New York governor declares monkeypox a 'disaster emergency'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:32 pm Lexy are you in NY?

That’s absolutely crazy, first covid, now this. Is there any ideas why NY is having these stats? Public transportation? High incoming international flights? Dense population?
Scroll down for a breakdown of confirmed cases

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/data/heal ... eypox.page
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:30 am

That’s absolutely crazy, first covid, now this. Is there any ideas why NY is having these stats? Public transportation? High incoming international flights? Dense population?

That’s interesting regarding age. I’m a little surprised that it’s highest in the 30-39 range. One would think it would be in the younger ranges. While this is showing 3 women, even IF hypothetically the transgender/non binary and unknown were all biologically born female, there’s a big gap pertaining to gender, even sexual orientation, which again makes me surprised at the age range stats. I’ll probably go down a rabbit hole later, because I’m curious what the global numbers show and if anyone has researched genetics/gender aspects. I still think genetics play a huge role with some of the variants of COVID.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:44 am

That’s interesting regarding age. I’m a little surprised that it’s highest in the 30-39 range. One would think it would be in the younger ranges. While this is showing 3 women, even IF hypothetically the transgender/non binary and unknown were all biologically born female, there’s a big gap pertaining to gender, even sexual orientation, which again makes me surprised at the age range stats. I’ll probably go down a rabbit hole later, because I’m curious what the global numbers show and if anyone has researched genetics/gender aspects. I still think genetics play a huge role with some of the variants of COVID.
Damn that’s a good point. I never thought about that.

So…people are saying it’s mostly men, but I never thought about the possibility does that the numbers could include transgender men who are biologically female.

Interesting rabbit hole. 🤔
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:02 am

So…people are saying it’s mostly men, but I never thought about the possibility does that the numbers could include transgender men who are biologically female.

With the ways it’s transmitted, it’s illogical that there’s such a huge gap between genders.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:52 am

With the ways it’s transmitted, it’s illogical that there’s such a huge gap between genders.
I can't seem to find data on it but I'm not great at researching. I wonder if there is such a wide gender gap in Central African countries where Monkeypox is endemic?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:56 am

I can't seem to find data on it but I'm not great at researching. I wonder if there is such a wide gender gap in Central African countries where Monkeypox is endemic?
Lexy posted a link to the NYC data a few replies up. That’s what I’m curious about, if global trends as well as the trends in certain countries such as in central Africa and the Congo, show the same gaps.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I agree. It seems odd to me too.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:03 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:56 am

Lexy posted a link to the NYC data a few replies up. That’s what I’m curious about, if global trends as well as the trends in certain countries such as in central Africa and the Congo, show the same gaps.
I found this Lancet article https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 6/fulltext - and while doesn't specifically give demographics of those who contracted Monkeypox, I found it interesting that the last time there was an outbreak of Monkeypox in the US, it was zoonotic (infections came from imported prairie dogs) and was contained to family groups.

Could the discrepancy in transmission rates between men and women in the US simply be the initial source of transmission (travel) and whomever was patient zero? Also thinking that once infected, it can take 2-3 weeks before exhibiting symptoms so while currently it "seems" to be mainly in the male gay population, we should expect that to change in the next few weeks?

I am surprised that we haven't seen infection of healthcare workers and hospitality workers. Saw a tiktoc video of a woman who contracted Monkeypox early on and continually told by healthcare workers that it was an allergic reaction. I wonder if there is under reporting of cases, particularly cases involving women?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It makes no sense that they are claiming you can get it by touching someone or breathing on someone. If that were the case then it wouldn’t be just all men. The subways, bars, workplaces, hot humid crowded sidewalks. There’s a lot of breathing in people’s faces and standing or sitting arm to arm.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:42 pm

It makes no sense that they are claiming you can get it by touching someone or breathing on someone. If that were the case then it wouldn’t be just all men. The subways, bars, workplaces, hot humid crowded sidewalks. There’s a lot of breathing in people’s faces and standing or sitting arm to arm.
Same stats in California

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DC ... eypox.aspx
Locked Previous topicNext topic