I took the damn dog back to the shelter

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My DD just turned 18 and she decided it would be best to go out and adopt a dog. Now I am not against adoption at all but we are renting right now and there are no pets allowed at all.

Just her having the dog in the house can get us evicted.

She didnt know this before she got the dog but when she brought him home I told him she needed to take him back. She said no, I explained the situation and she said she would just hide him. I told her NO! It isnt fair for a dog to be hidden and while she thought she was doing a good thing for the dog you cant just go get a pet and not talk to everyone living in the house. If she had talked to us she would have known we couldnt have a dog.

She said she was keeping the dog and I had no control over it. I told her she could either move out and get her own place with the dog that is pet friendly or he needed to go.

She said it no so I put the dog in my car and took him back to the pound. He is a sweet dog and if we were in a different situation I would love to have a dog but we cant now.

The people at the pound tried to give me a hard time at first. I explained the situation and said that they should have checked to make sure that it was okay for the dog to be going home with my DD in the first place. Every other place in the area requires a written okay from a landlord

DD hates me now but oh well. No dog is worth risking where we live
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Wow…okay.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Hmm…I’m surprised…when we adopted we had to prove ownership of our home or have a letter from a landlord if we were renting. I find it incredible that a shelter would just release an animal with zero overshight.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Why do you recycle troll posts?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Heyteacher wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:35 pm Hmm…I’m surprised…when we adopted we had to prove ownership of our home or have a letter from a landlord if we were renting. I find it incredible that a shelter would just release an animal with zero overshight.
I thought that was the norm. They seem over run and just want to adopt the animals out.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How does she not know you can’t have pets? My kids knew their dad could only have reptiles and fish. He TOLD them that. They knew at ten and eight years old. I mean this never comes up in conversation? And I agree with heyteacher. In my day I had to provide proof of ownership to adopt my dog. They even wanted to know if my yard was fenced or not.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm surprised any shelter adopted out to an 18 year old without checking on residency and parents. Yes, 18 is technically an adult but a hell of a lot of 18 year olds are still in high school and still living with their parents. I would think any shelter would check it all out before just handing a dog to an 18 year old.

When we adopted we used a private non-profit agency. They didn't check our documentation of home ownership but they did come out and do a home visit. Home visit is standard policy for this agency so they can see where the dog will be living and see for themselves if it seems like a good fit for that particular dog. She also met with all of us, myself, DH and our two kids, to get to know us and what we were looking for to help find the right dog. She knew the environment we were offering for the dog before she let us sign the adoption papers.

If that shelter didn't like you bringing the dog back, they only have themselves to blame for pushing dogs out the door without doing any due diligence.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. What kind of shelter is so irresponsible regarding pet adoption? And while an 18 year old is legally and adult, there is something called common sense and many, if not most, 18 year olds are far from acting like adults. You just don’t hand a dog to an 18 year old without knowing their living situation. And if they did, well that’s their problem.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:25 pm I'm surprised any shelter adopted out to an 18 year old without checking on residency and parents. Yes, 18 is technically an adult but a hell of a lot of 18 year olds are still in high school and still living with their parents. I would think any shelter would check it all out before just handing a dog to an 18 year old.

When we adopted we used a private non-profit agency. They didn't check our documentation of home ownership but they did come out and do a home visit. Home visit is standard policy for this agency so they can see where the dog will be living and see for themselves if it seems like a good fit for that particular dog. She also met with all of us, myself, DH and our two kids, to get to know us and what we were looking for to help find the right dog. She knew the environment we were offering for the dog before she let us sign the adoption papers.

If that shelter didn't like you bringing the dog back, they only have themselves to blame for pushing dogs out the door without doing any due diligence.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic