What does this quote make you think? Agree or disagree?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:30 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:57 pm Actually… it’s going the opposite way to what you’re saying.

Gun ownership in America has gone massively down… it used to be half of Americans owned guns, now it’s about a quarter - 30% , and we are becoming a more and more dangerous country by the day.

We are seeing more mass murderers, and less firearm ownership.

If we’re going to compare the statistics, the more gun ownership declines =|= the more often people are made into victims.

SallyMae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:20 pm

It's not working. Massively arming the population for personal defense is resulting in many, many more deaths.

This is just the mass shootings in November:

Nov. 1: In East St. Louis, Illinois, two people were killed and three were wounded when a fight broke out after an argument.

In Baltimore, three adults and a teenager were wounded in a nighttime shooting.

In Denver, one person was killed and five were wounded in a drive-by shooting.

Nov. 2: In Hattiesburg, Mississippi, two people were killed and three were wounded in a shooting downtown.

Nov. 4: In Chicago, four men were wounded in a shooting on the street in the city's Humboldt Park neighborhood.

In Orlando, a 23-year-old man shot and killed a four-year-old girl and three women.

In La Plata, Maryland, four people were shot dead in a house.

Nov. 5: In Gainesville, Florida, five people were shot and wounded outside a grocery store.

In Philadelphia, nine people were shot and wounded while they stood outside a bar in the city's Kensington neighborhood.

Nov. 6: In Buffalo, four people were wounded in a mass shooting inside what police called a "party venue."

In Jordan Township, Pennsylvania, three people were killed by the same gunman in two separate locations.

In Chicago, one person was killed and three were wounded in a shootout with a security guard outside a nightclub.

In a second Chicago shooting, five people were wounded at a birthday party on the city's Southwest Side.

In Tulare, California, five people were shot and wounded during an argument after a drag race. 

Nov. 7: In McAllen, Texas, a man shot and wounded four of his neighbors during a dispute over a palm tree.

Nov. 11: In Jersey City, New Jersey, four people were wounded in a shooting on the street.

Nov. 12: In Indio, California, one person was killed and three wounded in a shooting on the street.

In Fort Worth, Texas, four people were shot and wounded in an apartment complex.

Nov. 13: In Enfield, North Carolina, one adult was shot and killed, and five adults were wounded along with a teenager at an outdoor bonfire.

In Omaha, Nebraska, one person was shot dead, and seven others were wounded at an early morning gathering on the street.

In Philadelphia, four people were shot and wounded during an argument at a nightclub.

In Memphis, four people were shot and wounded outside a high school.

In Charlottesville, at the University of Virginia, a man shot and killed three students and wounded two others after a school bus trip off campus.

Nov. 16: In Phoenix, a man shot and killed his wife and three children and then killed himself.

Nov. 17: In Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico, three Customs and Border Protection agents were shot, one fatally, along with a suspected drug smuggler.

Nov. 18: In Chesterfield County, Virginia, a woman and her three children were shot and killed in what police called a "domestic dispute."

Nov. 19: In Colorado Springs, a gunman with an AR-15 style rifle shot and killed five people and wounded 25 others inside Club Q, a gay bar and nightclub.

Nov. 20: In Philadelphia, Mississippi, one man was shot and killed, and six others were wounded during a dice game on a farm.

In Dallas, four people were wounded during an argument outside a pool hall.

Nov. 22: In Chesapeake, Virginia, a night manager at a Walmart killed seven people and wounded six others before killing himself inside the store.

Nov. 23: In Philadelphia, four high school students were shot outside their school just after early dismissal for Thanksgiving in a drive-by shooting.

n Temple Hills, Maryland, four teenagers and one adult were wounded in an unexplained shooting.

Nov. 24: In Houston, a man walked into a home while people were having Thanksgiving dinner, shot two people dead and wounded two others. 

And that's just through Thanksgiving. Arming people for defense does not make them safer. This is not lessening the amount of victims there are. It creates more.
It's rising, especially with women and even more so with black women.
What is rising? Gun ownership?
No, it isn’t, it’s declining.

If gun ownership amongst black women is rising, then great… but that would be a different statistic than gun ownership overall in America.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:40 pm
Carpy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:33 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:25 pm

Why would she automatically be a fool? What if she’s a plain clothed cop? What if she’s a detective? What if she works as a bodyguard?
The person with an open gun will be the top target in a mass shooting. The element of surprise increase the chance of being disarmed. The armed person should always maintain the element of surprise.
Walk tall & softly and carry a quiet stick.
You should be out helping search for Samson.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:41 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:25 pm

Why would she automatically be a fool? What if she’s a plain clothed cop? What if she’s a detective? What if she works as a bodyguard?
The person with an open gun will be the top target in a mass shooting. The element of surprise increase the chance of being disarmed. The armed person should always maintain the element of surprise.
We weren’t talking about a mass shooting, we were talking about a petty thief trying to steal a purse.
And you set up a scenario, I stated why open carry is foolish.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:45 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:57 pm Actually… it’s going the opposite way to what you’re saying.

