Rep. Lauren Boebert said humanity is in its 'last days' and Christians should 'rise up,' invoking Christian nationalist

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:15 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:10 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Just war says if it’s in defense it’s just. That means the aggressor is never just.
Technically that’s not true.

The Bible says that land held by your ancestors is yours and can be fought over with God being on your side.
The land Putin is fighting over was a part of Russia at one point, and his church leader translated the Bible to mean he is righteous in taking it back. The way to take it back is biblically , validated with violence and death.
Interesting. Putin wants the Soviet Union back. Anything that helps he’ll use. He’s not religious.

It reminds of a debate I saw once between Israelis and Palestinians with Israel using that argument. Palestinians said they didn’t realize God was a real estate agent. But they go way back claiming they were there first. African countries are still constantly changing borders, most recently adding South Sudan as a new country. A lot of people destroyed over these land fights. So stupid
God's totally a real estate agent in the bible.
He even expects payment to keep your lands.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:40 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:34 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:10 pm

Technically that’s not true.

The Bible says that land held by your ancestors is yours and can be fought over with God being on your side.
The land Putin is fighting over was a part of Russia at one point, and his church leader translated the Bible to mean he is righteous in taking it back. The way to take it back is biblically , validated with violence and death.
Does that include land taken by colonialism and/or conquest where the people of that land are ethnically and religiously different from the conquering territory?
If they're religiously different , there's scripture to support the notion that they're supposed to take it over.
So biblically, Russia would be justified in taking over any land it once held and any land whose peoples are not Christian?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:51 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:34 pm

Does that include land taken by colonialism and/or conquest where the people of that land are ethnically and religiously different from the conquering territory?
If they're religiously different , there's scripture to support the notion that they're supposed to take it over.
So biblically, Russia would be justified in taking over any land it once held and any land whose peoples are not Christian?
Yep.
Russia, England, France, any Christian nation really.

That’s why they all did it.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I was asking to clarify what you hadn’t read. Tbh, aside from a few who have stated their religions, I don’t really contemplate or assume so wanted to make sure I wasn’t misunderstanding.

I’ve read it multiple times cover to cover. Parts are nothing more than history and out of those parts some has been confirmed, not necessarily how it’s depicted but that certain conflicts occurred with certain outcomes. I have a plethora of reasons for not being Christian and it’s not based on not knowing or understanding the religion.
Lemons wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:55 pm Weren’t those quotes bob put up from the Bible?
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:35 pm The Bible?
Lemons wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:32 pm So much murder destruction violence ugliness. I’ve never read it but I never thought it was that bad.

Between Muslims using their holy book to murder and destroy and Christians using their holy book to try and force people to follow their beliefs, it’s too bad these books aren’t the one banned.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t recall that from the Bible. I do recall scripture in which David had asked God about the famine and God had told him it was as judgement on Saul for the extermination of the Gibeonites.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:44 pm Genocide is supported in the Bible depending on the sins of those you’re going to attack. Not just supported, but punished for by not committing fully…

The reason King Saul was punished by God and stripped of his kingdom is because he didn’t fully commit genocide on the next door neighbor.

Even Jesus Christ said he didn’t come to bring peace, but to bring a sword, cutting apart the believers and punishing non believers…

“ Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”
And what is Jesus? Life.
Lemons wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:32 pm So much murder destruction violence ugliness. I’ve never read it but I never thought it was that bad.

Between Muslims using their holy book to murder and destroy and Christians using their holy book to try and force people to follow their beliefs, it’s too bad these books aren’t the one banned.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 pm

Yep.

Yes. It's yet another similarity between the Bible and the Koran.

It sounds like justification for empire building, nothing more.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

👆 And thus why I've never taken the bible literally.

There are some inspirational passages and there are some stories that would make Rob Zombie look like Mister Rogers.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

When Saul failed to wipe out the Amalekites.
Book of Samuel.
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:27 pm I don’t recall that from the Bible. I do recall scripture in which David had asked God about the famine and God had told him it was as judgement on Saul for the extermination of the Gibeonites.

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:44 pm Genocide is supported in the Bible depending on the sins of those you’re going to attack. Not just supported, but punished for by not committing fully…

The reason King Saul was punished by God and stripped of his kingdom is because he didn’t fully commit genocide on the next door neighbor.

Even Jesus Christ said he didn’t come to bring peace, but to bring a sword, cutting apart the believers and punishing non believers…

“ Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.”
And what is Jesus? Life.

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:22 pm

Yep.

The Bible is actually more violent than the Koran if you go by death toll.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:05 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:22 pm

Yep.

The Bible is actually more violent than the Koran if you go by death toll.
Oh I know. I've read both. Nations, most recently Russia, use the Bible as justification for war but fail to take into account St. Augustine's or St. Thomas Aquinas's Just War Theory. It's one of the issues I have with purely Bible based Christianity, and getting back to the OP, one of the reasons Christian Nationalists scare the bejeesus out of me. Atrocities can be justified by the Bible as long as you look hard enough and ignore everything else.
Locked Previous topicNext topic