due to conservative beliefs in general and not just this specific repellant little twerp for me to agree with you.
It really seems to infuriate you when anyone has the nerve to protect themselves. LOL
Yes leaving your home to cross state lines to "defend" shit that's not even yours then get glorified as some sort of freedom fighter after murdering two people, only to whine whenever he doesn't get his own way kind of offends me.
He went to his Aunt’s neighborhood that was only a few miles from his house.

He didn’t belong there because he was a kid, but he was found not guilty, so it kind of brings up a new question of whether or not people can be discriminated against for going on trial.

If we are a country that values “ innocent until proven guilty” and someone was not proven guilty, discrimination against them is an interesting subject…
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:05 pm

He didn’t belong there because he was a kid, but he was found not guilty, so it kind of brings up a new question of whether or not people can be discriminated against for going on trial.

If we are a country that values “ innocent until proven guilty” and someone was not proven guilty, discrimination against them is an interesting subject…
If he took his not guilty verdict and lived a quiet life I wouldn't give two shits about him but because he's trying to capitalize off of it and gets treated like some sort of hero, that's where I have a problem.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 pm

If he took his not guilty verdict and lived a quiet life I wouldn't give two shits about him but because he's trying to capitalize off of it and gets treated like some sort of hero, that's where I have a problem.
There’s no reason he would have to go away and live a quiet life. He was found not guilty.

If we have now decided that we aren’t going to stand behind our own justice system that declares people to be innocent until proven guilty, we are opening up the door for so many more instances of discrimination that we will not be ok with seeing, but will have to accept since we set the bar.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:13 pm

There’s no reason he would have to go away and live a quiet life. He was found not guilty.

If we have now decided that we aren’t going to stand behind our own justice system that declares people to be innocent until proven guilty, we are opening up the door for so many more instances of discrimination that we will not be ok with seeing, but will have to accept since we set the bar.
Correct, there is no reason for him to go away but I'm allowed to not like him. And I still disagree it's discrimination. He's not a protected class, businesses have the right to decide what kind of public relations they want to have, he's not entitled to a platform, the government isn't stopping him from speaking so it's not actually a free speech or censorship issue. It's called consequences. He can simply find somewhere else. I'm sure there is no shortage of right-wing establishments that would love to have him. Airing petty grievances is kind of their thing.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:22 pm

Correct, there is no reason for him to go away but I'm allowed to not like him. And I still disagree it's discrimination. He's not a protected class, businesses have the right to decide what kind of public relations they want to have, he's not entitled to a platform, the government isn't stopping him from speaking so it's not actually a free speech or censorship issue. It's called consequences. He can simply find somewhere else. I'm sure there is no shortage of right-wing establishments that would love to have him. Airing petty grievances is kind of their thing.
That’s right… he’s not a “protected class” so discrimination is fully legal.

Someday though… those words are going to be hard to hear when we see others being discriminated against as well for reasons we don’t believe are valid .
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Being acquitted/found not guilty means the government isn’t going to sanction or imprison someone. It doesn’t mean everyone else has to be cool with what he did and not find his actions abhorrent.

Let’s pretend a guy beats up his girlfriend. She tells the police it was him and there are photos of her injuries but he’s acquitted because she’s too scared to testify against him at trial. It’s might be fair that the available evidence wasn’t strong enough in court to meet the standard for a guilty verdict. It’s also fair for people he knows to think he’s a piece of shit despite being found not guilty and to no longer want to associate with him.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:33 pm

Being acquitted/found not guilty means the government isn’t going to sanction or imprison someone. It doesn’t mean everyone else has to be cool with what he did and not find his actions abhorrent.

If a guy beats up his girlfriend and there are photos of her injured but he’s acquitted because she’s too scared to testify against him at trial, it’s fair that the burden of evidence wasn’t met him court to meet the standard for a guilty verdict. It’s also fair for people he knows to think he’s a piece of shit and no longer want to associate with him.
No, it doesn’t mean anyone has to like him…

But it’s a pretty pivotal question in our society if we are going to decide that discrimination in these cases is ok…

According to the google search I just did, the ACLU wrote There are many states that are now making discrimination against convicted felons illegal in many instances because of the detrimental effect those discrimination allowances were affecting people of color.

If we all now decide that we can discriminate against not guilty people too, what kind of ripple effect could that have through our society?

Will that allow for more instances of discrimination that we might be uneasy with?
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:38 pm
Francee89 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:33 pm

If a guy beats up his girlfriend and there are photos of her injured but he’s acquitted because she’s too scared to testify against him at trial, it’s fair that the burden of evidence wasn’t met him court to meet the standard for a guilty verdict. It’s also fair for people he knows to think he’s a piece of shit and no longer want to associate with him.
No, it doesn’t mean anyone has to like him…

But it’s a pretty pivotal question in our society if we are going to decide that discrimination in these cases is ok…

According to the google search I just did, the ACLU wrote There are many states that are now making discrimination against convicted felons illegal in many instances because of the detrimental effect those discrimination allowances were affecting people of color.

If we all now decide that we can discriminate against not guilty people too, what kind of ripple effect could that have through our society?

Will that allow for more instances of discrimination that we might be uneasy with?
I don’t think this is a new development or unique at all to Rittenhouse. OJ Simpson was acquitted of murder but never got his endorsements back, for example.
Locked Previous topicNext topic