With 2 weeks left of summer the district just announced that there will be no bus service

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have no idea what I'm going to do. They don't have the funding for the busses. There will only be bus service for those with special needs that the are legally required to accommodate. My kids do not fall into that category.

I now have a week to scramble to find a way to get mjy kids to school. Driving them myself isn't an option. I can always pick them up but not get them there. I've tried setting up some car pooling or something but no one wants to do it with me so far. There is no before school stuff opened early enough for me to drop them off before I have to go to work. The campus is closed that early. Walking isn't a viable option as it would take hours and it would be very unsafe (11 miles one way mostly with no side walks along busy roads).

I am panicking. I have reached out to the school and they were not able to give me any advice except to find someone to car pool with. I will continue trying every day but so far no luck. I have even offered to pay someone to just drive them and I have no takers for that either. The school did say they can always do the classes online if that works better. It doesn't work better and my oldest really struggled with it. Plus they would be home hours a day having to do their online schooling by themselves.

I feel so angry. I wish I knew with more time left.... Maybe it would have been easier to find something. I just can't believe I am actually so screwed at this point. If I didn't need my job I would just quit and make sure the kids get to school. I just don't know what to do besides keep trying to find someone but it seems impossible now.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am sorry.

I have been in a similar situation, with summer school for my middle son, and it sucks.

We may not have bus service this year either, because I missed the registration deadline (*ahem, which is my fault, although the company never actually reminded or clearly communicated when the deadline was). But I am fortunate, that although inconvenient, I can arrange my schedule accordingly.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I had that issue with my SD before. Thankfully, there are small businesses in the area that offer drop off/pick up services.

I am sorry, it really does suck.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They did the same here. They expect Kindergartners to walk 2 miles to school. And they will. When they cut it years ago I used to walk to work and see 5 year olds walking alone, crossing busy roads. It's ridiculous.

If you truly have no options to get them there they'll have to do virtual school.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I had the same issue. Our district has funds, but can't find drivers so anyone that is within 1 mile as the crow flies had no service. We are 2 houses inside even though it's 2.5 miles away from the school and the roads are busy with no sidewalks. I was lucky enough to find a couple cheer moms who could take/pickup and then I drove them all to cheer practice.

It definitely puts parents in a HUGE bind.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m sorry. That truly does suck.
A lot of districts, including mine, are scrambling to find bus drivers.
If there is no school bus service, there may be an influx of small private bus services. Definitely be on the lookout for that.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’m sorry this is happening to you.

Since you are willing to pay someone to drive them to school, can you arrange for an Uber to take them? You can pick them up, so the cost would be one way for two weeks.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:32 am I’m sorry this is happening to you.

Since you are willing to pay someone to drive them to school, can you arrange for an Uber to take them? You can pick them up, so the cost would be one way for two weeks.
I don’t think Uber will take an unaccompanied minor although I could be wrong. I would ask another mom who lived nearby if she could watch the kids until school starts and bring them with her own. Offer to pay for her time and I bet someone will. I’d start with the kid’s friend’s parents or put it on the next door neighbor app.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

OP said so far no one wanted to carpool and that she offered to pay someone and so far no takers. I don’t know about Uber age minimum policy, so you maybe right. Next door App is a good idea.

Pjmm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:57 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:32 am I’m sorry this is happening to you.

I don’t think Uber will take an unaccompanied minor although I could be wrong. I would ask another mom who lived nearby if she could watch the kids until school starts and bring them with her own. Offer to pay for her time and I bet someone will. I’d start with the kid’s friend’s parents or put it on the next door neighbor app.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Do you have a local YMCA? If so look and see if they offer BASE alternately depending on the childrens age look into a morning day care option. Good luck!
Locked Previous topicNext topic