Gun ownership in America has gone massively down… it used to be half of Americans owned guns, now it’s about a quarter - 30% , and we are becoming a more and more dangerous country by the day.

We are seeing more mass murderers, and less firearm ownership.

If we’re going to compare the statistics, the more gun ownership declines =|= the more often people are made into victims.

If gun ownership amongst black women is rising, then great… but that would be a different statistic than gun ownership overall in America.
“The National Shooting Sports Foundation® (NSSF®), the firearm industry trade association, revealed that at least 5.4 million people purchased a firearm for the first time in 2021. Nearly 30 percent of all firearm purchases last year went to new gun owners, based on NSSF’s retailer surveys and adjusted National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background checks.“

https://www.nssf.org/articles/nssf-reta ... s-in-2021/

“Gallup has tracked both metrics of gun ownership annually since 2007, showing no clear increase or decrease in gun ownership over that time.”

https://news.gallup.com/poll/264932/per ... -guns.aspx
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:08 pm

We weren’t talking about a mass shooting, we were talking about a petty thief trying to steal a purse.
Lol no… you took a theft scenario , turned it into a mass shooter scenario and are now trying to say everyone who open carrys is a fool, regardless of their position, job or why they might be carrying openly.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:14 pm

Lol no… you took a theft scenario , turned it into a mass shooter scenario and are now trying to say everyone who open carrys is a fool, regardless of their position, job or why they might be carrying openly.
I'm sorry, I missed you briefing on her life history. I simple stated if her gun was visible, she is a fool. I stand by that.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:11 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:45 pm

“The National Shooting Sports Foundation® (NSSF®), the firearm industry trade association, revealed that at least 5.4 million people purchased a firearm for the first time in 2021. Nearly 30 percent of all firearm purchases last year went to new gun owners, based on NSSF’s retailer surveys and adjusted National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background checks.“

https://www.nssf.org/articles/nssf-reta ... s-in-2021/

“Gallup has tracked both metrics of gun ownership annually since 2007, showing no clear increase or decrease in gun ownership over that time.”

https://news.gallup.com/poll/264932/per ... -guns.aspx
Ok… now look up gun ownership rates in the 1950’s vs today.

According to Gallup polls, in 1993 51% of homes had a gun in it,
By the time we get to 1999, that number is down to 34%.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/179213/six ... safer.aspx
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:20 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:14 pm

I'm sorry, I missed you briefing on her life history. I simple stated if her gun was visible, she is a fool. I stand by that.
Did you not want to answer the actual question?

Weird spin.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:59 pm

Most murderers are the lovers.

Should that make them more comfortable to kill?
Learning to make your family and friends fear you doesn’t make sense. The best way to not be a victim is to insist no guns in the house. There will still be domestic violence but not nearly as much.
That has got to be the stupidest most asinine statement I’ve ever seen. There won’t be as much domestic violence without guns? Really? I guess beatings don’t matter. SMH

What about the woman in NY who was beaten by her ex and the next day he shot her because apparently beating her wasn’t enough to hold him on. I guess we can say he wasn’t scared by being arrested or jail.
I meant to say not as many murders because of domestic issues. Excuse my mistake. A sad anecdote does not change the well known facts that firearms in the home put women and children at risk for murder by gun. Men can be victims too.

States with weak gun laws see higher rates of female gun homicide
Age-adjusted female gun homicide rates per 100,000 people

Bar graph depicting states on the x-axis from left to right, from best gun laws to worst gun laws based on Giffords Law Center's 2020 Annual Gun Law Scorecard. The y-axis depicts gun homicide rates from 0 to 4.5 homicides per every 100,000 people.

The states with the least amount of cases of female gun homicides per every 100,000 people are:

California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Hawaii , Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts , New York, Rhode Island

The states with the most amount of cases of female gun homicides per 100,000 people are:

Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana , Missouri, Kentucky, Arizona, Arkansas.

https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... -violence/

The correlation between strong gun laws and fewer domestic murders by gun are undisputed. Women who live with a gun in the house are five times more likely to die from domestic violence. Studies consistently show the same outcomes.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:39 pm Does it not?

If you were a criminal waiting around a corner to steal a purse, you see two women, one to the left and one to the right…one of them is wearing a sidearm and the other is not, which woman would you chose to grab the purse from?

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:33 pm In sexual assault cases, gait, posture, eye contact ( sweeping surroundings) usually does. In crimes of opportunity, no.
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm

How do you think the criminal chooses his potential victim ? Do you think the potential victim’s ability to fight back factors into the criminal’s choice of target?
If I was an armed criminal willing to kill for a purse, I'd shoot the woman with the visible sidearm and take the purse rather than asking for it at gunpoint.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic