I just found out my maternity leave is denied

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I was supposed to be able to get maternity leave via short term disability but the claim was denied because I ended up being pregnant before my coverage started although I didn't even know at the time. I'm freaking out because my baby is only a few days old and now i have to figure out someone to watch a tiny young baby and go back to work or just not recieve a paycheck.

No it isn't illegal. It's a small business so FMLA is not an option plus I haven't been there long enough to qualify even if they did have it as an option. My bosses say they will hold my job indefinitely but they can not afford to pay me on top of the replacement they already hired. Also this was not a planned pregnancy my birth control failed due to no fault of my own.

I'm scared and freaking out. I can't physically work at this point. My husband works but his hours have steadily been cut over the last few months. Which means he can watch the baby but only when I'm physically ready. I'm worried that we will be homeless. We had a lot of money in savings before covid which was used for an emergency situation/ medical bills. Friends and family helped too so asking for more money from them is not an option.

I hate my life, I hate myself, I hate my work even though it isn't really their fault. They are just as surprised as I am that I got denied. The company is only 5 years old and I'm the first pregnant woman they had where they had to deal with maternity leave. FML
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I’m so very sorry you have to deal with this!

First, if you get into a position where you need the help you can apply for Food stamps, and cash assistance. This is what those programs are there for.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Sorry for this.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Do you qualify for temporary unemployment in your state?

I am so sorry. That must be super frightening for you. As some else mentioned, call social services and see what programs you qualify for - CHIP, EBT, etc.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do you have any family or friends that can watch the baby?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Maternity leave really sucks in the US. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m so very sorry you are dealing with this!

Maternity leave in the US is an absolute freaking joke. I’m currently trying to figure it out myself.
Do you have any type of PTO time you can use?
That’s what I’m planning on using to get at least something during my leave, though obviously it’ll be for a very limited amount of time.

Since you’ll have no income I suggest applying for any and all assistance!

Good luck with everything and congrats on the baby!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It's a preexisting condition?
Locked Previous topicNext topic