Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Jay-din
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:34 am
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:27 am You pronounce names in whatever way the person chooses to be addressed.
And to hell with the English language then? Okie dokie!
You think Jadyn should be pronounced jad-in... With a short A sound like the word at?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:19 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:27 am You pronounce names in whatever way the person chooses to be addressed.
You think Jadyn should be pronounced jad-in... With a short A sound like the word at?
Yes. Jad. Rhymes with had, sad, mad etc. And this orientation meeting is getting more ridiculous because there is another girl here and her name tag says Jammie yet she introduced herself pronounced as Jamie. WTF
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Yes. Jad. Rhymes with had, sad, mad etc. And this orientation meeting is getting more ridiculous because there is another girl here and her name tag says Jammie yet she introduced herself pronounced as Jamie. WTF
I don't understand why you would think that it was jad.... But it's a British name and you're right the English language sucks
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Same as the other ladies.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:09 am Jadyn.

Jay-din or Jad-in?

This lady in the parent group in my sons university kept calling her DD Jay-din but the name is clearly phonetically spelled Jad-in. No??
Jay-din. That's how I read it, that's how the mother pronounces it. What you think/feel is irrelevant.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I literally had someone tell me the way my ex spelled his surname was wrong. Thought it should be with a French spelling when my ex was Polish. I’m like well I think he’d know better than you. So yes just say it the way someone wants you to annoying to you or not. What’s the difference? Not like English follows clear cut and logical rules anyhow.🤣
I’ve always pronounced it Jay-din
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:49 pm
I literally had someone tell me the way my ex spelled his surname was wrong. Thought it should be with a French spelling when my ex was Polish. I’m like well I think he’d know better than you. So yes just say it the way someone wants you to annoying to you or not. What’s the difference? Not like English follows clear cut and logical rules anyhow.🤣
I’ve always pronounced it Jay-din
Totally agree. I have a very easy to say name and have been told I say it wrong - because I have a different dialect and use a different vowel sound than the person commenting. Using a person's preferred name pronunciation is about good manners, not asserting your own ideas about language.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:09 am Jadyn.

Jay-din or Jad-in?

This lady in the parent group in my sons university kept calling her DD Jay-din but the name is clearly phonetically spelled Jad-in. No??
No. Vowel (in this case "A") followed by a single consonant - vowel - consonant would be long. Vowel followed by a double consonant - vowel- consonant, as in sadden, madden, etc. would be short.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:23 pm

I honestly believe you’re just being ridiculous, but the fact that you say you believe that someone named their child Jam-me made me laugh.
Locked Previous topicNext topic