Anyone in or from Arizona? I have a question

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Your interactions while shopping, have they been with younger people? Because I tend to think that the rude cashier thing is more of a generational thing than a regional thing. I could be totally wrong. I was a cashier when I was a teen, but back then we were taught as cashiers to smile, be polite, say "have a nice day" etc. Even if we weren't feeling it we were supposed to do it. It seems like these days they don't teach that to cashiers anymore. Part of why I always go for self-checkout when I can.

On the flip side of that, whenever I go to Dutch Bros. for coffee, regardless of who is serving, they are always super friendly and making small talk while you wait. I'm certain they are trained to do so because there is no way otherwise that all your employees are that chipper all the time. So yeah, it might be fake, but I'll tell you what it still puts a smile on my face every time I go there. More businesses should teach their customer-facing employees how to be like that.

I'm on the western border of Arizona. I've been here for 7 years. Before that I lived in MN and before that Northern CA. I don't notice a huge difference between any of them. Even with "MN nice" there were nice people and there were rude people. Here there are nice people and there are rude people. Sometimes I think just societal trend is trending away from 'always be kind' and towards 'always be your true self even your true self today is raging bitch'.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I think the issue is too many California transplants.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:33 pm Your interactions while shopping, have they been with younger people? Because I tend to think that the rude cashier thing is more of a generational thing than a regional thing. I could be totally wrong. I was a cashier when I was a teen, but back then we were taught as cashiers to smile, be polite, say "have a nice day" etc. Even if we weren't feeling it we were supposed to do it. It seems like these days they don't teach that to cashiers anymore. Part of why I always go for self-checkout when I can.

On the flip side of that, whenever I go to Dutch Bros. for coffee, regardless of who is serving, they are always super friendly and making small talk while you wait. I'm certain they are trained to do so because there is no way otherwise that all your employees are that chipper all the time. So yeah, it might be fake, but I'll tell you what it still puts a smile on my face every time I go there. More businesses should teach their customer-facing employees how to be like that.

I'm on the western border of Arizona. I've been here for 7 years. Before that I lived in MN and before that Northern CA. I don't notice a huge difference between any of them. Even with "MN nice" there were nice people and there were rude people. Here there are nice people and there are rude people. Sometimes I think just societal trend is trending away from 'always be kind' and towards 'always be your true self even your true self today is raging bitch'.
Weren't you a teen in Minnesota?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:40 pm I think the issue is too many California transplants.
I think people need to stop using that as an excuse for everything.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:41 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:33 pm Your interactions while shopping, have they been with younger people? Because I tend to think that the rude cashier thing is more of a generational thing than a regional thing. I could be totally wrong. I was a cashier when I was a teen, but back then we were taught as cashiers to smile, be polite, say "have a nice day" etc. Even if we weren't feeling it we were supposed to do it. It seems like these days they don't teach that to cashiers anymore. Part of why I always go for self-checkout when I can.

Weren't you a teen in Minnesota?
No. I grew up in California from age 9 - 19. The rest of my life before and after those ages was spent in Minnesota, until I moved here 7 years ago. Both my parents were born and raised in Minnesota.
Locked Previous topicNext topic